MUTS rollout schedule...

RickEk

I read this on another website. It seems Princess has released a schedule of when MUTS will be retrofitted to the rest of the fleet:

Golden Princess - May 2009

Dawn Princess - June 2009

Coral Princess - October 2009

Sun Princess - April 2010

Island Princess - October 2010

Diamond Princess - November 2010

Sapphire Princess - 2011

So sad. Looks like we only have another year or so to sail on Princess (other than the R-class ships). Never thought we'd see MUTS on the Island/Coral.

For those who prefer to sail without the constant intrusion of television on the open decks, what other lines are you considering?

So sad. Looks like we only have another year or so to sail on Princess (other than the R-class ships). Never thought we'd see MUTS on the Island/Coral.

For those who prefer to sail without the constant intrusion of television on the open decks, what other lines are you considering?

I don't understand why that would be such a deterrent not to sail with Princess as you can always move to a different pool area when MUTS is playing? I do agree that it is loud & overbearing at times but there are other seating choices.

I read this on another website. It seems Princess has released a schedule of when MUTS will be retrofitted to the rest of the fleet:

Golden Princess - May 2009

Dawn Princess - June 2009

Coral Princess - October 2009

Sun Princess - April 2010

Island Princess - October 2010

Diamond Princess - November 2010

Sapphire Princess - 2011

We don't see the Royal or other R-class ships on this list. When we were on the Tahitian last year, there was a "makeshift MUTS" near the pool one evening. A portable screen was set up, and a movie was shown. It was the old "Mutiny on the Bounty" produced in the 1930's. There were about 12 of us seated in lounge chairs.

Is it safe to assume that the former R-ships will not be retrofitted for MUTS?

DavidnSteph

A bit of a dramatic choice over a movie screen.

Well, there's always the Lotus Pool on the Island/Coral. We don't really enjoy the main pool on any ship we've been on. Too busy. We find the Lotus pool to be much calmer. Or the aft pools or spa pool on Grand-class ships. As mentioned above, is this really a dealbreaker for you? :confused:

We don't see the Royal or other R-class ships on this list. When we were on the Tahitian last year, there was a "makeshift MUTS" near the pool one evening. A portable screen was set up, and a movie was shown. It was the old "Mutiny on the Bounty" produced in the 1930's. There were about 12 of us seated in lounge chairs.

Is it safe to assume that the former R-ships will not be retrofitted for MUTS?

DavidnSteph

It would be correct to assume that the R-ships are "safe". They only have the one pool (and the makeshift MUTS sounds great, as long as they don't do it every night...).

I don't understand why that would be such a deterrent not to sail with Princess as you can always move to a different pool area when MUTS is playing? I do agree that it is loud & overbearing at times but there are other seating choices.
Actually, it's not just using the pool. I enjoy having lunch or dinner in the area outside the buffet (the aft is always crowded or too windy) and even though there are tables out there, it's impossible to eat or have a conversation with anyone. Yes, I could move to another pool area where there are tables set up but if I want to go back and get iced tea or anything, I have to go back 1/2 the length of the ship. We had lunch outside on the Crown Princess last summer a couple of times and the noise from MUTS was terrible. No one was watching it! And at dinner a couple of times, I counted at most seven (7) people watching MUTS yet the tables were full with diners and no one could talk above the noise.

Count me among those who will avoid going on a ship with MUTS if I can.

Actually, it's not just using the pool. I enjoy having lunch or dinner in the area outside the buffet (the aft is always crowded or too windy) and even though there are tables out there, it's impossible to eat or have a conversation with anyone. Yes, I could move to another pool area where there are tables set up but if I want to go back and get iced tea or anything, I have to go back 1/2 the length of the ship. We had lunch outside on the Crown Princess last summer a couple of times and the noise from MUTS was terrible. No one was watching it! And at dinner a couple of times, I counted at most seven (7) people watching MUTS yet the tables were full with diners and no one could talk above the noise.

Count me among those who will avoid going on a ship with MUTS if I can.

Oh, I know what you talking about when you say loud. On some of the ships the base is turned up so much I can feel it in my chest. I can understand the need to have it loud in the daytime but even in the nighttime showings they play it super loud when there's no need to since the pool noise isn't a problem.

