Captains Table Invite?

Crusin' from Fl

I didn't say originally, because it doesn't really matter, but this couple was from England as were two other couples at our table. The rest of us at the table were really stumped that they were asked to the Captain's Table. From talking with the wife I got the impression that they had come from modest means but had done well. So, maybe they had tons of money and were in a high priced cabin. I never asked. All I know is that they were rude and haughty to use an old fashioned word.

What was interesting is that one of the other English couples could have boasted about their position in life but didn't. Turns out that through the husband's work (don't want to get too specific because don't want to identify him) they know Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip and all the royal family and associate with them on occasion. They were a delight and down to earth.

I went on an Alaska cruise on Princess about 20 years ago. Our table had me and my husband, a mother and daughter from Houston and an Australian couple. One night we went to dinner to find the table set for 7. A bit of a mystery until the captain joined us at our table. We were pleasantly surprised. Turns out he didn't have a captain's table, would just join a different table each night. He was a great guy.

Sally

A year ago on the Galaxy we had a couple at our table who complained about everything. The food was never prepared correctly or it looked wrong or tasted awful. One night the husband sent his entree back 5 times! The service was terrible they said, and they had our waiter upset, the assistant waiter upset and the head waiter stopping by each night to soothe the situation.

When the rest of us at the table saw our waiter elsewhere on the ship we assured him that he was doing an excellent job. We said the same thing to the head waiter.

This couple also complained about their accommodations and a gazillion other things on the ship. They said they were so disgusted with the cruise that they were not going to leave any gratuities at all.

They got invited to sit at the Captain's table for dinner!!!

The rest of us had the best dinner time of the whole cruise.

Oh, my gosh! We enjoyed 2 of our best cruises EVER on Galaxy!!!!

At least you & your tablemates got a dinner to enjoy WITHOUT the complaining of that horrible couple.

Really, tho, the folks we've met at the officers' table have been so enjoyable.:o

AND, some of the very NICEST pax we've met have been Brits!

I didn't say originally, because it doesn't really matter, but this couple was from England as were two other couples at our table. The rest of us at the table were really stumped that they were asked to the Captain's Table. From talking with the wife I got the impression that they had come from modest means but had done well. So, maybe they had tons of money and were in a high priced cabin. I never asked. All I know is that they were rude and haughty to use an old fashioned word.

What was interesting is that one of the other English couples could have boasted about their position in life but didn't. Turns out that through the husband's work (don't want to get too specific because don't want to identify him) they know Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip and all the royal family and associate with them on occasion. They were a delight and down to earth.

Beth - the couple on our table who dined with the Captain had connections with QE2 - the husband had been a senior officer on her. He was most put out when we wrote to the Captain with our invitation to dinner but luckily the Captain saw the funny side of it:D

As to getting an invite if we had royal connections, my DH played lawn bowls for many years for the Royal Household at Windsor Castle (although he did not work there). We often saw HM walking around the grounds with her corgis, all on her own. She often went to Frogmore (the royal mausoleum) and just sat in the grounds. She also came to the club's centenary celebrations. Perhaps I should mention my 'royal' connections on my cruise personaliser;) Perhaps my DH knows the couple who were on your table.

Chris

I would have presumed that the invite was actually meant for your table as a welcome absence of the couple for the night. ;) I have a feeling thats what was behind the invite..

Just a small point but the Captain has been usurped by the Cruise Director on some cruise ships now partly because many the cruise lines have stopped the captains drinking alcohol whilst on duty and partly, I suspect, because they are able to pass on this work to a subordinate. I will say that dining with the Cruise Director is much different in style, dare I say more entertaining and his wine tastes equally as good IMHO. ….Neil

Sometimes there are so many D+ pax that the staff divides the invitations to the Captain's table into two. One for the Captain and his 8-10 guests and another for the Hotel Director and his 8-10 guests. I have seen some Captains sparingly sip their wine and some abstain completely.

Archived