Internet Access on Board

dleighb

I know there is wireless access in certain hot spots. Is there Internet access from the cabins on the Zuiderdam?

Also, when it is said to be slow. How slow is slow? My husband participates in a photo a day website. He hasn't missed a day in two years and is hoping that he won't have to miss one on the cruise when he has great subject matter. He will be using his own laptop rather than the cruise computers. Will that make things better or worse?

I brought my laptop and i am a photographer. I did a daily blog from my cabin. But I did it in a word program before going online to post. I found the service extremely slow and if he wants to post a picture he should know exactly which one he wants and make sure it is a small web size file so it will download quickly. I had all the sites I was going to go to in my favorites list before leaving home. That way I could access them quickly. I also had two browsers opened when I posted on seperate sites....so that each browser could be working. It was slow going and it took me 12 minutes each time just to post on two sites and check email quickly. I got the $100 worth (250 minutes) and used them all in two weeks.

I know there is wireless access in certain hot spots. Is there Internet access from the cabins on the Zuiderdam?
There is a wireless signal detectable all over the ship, but the speed that you get in your cabin will depend on how far you are from one of the hallway antennas. (Look for the truncated white cones, about 4" high, hanging from the ceilings, spaced about 15 cabins apart.) You can often get a better signal in your cabin by propping the hall door open about an inch and sitting in a chair just behind it! :) The cabin will also have a dial-up modem port, and the speed available there will not be much different from the wireless. Bring your own wire.

I've run tests from different locations on different ships and have never found a download speed better than 56 Kbps ... that's like dial-up.

I also had two browsers opened when I posted on seperate sites....so that each browser could be working. It was slow going and it took me 12 minutes each time just to post on two sites and check email quickly.
I have never run any actual tests, but IMO running two browsers would be counter-productive, as you are actually competing against yourself on each of them. The bottleneck is the satellite link, not your browser(s) or the site(s) you are connected to, so the more the load you add to the link the slower it will be. :)

There is no provision on the ship's computers to upload a photo - it would have to be done on a laptop. No real difference in speed as far as I could tell.
One HAL ship I was on (I think it was the Noordam but I'm not positive) had a small camera memory-card reader attached to each monitor. I think other ships may have them on some but not all computers.
Will that make things better or worse?
As Sundagger noted, I also have never found any appreciable speed difference between the ship's computers and my laptop.

• 5 months later...

If you bring you're own laptop and connect wirelessly, do you have to purchase minutes from the ship - purchase the wireless network code? Thanks for your help.

Laurie

Amersterdam to Alaska on 5/16/09

If you bring you're own laptop and connect wirelessly, do you have to purchase minutes from the ship - purchase the wireless network code? Thanks for your help.

Laurie

There is no network code (it is an unsecured network) but you must sign up for an account and login each time you want to run. The charges are the same whether you're using the ship's computers or your laptop, and they can be used interchangably:

$3.95 to sign up, then

$0.75/min or

$55 for 100 minutes, or

$100 for 250 minutes.

You will get bonus minutes for signing up on the first day.

If you bring you're own laptop and connect wirelessly, do you have to purchase minutes from the ship - purchase the wireless network code?

If you're connecting to the Internet, yes, you have to pay. It's the connection you're paying for, not the machine.

The rates are the same whether you use HAL's computers or your own. It's $3.95 access fee, plus either:

$0.75 per minute or

$55.00 for 100 minutes (there's an extra 10 minutes on the first day.) or

$100.00 for 250 minutes (an extra 20 minutes the first day.)

As has been said, the connection is very slow as there is a limit to the bandwidth; also, it'll depend on where the ship is with regards to the satellite coverage area (your on a moving ship, going from one satellite to another). The number of people and the websites they are accessing can affect speed dramatically. For instance, if you are just doing text email, it'll be OK (not fast but OK); if you're accessing a website with a lot of graphics, it'll be very, very slow. Also, there are times when there will be no Internet connection at all. It all depends on the satellites and coverage areas. Depending on where you are, there may not be any Internet for a day or more.

I've found that the best time to do email is either very early in the morning or late at night, after dinner, when there are fewer people online. Also, I had a big problem with the Internet person on the Amsterdam in January; I was using my netbook in my cabin and was going to close the connection by typing http://1.1.1.1 when my computer froze. I shut it down completely, turning it off, and the next day, checked with the Internet person to see whether any additional time was used as a result. He refused to talk to me, saying that they don't support Internet use in cabins and why wasn't I aware of that before using my computer in my cabin? I managed to get him to look it up and all was well but he was really nasty about the fact that I was using my computer in my cabin.

