Captains Table Invite?

Crusin' from Fl

I'd much rather buy my own wine and dine with "Joe the Plumber".

Wouldn't have to hear and see people trying to be something they're not.

That's one of the biggest turn-offs for me.

Just my $0.02.

Jim

You are making a judgment about an event you have never attended and people you have never met.

We have been honored and happy to enjoy a number of dinners at Captain's Tables on various cruise lines. We are 'just folks' and have never been exposed to people 'pretending to be something they are not'. You don't think these very experienced hospitality business people don't see through that in the blink of an eye? Those are not folks that are invited.

If you have the opportunity to participate in such a fun occasion, go with an open mind and 'let yourself enjoy it.' You ever hear the expression, "Try it, you'll like it"?

It always amuses me that people would even WANT to eat with the Captain.

It's really NOT like eating with GOD.

He/she doesn't turn water into wine at the table.

It is not an occasion that would "float my boat".

Just my $0.02.

Jim

So right . Have been dining with ship Captains since I was a kid...just like everyone else..except for the couple of them that were not too impressed with themselves...again that could be said of any table mate.

I'd much rather buy my own wine and dine with "Joe the Plumber".

Wouldn't have to hear and see people trying to be something they're not.

That's one of the biggest turn-offs for me.

Just my $0.02.

Jim

I think I'd rather dine with "Jim the Cruiser"! You go, Jim!

I disagree. Being asked is considered an honor by many people, but that doesn't mean everyone is required to think it's such an honor. It's not at all like going to stay at someone's house and not dining with them. I don't pay to visit friends and family in their homes; friends and family aren't "hosting" me as part of their job; cruise ships aren't the same as private homes. Why shouldn't someone be able to say, "Thank the captain for his/her kind invitation, but we would prefer not to accept."? And why make others feel like they're somehow being rude if they prefer to decline?

As far as the experience itself. Some people do not enjoy dining at a table with strangers under any circumstances, so why should they feel obligated to do so just because the captain invited them? Wouldn't the invitation be better used by others who feel it is an honor and who'd have a wonderful time?

The wine is no doubt wonderful and the special menu is probably fabulous too, but I'm sorry to hear that the service is "much, much better" because good service is supposed to be something that all pax have paid for. Certainly I'd expect service at the captain's table to be impecable in every way, just not so much better that "regular" service seems lacking or less than professional. I have to say that we've had excellent service dining as just "regular" pax. (Of course, we've had marginal service too, but that's not typical.)

beachchick

Naturally, everyone has an opinion...and I'm happy that you feel that yours is the right one. I will stand by MY opinion that receiving an invitation to dine with the captain (on any vessel) is an honor and one that I wouldn't turn down...whether I'm paying for the voyage or not.

As for the service, of course I expect great service on a cruise and have fortunately always received such but I have no doubt whatsoever that dining at the captain's table would elevate that service to a much higher level.

It always amuses me that people would even WANT to eat with the Captain.

It's really NOT like eating with GOD.

He/she doesn't turn water into wine at the table.

It is not an occasion that would "float my boat".

Just my $0.02.

Jim

Hey, I totally agree! If I'm dining with the Captain, I might have to behave myself! LOL I think I do better with the regular passengers! Had an engineer at our table awhile back and he seemed a bit stuffy!

Naturally, everyone has an opinion...and I'm happy that you feel that yours is the right one. I will stand by MY opinion that receiving an invitation to dine with the captain (on any vessel) is an honor and one that I wouldn't turn down...whether I'm paying for the voyage or not.

As for the service, of course I expect great service on a cruise and have fortunately always received such but I have no doubt whatsoever that dining at the captain's table would elevate that service to a much higher level.

Um, sorry if I insulted you. I never said you shouldn't stand by your opinion. I said my opinion differed and that I disagreed with you on that point. I didn't say you aren't entitled to have the exact opinion you have. It's great that you consider it an honor. My point is simply that others don't necessarily consider it an honor and shouldn't be made to feel that they are "wrong" for not agreeing with those who do.

I have a question. You write that you have "no doubt" dining at the captain's table would "elevate that service to a much higher level." Does that mean that you haven't dined with a ship's captain? I ask because it sounded (at least to me) that you had personal experience with service at the captain's table being "much, much better" than the normal service, but I'm not sure if you're basing that on personal experience or conjecture. I do not mean this as a flame because I really would be interested in knowing whether it's true. I stand by my opinion that service should and would no doubt be flawless at the captain's table, but that all pax are entitled to expect excellent service. We shouldn't have to dine with the captain to get it.

