UPS or Fedex from Caribbean

tubasteve

Has anyone shipped liquor back to the states from the caribbean? I am curious if it is insanely expensive or worth it because of the low price of booze. Thanks:p

I gotta believe that the savings on the liquor would be gone after paying to ship it back to the US if it can even be done... :eek:

I work for their competition in Canada, and liquor is a prohibited item, and usually our policies are pretty similar. But, even if it is permitted, the cost of shipping would be brutal, especially from a non-US island back to the US. $40-50 for a 5 pound box wouldn't surprise me. Plus you also need customs documentation.

If you have to pay for shipping, then just buy the stuff at home! Any savings will be negated by the shipping fees, or over-weight luggage charges! Unless it's something that just isn't available in the states, then it's hardly worth it!

Some states prohibit the importation of wine from anywhere unless you're a licensed distributor. The money you save buying the stuff will be negated by the shipping fees and the US Custom's duty you'll be paying.

An alternative is to bring home your legal allotment in your checked baggage.

We took a foam liquor holder with us last week since our entire cruise was arranged around a stop in Barbados to purchase an after dinner drink that is made on the island and is available almost nowhere else. Any reason to cruise is a good one!!!

Many liquor merchants in the Caribbean are now selling blow up bottle containers and boxes strong enough to withstand the rigors of packing.

Everything came through just fine including a bottle of single malt that was already packed in its own case. I just added a thin foam sheet to the case. Everything was then put in a heavy plastic bag just in case.

If weight is an issue take one of the handy suitcase scales to avoid the airline charges.

Good luck.

Archived