What is country club casual?

franu

Never having been to a country club, just what is country club casual? So many cruise lines use this description now for evenings not designated formal or semi-formal. I tend to comply with what is being asked of me but this one just leaves me confused.

Fran

Country Club casual, to me, is:

For Ladies:

- nice slacks (not dockers or jeans), skirts or even dressy capris paired with a nice top (not a golf shirt). I think of pretty silky tanks with a jacket or a sweater, or a sweater set.

- sundresses, casual dresses, shirt dresses

- nice shoes - dressier sandals make a big difference with things like capris

For Men:

- nice khakis with a button down shirt and jacket. In the tropics a tropical shirt works

- deck shoes, leather loafers

Country Club attire can sometimes vary by cruise line so my recommendation is to go to the cruise lines web site to see what their recommendations are.

The same is true for informal. On some cruise lines for men informal means sports jacket and no tie. For others it means sports jacket and tie.

Keith

With a cute jacket or nice shirt, pants, even khakis could work for a woman. Country club casual just means be comfortable, but not in shorts or tshirts. Capri pants on women is a popular look. Casual skirts. Flat shoes fine.

Golf shirts, polos on men. No jeans.

Janine-

Why khakis (Dockers) for men, but not for women?

Sue

Dockers on women are typically pretty casual ~~ more golf course than clubhouse. Maybe I've seen too many women in pleated front, tapered leg dockers that flatter no one. And they never seem to work with dressier shoes or sandals.

Of course, I'm just passing along what I would wear. Some women may look great in dockers with a really nice pair of boots, a blazer and crisp blouse.

Never having been to a country club, just what is country club casual? So many cruise lines use this description now for evenings not designated formal or semi-formal. I tend to comply with what is being asked of me but this one just leaves me confused.

Fran

Think ....you are coming off the golf course, showering and putting on "something nice" to enjoy a cool drink and dinner in the club house. Not dressy, but a cleaned up, ironed and put together look.

Think ....you are coming off the golf course, showering and putting on "something nice" to enjoy a cool drink and dinner in the club house. Not dressy, but a cleaned up, ironed and put together look.

Cleaned up, ironed and put together is the key. And of course, no (sloppy) jeans or t-shirts. Many country clubs have policies that prohibit denim, so I think that's how the term fits for cruisers too.

Fran

I take it you might be sailing with (or considering sailing with) Oceania? They refer to their dress standard as "Country Club Casual"...

I always found this one a bit hard as what may be worn at my Country Club in Southern California may be different from what is customarily worn at country clubs in more staid and traditional areas...

The way I read it is as "nice casual"...You're not wearing blue jeans and tank tops...or that NASCAR T-shirt...or the one that reads "One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor" that you bought in Ensenada on Spring Break your junior year of college...

During they day, I wear some nice Cargo shorts, a golf shirt, maybe a little classier T-shirt...At night, we go to the Dockers with a nice "sports shirt"--plaid, stripes, solid or print with a collar and buttons...

Don't wear jeans or sweat pants or the like to the dining room...

There is no formal night...but you do see some with a sports coat or jacket at dinner--though it is by no means required--must just be what THEY wear at THEIR Country Club...

Archived