Again: I'm not saying you shouldn't have the opinions you do. Disagreeing with them is not the same as saying you shouldn't have them.

beachchick

I have discorved that dining with the Captain or any of the Senior Officers goes deeper than my glamour, wit, conversational skills, education, knowledge, etc. This allows the Captain and his Firsts to evaluate how things are really going on board. At the tables we have had the 'fortune' to be invited to, there has always been a cross section of the guests on board and the conversation has been honest and open. No pretense. The officer at the table has always been able to get the dinner guests into a comfortable situation, regardless of social status, and, will be able to determine just how well things are being run, particulary involving that persons job on board. No need to seek an invite. Those cruisers are selected based on many evaluations. Not chosen by chance, but those who are thought able to provide insight to management.

That is exactly what we encountered as well. I seriously doubt folks who are so busy trying to impress are going to be invited. They look for people who will be interesting and fun and join in conversation.

Guess they did not look hard enough when we were invited. I seriously do not know how you you get invited (other than frequent cruisers). When we got invited we never talked to any of the staff other than our room attendant so I don't know how they could come up with interesting and fun or joining in the conversation. And seriously the folkes were trying to impress everyone else at the table.:rolleyes:

We have been fortunate to have dined with Captains on 5 different ships of 3 cruise lines. We know that one of the invites was simply because the ships' dining room manager had been our waiter many years earlier, and he thought it would be fun to put us with the Captain and personally serve us (the Captain thought this was very funny and asked us "who do you know" when he saw his dining room manager serving food). On 2 other ocassions it was simply because we have cruised many times with the various lines. The other two times we have no idea why we got the invite. We also had a recent invite on Azamara (during our first cruise with this line) which we declined because we just did not feel like dealing with the formality of the Captains table. But, this topic does bring to mind an old tale about cruising. Many years ago a very elegant wealthy lady was invited to dine with the Captain on the old Queen Mary. Her response was "Sir, I never dine with the hired help."

Hank

Um, sorry if I insulted you. I never said you shouldn't stand by your opinion. I said my opinion differed and that I disagreed with you on that point. I didn't say you aren't entitled to have the exact opinion you have. It's great that you consider it an honor. My point is simply that others don't necessarily consider it an honor and shouldn't be made to feel that they are "wrong" for not agreeing with those who do.

You haven't insulted me in any way. :) Personally, I don't care what others do in regards to accepting or declining an invitation to dine with the captain. In my opinion, it would be insulting to decline. But I cannot "make" others feel any particular way ("And why make others feel like they're somehow being rude if they prefer to decline?") any more than I can "require" others to think it's an honor ("that doesn't mean everyone is required to think it's such an honor")

I have a question. You write that you have "no doubt" dining at the captain's table would "elevate that service to a much higher level." Does that mean that you haven't dined with a ship's captain? I ask because it sounded (at least to me) that you had personal experience with service at the captain's table being "much, much better" than the normal service, but I'm not sure if you're basing that on personal experience or conjecture. I do not mean this as a flame because I really would be interested in knowing whether it's true. I stand by my opinion that service should and would no doubt be flawless at the captain's table, but that all pax are entitled to expect excellent service. We shouldn't have to dine with the captain to get it.

I haven't dined with the captain of a cruise ship. My assumption that the service would be much better is derived mostly from common sense. As an employee of a cruise line, I would want to make sure that the officers of my ship were given exceptional and outstanding service beyond what was expected of me in serving the rest of the passengers. As the maitre'd, I would keep myself pretty visible during service in case the captain had any special requests. And as the dining room manager, I would have my best servers waiting on the captains table. Of course no where in my posts did I say that the regular service was or should be substandard as you suggested ("just not so much better that "regular" service seems lacking or less than professional"). Perhaps I should have said "much better" instead of "much, much better"? ;)

At any rate, it's really a moot point because an invitation to dine with the captain is not one that comes about frequently, if at all, for the majority of us cruisers. :(

"I never eat with the help".

That's a quoted line from John Jacob Astor when asked to dine with the Captain on the Titanic.

We never have a desire as there are usually too many people dining at the table.

We usually sail on Regent so the wine is included anyway.

"I never eat with the help".

That's a quoted line from John Jacob Astor when asked to dine with the Captain on the Titanic.

We never have a desire as there are usually too many people dining at the table.

We usually sail on Regent so the wine is included anyway.

