Horizon Court Confusion?

Momma Mojito

Do any of you feel that the Horizon Court lines would flow smoother it it were brought to our attention in the Patters, on just how to serve yourself from the food stations.* Last year when we were on the Caribbean Princess* we waited in the lines...then came home and told everyone that this was one thing we didn't like...we didn't want to be rude and jump the line even though the food we wanted was in another area.* After coming home and reading information on Cruise Critic* just how the food stations operate, this year on the Crown we didn't wait in lines, although one morning the* entrance line was longer that usual so I entered from the exit.* I'm sure there were some passengers who thought we were rude just as we did last year.

An explanation might help. Many cruisers may not realize the buffet is set up in the "station" concept. Can't say whether the Patter would be the best vehicle to convey such an explanation....but, it couldn't hurt. They shouldn't put it anywhere near their announcements about being courteous to your fellow cruisers and not save deck chairs. :D:rolleyes:

We mostly eat only in the dining rooms, because we enjoy being served. But the few times we have eaten in the Horizon Court, we thought it was a chaotic scene at the serving stations. The traffic flow was disorganized. Cafe Caribe wasn't much better.

We don't blame you one bit for going in through the exit. We would probably be tempted to do the same thing.

DavidnSteph

I love starting from the exit. I fhere is any kind line, we head to the exit to see what is at the buffet. Then, and only then if the line is starting with what we want we head back to the line. Usually that is not the case and we pick up a platter and head to the station we want. For me, it is usally the omelette station After I place and order, I see what else I might want. We always agree on a meeting area. Most of the time Princess staff will bring silver ware and beverages once seated.

I pretty much learned to just go to the stations that you want food from. But I always waited for a break in the line to slip in. Though no one said anything I know I was considered a line jumper. The idea of putting something in the patter may work out well. (if everyone reads the patter that is. I have noticed that some people mention.... if they only looked in the patter daily they would know what is going on... what shows at night which are formal and the daily activities) so I guess you can not please everyone.....

I can tell you, working in a Customer Service capacity, many people these days are clueless about what's going on, and don't pay attention to direction, but I do agree that it would be helpful if the cruiseline found a way to convey the message that the Horizon Court has food-stations and not a typical buffet line. Frankly, we made the mistake on our first Princess Cruise thinking that it was the most chaotic buffet set-up we'd ever seen, since we were used to more traditional buffets on other cruiselines we sailed with. But after checking the posts here, we were finally set straight. All I ask is that people are courteous and use words like "excuse me" before they cut right in front of us and our plates!:eek::rolleyes:

After our Princess cruises, I STILL think the Horizon Court is chaotic. I wait my turn at each station that I want to get some food from, and some numchuck always jumps in right in front of me because "I just want this one item".................well, heck, I just want that one item, too, and I've been waiting my turn............you need to wait, too. If everyone jumped in front of everyone at every station, there would be food fights right there in the Horizon Court. I don't think you are polite when you jump in front of me, even if you DO say "excuse me". Why do you think you should be first?

End of rant...................JMO. :)

An explanation might help. Many cruisers may not realize the buffet is set up in the "station" concept. Can't say whether the Patter would be the best vehicle to convey such an explanation....but, it couldn't hurt. They shouldn't put it anywhere near their announcements about being courteous to your fellow cruisers and not save deck chairs. :D:rolleyes:

Thanks for explaing the station concept in your post. What I don't get is why people don't get that there are stations there. Just go get the food you want from each station. That is the good thing about the Horizon Court...there are no long lines (generally).

Whether you are new to Princess or an "old salt" one walk thru the Horizon Court and you will see that it is set up in stations - which - if everybody used correctly would not be any confusion. However, most people tend to think that it is a "high school" cafeteria concept where you get your appetizer, salad, entree, pasta, dessert, etc all on one plate then go to your table and consume it. Now please tell me the truth, if you dine in the regular dining rooms would you like to have all of your courses served at the same time??

