Alaska in May?

sallen31

I recently booked a cruise on the Sapphire Princess on their first sailing of 2009, which is May 16th. I chose this date because it is the least expensive because of the weather. Will it be too cold and icy in May? Should I pay an additional $400 to cruise 2 weeks later if cost is an issue for me. This is my dream vacation. Help?

If possible, spend the extra money and try for a couple of weeks later. I think you'd be happier with the weather and the availability of shore excursions, etc. We went in mid-Sept. in 2006, then again on May 31st this year - weather was better on the May 31st trip, which obviously took us into the first week of June. The big plus was the long hours of daylight (until 10:30PM most nights). I understand wanting to save the extra bucks, but if this is truly the trip of a lifetime for you, make sure you go when you can experience it properly - with shops open, excursions up and running, and better weather. I'm afraid the middle of May could take you into icy weather, for sure with snow on the ground. Good luck with your planning - these boards are a wealth of information! Enjoy your trip!

We went in early May and didn't have any snow. It was cold, yes, but we planned for that and had lots of layers.

I did wear a knit cap and mittens. Mostly we had wind, and some drizzle.

I liked it because I didn't have to worry about my hair frizzing. :D

Nobody really cared what they looked like.

We are planning another Alaska cruise, and it will be in May or early June.

Just another viewpoint. :)

Pat

I'm afraid the middle of May could take you into icy weather, for sure with snow on the ground.

There will be snow on the ground a few thousand feet up the mountains - certainly NOT at sea-level. We normally get a dramatic shift in the weather about May 20th, going from late-winter to mid-summer over the course of 3 or 4 days. On the 16th, luck my be with you, maybe not. My first choice is always the last week of May and the first week on June - that is the driest part of the season, usually with very warm weather. Warm meaning well into the 70s in the ports.

Are you at least doing some touring of interior Alaska, since this is your "dream trip"?? If so, then you are far better off going two weeks later, IF Denali park is on your list of things to do.

Hi Budget Queen,

Have you ever sailed the Coral Princess? Would you recommend a regular balcony on June 1st or a mini suite on June 29th (the mini suite will run $550/person more). According to other posts, I've read that the last few days of May and first few days of June are the driest, while late June/early July weather is warmer. I'll be traveling with older family members (in their 70's and 80's) who live in Hawaii and are not accustomed to cold and rainy weather. Ideally, we'd like to go when it is driest and warmest. Which would you choose? Will weather in late June/early July be much better than late May/early June? Currently, I have deposits on three mini suites on Sapphire Princess (NB May 30), but would like to change to Coral/Island Princess because these ships are a bit smaller (and my older family members enjoyed Celebrity's Millennium, which is similar in size to the Coral/Island Princess). Plus, the three mini-suites we have on hold on the 5/30 Sapphire are not covered, and after doing more research, it will be necessary to stay in a cabin with a covered balcony since my grandmas enjoy sitting out on the balcony and I want to keep them as comfortable as possible. What do you think?

[by the way, a little background information about us...my traveling companions have been on one cruise only and it was on Celebrity's Millennium in the Meditterranean. It was in the summer of 2007 and they loved it! Now, it's time to try Alaska! :) They're all (paternal grandma, maternal grandma, sister of grandma, and friend of grandma = four grandmas total :)) in relatively good health, which is why I like to try to plan trips like this for them, especially while they are still able to travel. Being that they all live in Hawaii, they don't get to travel much. Now that I'm older (in my late 20's), I told them that we'll go on a special cruise once a year (I live in Florida). These trips give us a chance to spend quality time together. Also, I arrane all of the logistics and do all of the planning and would appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks again!!!!:)]

Having sailed both the Sapphire and the Coral Princess - I much prefer the Coral Princess. Though, I have sailed the Sapphire 3x so it is not bad by any means - I (like you) like the 90,000 tonn size. I think the layout is better.

While I am not sure of this past year, the previous years - the Coral Princess has had an excellent naturalist onboard (Barbara). I didn't follow the boards enough this year to see if she was on this year. She is indeed excellent.

Hi Budget Queen,

Have you ever sailed the Coral Princess? Would you recommend a regular balcony on June 1st or a mini suite on June 29th (the mini suite will run $550/person more). According to other posts, I've read that the last few days of May and first few days of June are the driest, while late June/early July weather is warmer. I'll be traveling with older family members (in their 70's and 80's) who live in Hawaii and are not accustomed to cold and rainy weather. Ideally, we'd like to go when it is driest and warmest. Which would you choose? Will weather in late June/early July be much better than late May/early June? Currently, I have deposits on three mini suites on Sapphire Princess (NB May 30), but would like to change to Coral/Island Princess because these ships are a bit smaller (and my older family members enjoyed Celebrity's Millennium, which is similar in size to the Coral/Island Princess). Plus, the three mini-suites we have on hold on the 5/30 Sapphire are not covered, and after doing more research, it will be necessary to stay in a cabin with a covered balcony since my grandmas enjoy sitting out on the balcony and I want to keep them as comfortable as possible. What do you think?

[by the way, a little background information about us...my traveling companions have been on one cruise only and it was on Celebrity's Millennium in the Meditterranean. It was in the summer of 2007 and they loved it! Now, it's time to try Alaska! :) They're all (paternal grandma, maternal grandma, sister of grandma, and friend of grandma = four grandmas total :)) in relatively good health, which is why I like to try to plan trips like this for them, especially while they are still able to travel. Being that they all live in Hawaii, they don't get to travel much. Now that I'm older (in my late 20's), I told them that we'll go on a special cruise once a year (I live in Florida). These trips give us a chance to spend quality time together. Also, I arrane all of the logistics and do all of the planning and would appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks again!!!!:)]

copied

I'm not sure, but are you looking at extended sitting out on the balconies, like you would be in the Caribbean??? It is cold out there, meaning, they are going to have to be dressed up in several layers, hats gloves etc. . Are they likely to do this?? Or are you looking at balcony access for your glacier sailing day, with the ability to come in and out as need be?? Neither of these timeframes are going to be "warm" sailings. No way to predict weather either.

Final thought, is the increased cost, going to cut into your touring?? You may want to consider the priority of a great tour, and staying with the cabin you have, assuming they are port side for Glacier Bay?

• 2 weeks later...

Well today I decided to pay the additional cost and sail two weeks later, May 30th, Northbound on the Sapphire. Hopefully the two weeks will make a difference in the weather. The cost difference was an additional $230.00 total. Thanks for you comments everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived