Stupid Credit Card Question...

cooncat_mom

I did a search, but no luck...Which credits cards are best to carry to Cozumel? Are Visa, MC and AmEx all equally accepted? Onboard I'm planning to establish the shipboard account with cash, but for time on shore, I'd like to be able to use a card as well as cash. Thanks!

I think Am Ex is a bit tougher, just like in the US. Some places don't take it b/c the fees they charge the merchants are the highest.

For convenience sake, I'd skip the on board cash, leave the cash in your bank at home. Put everything on the cards & then pay the bill in full the day you get home. Much easier IMHO.

Except for large purchases ashore I would do the exact opposite. Have the shipboard account covered by the credit card and use cash for most purchases ashore.

Many credit cards have a foreign transaction fee when you use them outside of the US.

Here are some of the fees as of last year (from CardRatings.com)

• American Express - 2%
  • Bank of America - 3%
  • Chase - 3%
  • Citi Bank - 3%
  • Washington Mutual - 1%
  • Wells Fargo - 3%

Charlie
  • Capital One - No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Discover - Rarely accepted overseas so not part of this list

I don't recall being charged a foreign currency transaction fee ever on a cruise. It seems that many ports do the transactions in $s anyway. I suppose it depends on where you're shopping.

But I don't make major purchases. I don't cruise to shop.

But I do take cash when i've booked an independent excursion that didn't require prepayment. You'll need cash for that and/or taxis and/or tips.

If I were planning on doing major shopping, I'd use a credit card. Then, you're protected if there's a problem with the purchase.

I've read that people have had their cc#s stolen in Mexico, so I'd be leery of using them there.

I think it really depends on where you're going and what you plan on doing in port.

The shopping is great right at the pier in Cozumel. They take the major 3 cards. I did not have a transaction fee for any purchases I made there. In Europe, many times there are transactions fees. I have not had any credit card fees in Mexico.......Or Cozumel at least :D!

The transaction fees are imposed by the bank, not the merchant. There may still be some cards that do not charge a transaction fee.

Click Here for a more current link of bank charges. Scroll down and there is a box that will show the rates as of August 18, 2008.

Discover does not have a foreign transaction fee. But, good luck finding a merchant that takes it abroad.

While you may see the final bill in dollars the actual transaction goes through in the local currency and is converted by the credit card bank.

Charlie

I did a search, but no luck...Which credits cards are best to carry to Cozumel? Are Visa, MC and AmEx all equally accepted? Onboard I'm planning to establish the shipboard account with cash, but for time on shore, I'd like to be able to use a card as well as cash. Thanks!

I would do the opposite. Set up your ship account with the cc, just makes it easier and you get your reward points. Pay it off right when you get home. I never take a cc to use on shore in Mexico. Huge fees plus they print the entire account number on the receipts, not just the last 4 digits like here. Anyone working where you use your card will have access to your account number. There are just too many reports of cc fraud to take the risk.

I would do the opposite. Set up your ship account with the cc, just makes it easier and you get your reward points. Pay it off right when you get home. I never take a cc to use on shore in Mexico. Huge fees plus they print the entire account number on the receipts, not just the last 4 digits like here. Anyone working where you use your card will have access to your account number. There are just too many reports of cc fraud to take the risk.

Wow, thanks for letting us know that. I usually throw away my credit card receipt without even looking at it and I would never have noticed that they print the entire number! :eek:

Capital One Visa is the only credit card in the US that does not charge fee to use outside the country. But they do not give reward points when you use it outside the country.

Other credit cards will charge you a currency fee of 1% and a usage fee of 1 %. But you still get your reward points.

American Express charges a flat rate of 2 1/2 %.

Happy Crusing :)

Marie

Be very careful when using your credit card in Mexico. My sister used her CC for a purchase during a cruise and a couple of months after getting home, she found charges made on that card that she didn't do. She only used that particular card on that cruise, not anyplace else, not even here at home, so it was discovered that someone at the shop where she purchased some jewelry, took the info off the card and made the purchases. Of course, she wasn't liable, but this isn't the first time something like this has happened. The same thing happened to a good friend of mine when she used a CC in Mexico. So be careful.

On the CC issues.. And I know this will bring up yet another disagreement..

Whichever card you use for your cruise, make sure that you notify them that you are going on a cruise, which ports you will be visiting and the dates you are traveling.. Also if you are planning on extending your holiday either pre or post cruise and where. This way, the CC folks will not hold or deny and valid charges..

I, personally, will carry only 2 cards. One for the cruise and the expenses that go with it and the second for emergencies only.. I will advise both CC companies of the plans and also advise the emergency card holder that their card is the emergency card.. All do understand and appreciate the heads up..

Archived