I also have a problem with the loudness in the show lounge but a pair of ear plugs solves that for both my wife & myself.

Not me....I'm a movie buff and I LOVE MUTS! Nothin' better than sitting under the stars to watch a movie. In the daytime, I just go to a different pool or deck area. What's the big deal???

Oh, I know what you talking about when you say loud. On some of the ships the base is turned up so much I can feel it in my chest. I can understand the need to have it loud in the daytime but even in the nighttime showings they play it super loud when there's no need to since the pool noise isn't a problem. I also have a problem with the loudness in the show lounge but a pair of ear plugs solves that for both my wife & myself.

While I'm sorry to hear that the loudness of MUTS and/or lounge shows bothers you, I'm glad to know that there are folks who understand this problem. I can no longer tolerate the loudness of movie theatres or concerts other than the symphony. My temples start to throb, and I can feel my heart beating in my chest. On one occasion, I was in such distress that I ran out of the movie theatre sobbing and feeling nauseous.

I realize that many Princess passengers enjoy MUTS, but I do my best to avoid the area. I wouldn't stop sailing with Princess as long as there are other pools available during the day, and the sound doesn't become intrusive in other parts of the ship.

Sailing on the exquisite Emerald Princess again in 55 days!

Chris

Not me....I'm a movie buff and I LOVE MUTS! Nothin' better than sitting under the stars to watch a movie. In the daytime, I just go to a different pool or deck area. What's the big deal???

I agree. We loved MUTS on the Emerlad Princess, and there were times that it was so popular, that it was difficult to get a seat. It was best for football games, as the passengers were getting into the game. At times it felt as if you were at the stadium.

Good work, Princess!

It may not be for everyone, but there are other pool options for people.

While it won't stop me from sailing Princess, I'm with the others who don't like it at all! Thankfully one can still find a quiet deck chair on the Promenade Deck to do what one was originally supposed to do while on a cruise - watch the ocean roll by!!!

While it won't stop me from sailing Princess, I'm with the others who don't like it at all! Thankfully one can still find a quiet deck chair on the Promenade Deck to do what one was originally supposed to do while on a cruise - watch the ocean roll by!!!

Count me in. A move at night is fine...but something loud blarring all day long makes it impossible to carry a normal conversation, read a book, or just nap and enjoy the beauty of being at sea.

I don't mind at all if they tuned into a big game or special show...and again, at night, when you would expect folks to want to lay under the stars and watch a movie...great. But all the time...just not a fan. THIS is ONE reason the Sanctuary is so popular!

Do we know which pool is being "fitted" with MUTS? I am also one of those who has avoided ships with MUTS on them. It seems now I won't be able to avoid it though. I believe the Grand retro-fit placed the screen at the Lido pool. Some had said that didn't work well at all. Will it be at the Calypso pool on Golden, Diamond, etc?

Not to be overly dramatic...I too am finding more and more reasons to sail elsewhere. The end of unlimited internet for Elite passengers, the shrinking Room Service menu, now the MUTS infestation.

I'm not usually a complainer...but things are adding up.

You can count me as another person that prefers not to have MUTS while cruising. I have no problem with showing movies under the stars during the evening for anyone that wishes to participate but during the daytime I find it loud and annoying. Will it stop me from cruising Princess? No, but am happy to be sailing on the Coral before it's installed and since we're still attempting to decide on our 2010 cruise I must admit that the cruise on the Island we've been looking at is looking better at the moment since its not scheduled to be installed on her until after our 2010 cruise. :)

I would like to try it at least once just to see what it's all about. I often catch up on movies that I haven't seen yet while on a cruise. But that's on the small screen on the incabin TV. My qualm would be that it's too loud as I come from the "It Doesn't Have to Be Loud" school.

I really can't understand why they haven't adopted a wireless system to be used with MUTS. It would give everyone the chance to hear it perfectly without having to blast the sound and let each individual control the volume to their own liking. I suppose there would still be those who still want to feel the base sound, but for normal folks it would be a pleasure to be able to sit around the pool without having the humongous speakers blasting a kid movie for 2 hours at a time.

Archived