Wine cards v Wine packages

huskypup

Hi

We are sailing on the Noordam in Jan 09, on our first HAL cruise (Oosterdam April 08) we pre-bought the 5 bottle Navigator package - now we usually drink a full bottle with our evening meal. I have just noticed the price difference between the package and the card, I think it all comes down to how big the pours are on the wine card - here in the UK a bottle is usually about 4 or 5 glasses.

If the size of the pours are the same and you aren't fussy about wine - (which we aren't)

5 x Navigator = $171 - 20 glasses (at 4 a bottle)

20 glass wine card = $77

Anyone know how big the pours are on the wine card?, with the £ dropping against the dollar we need to save every penny we can.

Hi

We are sailing on the Noordam in Jan 09, on our first HAL cruise (Oosterdam April 08) we pre-bought the 5 bottle Navigator package - now we usually drink a full bottle with our evening meal. I have just noticed the price difference between the package and the card, I think it all comes down to how big the pours are on the wine card - here in the UK a bottle is usually about 4 or 5 glasses.

If the size of the pours are the same and you aren't fussy about wine - (which we aren't)

5 x Navigator = $171 - 20 glasses (at 4 a bottle)

20 glass wine card = $77

Anyone know how big the pours are on the wine card?, with the £ dropping against the dollar we need to save every penny we can.

I purchased the 20 glass wine card for my recent cruise. I found that the pours were pretty standard, such that I would expect that they would get somewhere between 4 to 5 pours from a bottle.

The big difference is the choice of wine. With the wine card, you get the house brand (for our cruise it was Stone Barn). This was drinkable and acceptable to me but for someone fussy about their wine selection, this might not be suitable.

With the wine package, you get to choose the wine from a selection that is a shelf higher than the house brand.

For me the difference was not worth the extra $$$ so I opted for the wine card. I enjoyed it and would do it again. It is ultimately a personal choice.

Can you use the wine card everywhere?

Tamarind?

At the shows?

At the pool?

At the buffet?

How do you select the wine? Is there a list?

:oSorry for all the questions. Just trying to get an idea of how it works before our cruise on Eurodam in December.

Can you use the wine card in the all of the restaurants (including the Pinnacle)?

Do you just hand over the card every time or do they stamp it at the end of the meal?

Can we both use the same card? (saves taking two out with us)?

Do you have to fight to get a drink with the wine card?, ie keep looking for the wine steward rather than him just fill your glass as he passes from your bottle already being chilled.

Can you use the wine card everywhere?

Tamarind?

At the shows?

At the pool?

At the buffet?

How do you select the wine? Is there a list?

:oSorry for all the questions. Just trying to get an idea of how it works before our cruise on Eurodam in December.

I'm not sure about the Tamarind, but on most (not all) ships you can not use the wine card in the Pinnacle. I don't know of any other restrictions.

You "select" the wine by asking for Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, white Zinfadel, or "sparkling". No options of brands - you get what they've got for their "house" wines! :)

Can you use the wine card in the all of the restaurants (including the Pinnacle)? See above

Do you just hand over the card every time or do they stamp it at the end of the meal?

most stewards take it and punch it each time

Can we both use the same card? (saves taking two out with us)? Yes. You can buy for the whole table! :)

Do you have to fight to get a drink with the wine card?, ie keep looking for the wine steward rather than him just fill your glass as he passes from your bottle already being chilled. We've never had a problem with service when using them

Can you use the wine card in the all of the restaurants (including the Pinnacle)?

Can we both use the same card? (saves taking two out with us)?

Do you have to fight to get a drink with the wine card?, ie keep looking for the wine steward rather than him just fill your glass as he passes from your bottle already being chilled.

You can use the wine card anywhere on the ship where there is a bar. I have used it in the Pinnacle with no problem.

You can share a card if you wish. All they want is at the end of your meal or when you get your wine at a bar is to punch a hole in one of the 20 numbers that are on the card (assuming you bought a 20 glass card).

In the dining room our wine steward had a glass waiting for me each night at dinner and was attentive if I was wishing for another glass. I never had any problem getting a glass of wine anywhere on the ship whenever I wanted it.

I had never heard of the wine card before. We're sailing on the Maasdam next month. I assume that I will be able to buy a wine card on board. Where?

Any bartender will be happy to sell you one. Just have to ask, they will take your cabin number, charge it to your cabin and they will hand you the card.

I found the wine card to be an excellent bargain and the house wines (Stone Barn) were quite good, IMO. My dining room wine steward was very attentive(I did buy the card from him, so he did receive the gratuity). But, when I used the card in the Amsterdam's Pinnacle Grill, there was a noticeable change in the attitude of the wine steward when he realized I was using the card. (This was noted by me on the end of cruise comment form.)

I just leave my wine card sitting out on the dining room table and the steward just punches it (or not) whenever he gets around to it. There are times when they neglect to punch it.

My twenty punch card lasted ten days on one cruise and I had three to four glasses per day. It was not that I noticed at the time that it wasn't being punched----I just did the math as the cruise came to an end.

I found the wine card to be an excellent bargain and the house wines (Stone Barn) were quite good, IMO. My dining room wine steward was very attentive(I did buy the card from him, so he did receive the gratuity). But, when I used the card in the Amsterdam's Pinnacle Grill, there was a noticeable change in the attitude of the wine steward when he realized I was using the card. (This was noted by me on the end of cruise comment form.)

The same shift in attitude was noticed on the Maasdam. I now buy a wine card from Seattle and a wine package once onboard from the sommelier, so as to insure that they receive the proper service charge.

Archived