Ron

I still do not understand why they designed the layout the way they did. I love Princess, but avoid the Horizon Court as much as possible. It just is not fun to go in there bumping in to people left and right. Other lines have much better set ups.
I have absolutely no problem with the Princess "station" concept and think it's much better than HAL or RCCL. Maybe I'm just used to it but I think it's better organized and much easier and quicker for passengers to get their food and leave the serving area.

If you want to see chaotic, you should have seen the buffet on our recent HAL cruise when just about everyone was disembarking for very early tours to Cairo. It was horrendous and the only way you could get food was to grab some juice and a muffin 'cause waiting in line for anything else, you would have missed your tour departure. People were grumpy and pissed that they couldn't get food and/or couldn't find a table. After that, I just ordered room service and refused to go to the buffet for breakfast, even on the very few sea days we had.

Any buffet area on any line is going to be crowded and pretty much unberable at the high prime times. I just feel out of all the lines, Princess Horizon Court has the worst layout for getting your food. There is plenty of seating, but the layout of the buffet area is just too cramped and all the people are squeezed into that small area. On my last cruise, I just avoided it at all costs and grabbed something at the grill or ate in the dining room.

After our Princess cruises, I STILL think the Horizon Court is chaotic. I wait my turn at each station that I want to get some food from, and some numchuck always jumps in right in front of me because "I just want this one item".................well, heck, I just want that one item, too, and I've been waiting my turn............you need to wait, too. If everyone jumped in front of everyone at every station, there would be food fights right there in the Horizon Court. I don't think you are polite when you jump in front of me, even if you DO say "excuse me". Why do you think you should be first?

End of rant...................JMO. :)

I agree. Cutting in front of someone already waiting at a station is very impolite. :eek: Cutting in front of someone waiting at a plate station and grabbing your plate in front of them is also very impolite. :eek: That's not the way the station concept works.

I think one thing that may help would be signs with the various items posted so that most of us can decide ahead of time what to get. It seems some of the long lines are caused by people who wait until they get to the front of the line and then try to decide. (I think I wrote this on the comment card).

As to getting your entire dinner ahead of time, I can see that. Especially if you're by yourself, as many times if you realize you need something, like a roll or butter, you need to get up and leave the table. Often your plate could be gone by the time you get back (by an overeager busboy). Many times, we end up taking turns getting our food and guarding our plates.

WEll, we never use the buffet for any of our three daily regular meals. We do, however, often go there in the afternoon for cookies, ice cream or snacks. I have no problem going to a station and just taking what I want. There are often pax just standing there trying to figure out what they want or fingering everything - I don't consider it rude to take something as long as there is noone standing either side of them.

Ron

WEll, we never use the buffet for any of our three daily regular meals. We do, however, often go there in the afternoon for cookies, ice cream or snacks. I have no problem going to a station and just taking what I want. There are often pax just standing there trying to figure out what they want or fingering everything - I don't consider it rude to take something as long as there is noone standing either side of them.

Ron

Awwwwwwww so you never use the buffet at the regular meal times, but you've been here disagreeing with people that do use it that have been complaining of it being to cramped and small? I see. :D

Awwwwwwww so you never use the buffet at the regular meal times, but you've been here disagreeing with people that do use it that have been complaining of it being to cramped and small? I see. :D

Sorry - I like to be served and have the food hot when it is supposed to be and cold when it is supposed to be..

BTW - I thought all Vegas Highrollers were treated like royalty and had Gourmet meals brought to their room - I didn't think a Highroller had to lower his standards and use the buffet?

Ron

Buffets are different from sit down dinners and you down right know that. People take it all on buffets. So whatever you are trying to say is mute, no?

I don't take everything at once. If I want soup, salad and an entree I would probably get my soup first and eat it, then get my salad and eat it and then get up and get the entree last so it all remains hot. Not a problem at all.

Archived