Captain's Table on HAL ships is always 8 or 10 people total at the table.

In days gone, we used to have special dinners hosted by the Captain in what was the King's Room (Captain's Dining Room then) and there would be anywhere from 14 or so to many more by adding more tables in the room. Those King's Rooms are now gone on most ships and are part of Pinnacle Grill. Those special Dinners used to be outstanding..... really wonderful. Great memories.

You are so right. We were invited once and in all honesty after doing it I would have perferred to sit at my regular table. If you aren't sitting right beside him you rarely even get to talk to him, and then everyone at the table tries to be "important and have lots, lots, lots of money" to impress the captain and here we are "farmers". We don't know how to impress anyone but our "banker". Much perferred the lay-back regular people that we normally sat with. Just my $0.02 (Canadian Dollar that is)

You are sounding more like my kind of person,,,,I wouldn't care less if I got invited to the Captains Table per say. We are staying in a Sky Suite on Celebrity but that probably doesn't matter.....money......well I guess I am spending most of it on the cruise, so won't have much to brag about - eh???

Too Funny

:D

You haven't insulted me in any way. :) Personally, I don't care what others do in regards to accepting or declining an invitation to dine with the captain. In my opinion, it would be insulting to decline. But I cannot "make" others feel any particular way ("And why make others feel like they're somehow being rude if they prefer to decline?") any more than I can "require" others to think it's an honor ("that doesn't mean everyone is required to think it's such an honor")

Good. It sounds like we're in basic agreement on the fact that people have different opinions and perceptions. It's so hard sometimes to "hear" tone of voice, etc. that I really was afraid I had insulted you.

I haven't dined with the captain of a cruise ship. My assumption that the service would be much better is derived mostly from common sense. As an employee of a cruise line, I would want to make sure that the officers of my ship were given exceptional and outstanding service beyond what was expected of me in serving the rest of the passengers. As the maitre'd, I would keep myself pretty visible during service in case the captain had any special requests. And as the dining room manager, I would have my best servers waiting on the captains table. Of course no where in my posts did I say that the regular service was or should be substandard as you suggested ("just not so much better that "regular" service seems lacking or less than professional"). Perhaps I should have said "much better" instead of "much, much better"? ;)

Sounds good to me.:D

At any rate, it's really a moot point because an invitation to dine with the captain is not one that comes about frequently, if at all, for the majority of us cruisers. :(

That's so true. I hope you soon get to experience a truly fine and unforgetable dinner at a Captain's table.:) (I mean that very sincerely.)

I think it's all good now.

beachchick

We have been honored and happy to enjoy a number of dinners at Captain's Tables on various cruise lines. We are 'just folks' and have never been exposed to people 'pretending to be something they are not'. You don't think these very experienced hospitality business people don't see through that in the blink of an eye? Those are not folks that are invited.

If you have the opportunity to participate in such a fun occasion, go with an open mind and 'let yourself enjoy it.' You ever hear the expression, "Try it, you'll like it"?

Hi, s7s!

We've enjoyed dining at the officers table on Celebrity many times, and couldn't agree with you more about the whole experience. By and large, the passengers we've met at the officers table were friendly, funny, and

over themselves.:D

We have never dined with the Captain but on a cruise a few years ago, after two of our number had been invited to his table, the rest of our table decided to invite the Captain to OUR table for dinner:p. We sent him a letter via the purser's desk. Of course, he regretfully declined but he did invite us all to join him for coffee and pastries in his cabin. We had a wonderful time talking to him and hearing about his life as a captain - so much nicer than trying to speak to him in a noisy dining room.

We were advised on another cruise that we were on the list to dine with the Captain at some time during the cruise but, in the event, on the night we were assigned, it was quite rough and the Captain had to stay on the bridge - we have never been asked since.

A year ago on the Galaxy we had a couple at our table who complained about everything. The food was never prepared correctly or it looked wrong or tasted awful. One night the husband sent his entree back 5 times! The service was terrible they said, and they had our waiter upset, the assistant waiter upset and the head waiter stopping by each night to soothe the situation.

When the rest of us at the table saw our waiter elsewhere on the ship we assured him that he was doing an excellent job. We said the same thing to the head waiter.

This couple also complained about their accommodations and a gazillion other things on the ship. They said they were so disgusted with the cruise that they were not going to leave any gratuities at all.

They got invited to sit at the Captain's table for dinner!!!

The rest of us had the best dinner time of the whole cruise.

Archived