... if you're accessing a website with a lot of graphics, it'll be very, very slow.
That reminds me of another thing I have learned: the first thing I do on my laptop is change my home page to the very simple google.com rather than wasting time waiting for my normal complicated home page to load, which I won't even need usually. (A blank home page will not work.)

... the next day, checked with the Internet person to see whether any additional time was used as a result. He refused to talk to me, saying that they don't support Internet use in cabins and why wasn't I aware of that before using my computer in my cabin?
That's plain tacky!

I shut it down completely, turning it off, and the next day, checked with the Internet person to see whether any additional time was used as a result. He refused to talk to me, saying that they don't support Internet use in cabins and why wasn't I aware of that before using my computer in my cabin? I managed to get him to look it up and all was well but he was really nasty about the fact that I was using my computer in my cabin.

That's plain tacky!

I had the same problem with the Internet Manager on the Westerdam last October. He didn't even want to acknowledge that a signal was available. I was told that I had picked up a signal from shore before we left! Later that day I got back on without a problem so I didn't bother the Internet Manager again.

Rich

He refused to talk to me, saying that they don't support Internet use in cabins and why wasn't I aware of that before using my computer in my cabin? I managed to get him to look it up and all was well but he was really nasty about the fact that I was using my computer in my cabin.
If HAL doesn't want you to use a laptop in your cabin, then they shouldn't provide wireless access. :rolleyes: So, if you had brought your laptop to the internet cafe and used the wireless signal there, would it be supported? It's not like HAL isn't raking in money on internet fees. I guess I was lucky not to have any internet problems onboard, besides the usual slow/non-existant service. Plus, HAL's internet prices are higher than the other cruiselines. Celebrity and RC "only" charge $0.55/minute or you can get a package of 150 minutes for $55 and they don't charge a $3.95 sign up fee. It's always cheaper to stop by an internet cafe in port, but I don't always feel like finding one, especially if I have a busy day planned, so I usually end up buying an internet package onboard. I haven't figured out why service on the ships is so slow - outdated equipment? I've had to use satellite service on rigs and workboats for internet access. While the connection speed is slower than at home, it's still not as slow as cruiseship service unless there is a storm/heavy cloud coverage in the area.

He refused to talk to me, saying that they don't support Internet use in cabins and why wasn't I aware of that before using my computer in my cabin?

He didn't even want to acknowledge that a signal was available.
That's pure cop-out baloney!! HAL wouldn't have gone to the expense of installing all those hallway antennas if they didn't want/expect pax to be using computers in the cabins.

I haven't figured out why service on the ships is so slow - outdated equipment? I've had to use satellite service on rigs and workboats for internet access. While the connection speed is slower than at home, it's still not as slow as cruiseship service unless there is a storm/heavy cloud coverage in the area.
To start with, only about 1/2 the bandwidth of the satellite link on HAL ships is allocated to passenger use. Secondly, unless you are using the connection at very odd hours, you can be pretty sure that there are a lot more people sharing that available 1/2 than at your workplaces.

That's pure cop-out baloney!! HAL wouldn't have gone to the expense of installing all those hallway antennas if they didn't want/expect pax to be using computers in the cabins.

You are correct in saying it is a "cop-out". Most of the internet managers I have had to deal with barely want to do anything other than point out how to sign up for the minutes. I have seen several instances where the Manager was no where to be seen during hours he was supposed to be at his/her desk. In addition, you are in deep s*** if you are trying to use something other than a standard dell or equivalent laptop running Windows XP. They will not have any idea how to help you.

Rich

Laurie

Yep. The only time I was able to get a free connection was one time when we were docked in Curacao and I happened to be on my balcony and accidentally got an unsecured signal from somewhere and got on. The signal wasn't that good and it didn't last long though.

I wonder if anyone who uses something like AT&T and uses their "anywhere" access (I don't know what it's called) and has international service, they might be able to get online in the ports or close to some land.

I'm not sure if you can, but I think it would be nice if it works.

You are correct in saying it is a "cop-out". Most of the internet managers I have had to deal with barely want to do anything other than point out how to sign up for the minutes. I have seen several instances where the Manager was no where to be seen during hours he was supposed to be at his/her desk. In addition, you are in deep s*** if you are trying to use something other than a standard dell or equivalent laptop running Windows XP. They will not have any idea how to help you.

Rich

You are stating what IMHO is an accurate statement from my own experience. That having been said, as I have been in the computer software business for forty years, I must remind everyone that most of those associated with computers are nerds .. they are not taught the finer points of interpersonal relationships nor even proper etiquette of communications, unless it has to do with chips or packets.

harry

Archived