Oscar Brown and Almonds and Coral Review

wild1apache

I want to say that I was on the Carnival Legend from October 26- November 3. My friend and I booked a tour with Oscar Brown for the day that we were in Costa Rica and I want to say that I think that this was the best/smartest thing that we did. It was so easy. He makes it so easy so all you have to do is enjoy yourselves. We arrived at the pier and there was a young lady holding up a sign with my name on it. She told me that she was with Oscar and she then brought my friend and I to him. Since there was only my friend and I in our group and we wanted to go zip lining and he was working with a larger group, he asked us if we minded going with his nephew in a car and he used the van for the larger group. It was no problem at all for us. Can I just tell you what a GREAT time we had???!!!! Oscar drove us over to his nephew, Ryan, and introduced us so that we felt comfortable and so that Ryan felt comfortable with us (smile)...after all, we were 2 single ladies...hahaha! After we left the pier area, Ryan drove us around and showed us parts of Costa Rica and told us a little about the history. He pointed out various points of interest and even slowed down so we could see them. On our way to a banana plantation, he asked us if we had ever had coconut water, since we both said that we hadn't, he pulled over at a stand where a young boy (maybe 8 or 9) was selling fruits and vegetables and he bought 3 coconuts. We drank the coconut water and it was interesting. Honestly, I didn't know that there was a difference- that one type of coconut provided coconut milk and another type provided coconut water. He also explained that we were in a relatively poor area and that a lot of people over there sold fruit and stuff along the road. We went to the banana plantation and had basically a private tour. It was just Ryan, my friend and myself- and all of the Del Monte workers. We saw what they were doing to prepare the bananas to come over to the US and wherever else... He then took us to see a couple of beaches- there's a beach with white sand and one with black sand and I am not going to tell you about them because you will just have to go see Oscar yourself (smile). Then came the location that we REALLLLLY wanted to go to. We went ziplining! Oh my goodness! What an experience! They run a tight ship over there at Almonds and Corals. They are extremely professional and I was very, very impressed. I would totally recommend Almonds and Corals and the whole ziplining thing in general. I want to say that I am a chicken. The way they put on your equipment for you so you don't mess that up and the way they lead you and guide you and hook you in on every platform every step of the way so you cannot get hurt is just great. After I stepped off of the first of 11 platforms I was still a chicken- nothing had changed. I bet you thought I was going to say that I took off on the next 10 like Tarzan- nope- not even close. But being scared like that and up so high kind of made it fun. It gave me a sense of accomplishment though and it was great! Seriously, the guides REALLY take every precaution to ensure your safety. I do want to mention that the Almonds and Corals is quite a distance from the pier though. It isn't like it is next door and the roads over there aren't fabulous so keep that in mind. There was plenty of time to do that though and still get a decent idea of Costa Rica. Ryan also knew little places that we could go to get souveniers that would not be as expensive as the regular places and I will tell you that the groceria is one of them. Coffee over there was cheaper than a magnet- I am serious! In any event, I just want to say that Oscar and his nephew Ryan provided us with an EXCELLENT day for an EXTREMELY reasonable- READ: EXTREMELY REASONABLE price. I would call him again in a heartbeat the next time I go to Costa Rica and I have already booked 6 people for him. They are my family members and so they would kill me if it wasn't good so I am very confident that they will have as good a time as I did if not better! Thanks Oscar! Thanks Almonds and Corals!

Just my two cents - we (me, husband, two sons ages 6 and 8) were with Oscar in April and we would higly recommend him. We went to a cocoa plantation, furniture apprentice school (sounds strange but interesting), banana plantation, did the river excusion, hit a beach, went to a guys house who had sloths and a baby monkey, went to someone elses house who bred exotic birds, etc... When my son got some mosquito bites that started to swell, Oscar stopped in a local pharmacy and got him some anti-itch, anti-swell ointment. Just an all-around, terrific experience at less than half the price that you would pay for just one of the ships excursions (I think we were with him for 7 or 8 hours and he charged around $140 total for the four of us!!).

Wild1 apache--Sounds great--we will leaving tomorrow and going on Nov. 13. We will be meeting Oscar (although there is another van I saw on these chat boards that also will be going when we are in port so there may be another ride for us--about 6 of us so far). I also had looked at Almonds & Corals website and communicated with Aurora (who is fabulous and very responsive like Oscar). I am trying to be an adventurer on this and all that Almonds and Corals has indicated is that it is safe although I could be a chicken. I gather the guides help you with everything. Was there a suspension bridge--was that scary? Are there railings for you to hold onto on the platforms--any fear there? I think I'm ready, just getting a little nervous but it sounds like fun. How long did the ziplining take? Also what time did you leave from the pier and return? Can't wait. I Appreciated your review.

Ziplining is very safe!!!! At no time are you not connected to the cables that hold up the platforms. I am not crazy about heights but didn't have a problem doing it. You can hold onto the cables and also there are wooden railings on some of the platforms, plus the tree. The bridge is held up by the same cables as you zip on. It was that first step off on the first leg that gave me butterflies in the tummy. Once that was over and I survived 36_1_1.gif it was I can't wait until I get to the next part of the zip.

You will have a ball. Take your camera, but be sure you have it on a strap around your neck or in a fanny pack.

SusieQT,

I am not sure if there is a weight limit or not. Two of the ladies that were in our group were very heavy. I am not sure of their weight but I would think that they close to 300 pounds. They put double harnesses on them both and they were the only two in their group. They didn't have a problem doing the zipline at all. In fact they were the first ones to do it..... 4_6_200v.gifI arranged the tour with Oscar and was the last one off...... I couldn't chicken out then... they would have lynched me.

The zipling is great...just got back from Costa Rica on the Galaxy cruise and the highlight was the zipling. Did the tour with Almonds and Corals and they are great. It is safe and you are connected to cables all the time. It is a little scary at first because of the heights, but after the first zip, it is a blast. The staff at Almonds and Corals were great, and very patient with all of us.

You can contact Oscar by phone

011 506 350 6415 for his cell phone or here is his email address

cbrown@costarricense.cr

Sometimes the email can be an iffy thing. If you look at other threads on this section of the CC boards you can get tips how to phone him cheaper.

Hope you hook up with Oscar as he is well worth the price and will show you a wonderful day in his country.

We just got back yesterday from our cruise. We used Oscar Brown and did the ziplining at Almonds & Corals. What an experience doing the ziplining! As some might have noticed from my previous posts I was really nervous (and so were some others in our group who decided to do it at the last minute). What an operation! Aurora and her husband Marco were great as were the guides. Although we were a little nervous for the first jump, they worked with me (and the others) and by the end we were professional zippers. You are so well harnessed in they will not let you go otherwise. It was great, and many kudos to Almonds & Corals. We all would do it again.

Oscar also was terrific. He was there at the pier--he had three vanloads. Our driver was Charlie who was very informative and told us a lot about the country and the sights. We went to the banana plantation and that was fascinating. We also stopped at a place where we saw a sloth and were shown and given various flowers, some used for perfumes. Also had the chance to drink coconut milk straight from the coconut.

Was a great day!

Piney,

I think that you were on the same tour with me and my family; we were in Oscar's van. My family had a wonderful time; however, I was unable to do the ziplining; too scary for me.

We all had a fantastic time on this cruise.

Wild1Apache: Thanks for the review. Did you see anything doing the ziplining (wildlife)?...or is it more for the fun of it? I am trying to decide if I want to do the ziplining...sound like fun. Thanks

Hi all,

We are booked on Galaxy for next April. I'm trying to decide if I want to do the zip line or the Aerial Tran tour. Is there anyone who has done the tram? If so, was there sufficient time to do the tour and get back to the boat? My husband doesn't want to do the tram or the zip, but wants to go along for the ride. Is there enough stuff to keep him interested?

Thanks for your help.

Melissa

Snowey,

We did see a monkey in the tree before we started to zipline. With our tour with Oscar he stopped along the road and we got pictures of a family of monkeys and also a beehive. One of our stops I got to hold Rosita, little monkey, and pet a sloth but didn't hold it.

Melissa,

I believe that Oscar has a tour for the Ariel Tram that he transports you there and then you pay for the tram at $49.50. I am not sure what he charges for the transportation part. Oscar is an independent that can drive you to where ever you want to go in his lovely country. He is a very imformative about his country and is very dependable.

• 2 weeks later...

We are sailing on the Carnival Legend January 30th, 2005 and will be in Costa Rica on Thursday, Feb 3rd. I've already contacted Oscar Brown and arranged a tour with him. $30 pp for transportation and the zipline is $40. So far, it's just the two of us...if anyone wants to join, Oscar stated he could take up to 12 people.

Jilly

You can contact Oscar by phone

011 506 350 6415 for his cell phone or here is his email address

cbrown@costarricense.cr

Sometimes the email can be an iffy thing. If you look at other threads on this section of the CC boards you can get tips how to phone him cheaper.

Hope you hook up with Oscar as he is well worth the price and will show you a wonderful day in his country.

How long does it take for him to reply by email? Anyone going on the Oscar tour 1/2/05?

Did you dock in Puntarenas? How long is the tour? Is anyone out there going to be do the "Oscar" on Jan. 2nd?:) Oh, any suggestions on the type of clothing to wear for this tour? Does anyone know what the weather is like in early Jan.? Any info is greatly appreciated. First time cruising to this area. Any good info on the Mexican Riveria? We love to snorkel and the beach. One more thing, I am a bit confused. What are the Almonds and Corals?:cool:

Piney10

Would it be possible to talk to you by phone? I would like to ask you some questions about your cruise and particularly about the ziplining. I live in North Potomac, so we must be neighbors (or nearly neighbors!). If you would not mind talking on the phone, you can send me your number or let me know you are agreeable and I will send you mine. Email me at virgenia@aol.com.

Thanks,

Virginia

cdmcmunn,

You said you did not do ziplining so what did Oscar do with you while others were ziplining. We are going with a group on 12/31 with Oscar and 2 people do not want to zipline. I was wondering what he would do with those two.

Archived