I dont know what to do....help!!

kfirst

A friend brought up the idea to me back in October of this year about going on a cruise over the New Years holiday, it sounding really nice and I thought it would be fun to go on another cruise because I had such a great time on the last cruise I went one. Well after searching online and trying to find a good deal, I found a four night cruise that left Port Canaveral on December 29 and went to the Bahamas on the Monarch. This sounded really good and the price was right so we booked the cruise. Over the last few weeks I have been getting really excited about the upcoming cruise and was counting down the days until we left. Well I just got a phone call from my friend who is suppose to go with me on the cruise and he informed me that he just booked a flight to go spend time with family and will not be back in time to go on the cruise. Well needless to say I'm upset with this situation because he originally informed me that he was staying in the area and that is why we decided to go on this cruise.

The thing now is I have no idea what to do. I dont want to go on the cruise by myself because I think it would be a little boring to go on one by yourself and with the way everything is going with the economy, I don't know who would be able to afford booking a cruise at the last minute ( especially with the holidays so close ) to go with me. Has anyone been through this situation before?? What would you do??:confused:

A friend brought up the idea to me back in October of this year about going on a cruise over the New Years holiday, it sounding really nice and I thought it would be fun to go on another cruise because I had such a great time on the last cruise I went one. Well after searching online and trying to find a good deal, I found a four night cruise that left Port Canaveral on December 29 and went to the Bahamas on the Monarch. This sounded really good and the price was right so we booked the cruise. Over the last few weeks I have been getting really excited about the upcoming cruise and was counting down the days until we left. Well I just got a phone call from my friend who is suppose to go with me on the cruise and he informed me that he just booked a flight to go spend time with family and will not be back in time to go on the cruise. Well needless to say I'm upset with this situation because he originally informed me that he was staying in the area and that is why we decided to go on this cruise.

The thing now is I have no idea what to do. I dont want to go on the cruise by myself because I think it would be a little boring to go on one by yourself and with the way everything is going with the economy, I don't know who would be able to afford booking a cruise at the last minute ( especially with the holidays so close ) to go with me. Has anyone been through this situation before?? What would you do??:confused:

Does he have travel insurance? Do you? I need to know that before I can advise you.

No travel insurance for either one of us

Start calling your friends and family to see if someone can replace him. If not, it is up to you whether you want to cancel, but it is so close that you will be out most of your money if you do. I would go solo and have a great time. ;)

I would try to find a friend that could go along. I know since the cruise is so close your friend will be losing a portion of his payment (if not all). Maybe the new friend could offer to pay the "old" friend the amount of money that he would be getting back from the cruise line and then just switch the booking over to the new friends name. That way your friend who canceled would still get the money back that they would be getting from RCCL and your new friend would get to go on a cruise for a cheaper rate.

If none of that works, or just doesn't make sense, then just go by yourself and have a great time! I love cruising with my husband but I think there would be something very peaceful about going alone. Someday I just might try it!

Does your friend realize that he will not be able to obtain a full refund on his portion of the cruise? He might thinks its like a hotel where you can cancel within a 24-48 period without penalty.

Then I would try to fiind someone who can take his place for the cost of the portion of the fare that would be refunded by the cruise. That way, you won't be going alone, your "friend" would still only get his portion of the money back that he would anyway, and it might be easier for you to find another friend to travel with you since he/she would be getting a deal.

THEN...I would NEVER plan anything with this "friend" again. He/she is not much of a friend since he put you in a position of possibly loosing money you had put down in good faith if you decide to not travel alone and can't find someone to take his place. Friends don't treat friends like that.

Good luck.

Let me also suggest that you join the roll call for your sailing. Hubby and i just got back from the Serenade and while it is not the same as traveling alone, our trip would not have been the same had we not already "met" so many great people on our roll call. And maybe there will be other singles on the roll call or at least a group of new friends you can join in with. The roll call thread to me, is the very best thing about this site!!

Q: Can I make changes to a guest listed on my reservation?

A: Names may be changed up to 24 hours prior to sailing provided one of the original names remains on the reservations.

Name changes will be subject to a $35 per guest fee if one of the following conditions exist:

Request is made less than 35 days prior to commencement of cruise vacation (inclusive of tours)

Cruise Only documents have been issued

Air Arrangements have been assigned and documents have been issued. Travel agents or guests should contact the Custom Air Desk for resolution of any incremental air charges encountered as a result of the change

Pre/Post Hotel arrangements have been assigned to the reservation **Change fees are subject to change without notice.

Is there anyway to switch a passenger??

Absolutely not a problem this far out. You have three weeks. I assume that there is either no airfare involved, or not through RC.

Find a friend or friendly relative, or as others have suggested, get busy on your Roll Call and make new friends, and go and have a BLAST!

:)

Id go alone, but Im pretty independent and always was ok with going alone to things.

If you can find a friend to swap in, do that, but I wouldnt cancel and lose my money. I hope you didnt pay for your friend who is letting you down. That would stink.

Id go alone, but Im pretty independent and always was ok with going alone to things.

If you can find a friend to swap in, do that, but I wouldnt cancel and lose my money. I hope you didnt pay for your friend who is letting you down. That would stink.

I have to agree that if you can't find a friend to go with you, then by all means go by yourself. I did my very first cruise in Sept and went by myself. I was a little worried about it but I must say I had a wonderful time!!! I loved my tablemates and when I wanted solitude I was did that and when I wanted to talk there was always someone to talk to... I am pretty timid but it was so great that i am looking for my next cruise!! LOL

Cindy

You'd be surprised how fun and relaxing a solo cruise is. You do what you want when you want to. Get up when you want to and go to bed when you want to. Eat what you want to (or not eat) and drink what you want to.........someone tell me why I take DH cruising with me...

You'd be surprised how fun and relaxing a solo cruise is. You do what you want when you want to. Get up when you want to and go to bed when you want to. Eat what you want to (or not eat) and drink what you want to.........someone tell me why I take DH cruising with me...

Some one has to carry the bags:D

If you can't find a friend to go with you, go by yourself. I think you will have to make up the difference between what your friend gets back and the cost of the single supplement, but it's still a pretty decent way to spend the New Year.

The crew on Monarch will take great care of you. There are many friendly bartenders and bar servers who will keep you company and bring you libations, and the wait staff in the WJ and dining room will also give you fabulous service.

And, as others have said, make some new friends on your Roll Call.

Enjoy!

Forget your friend. Go alone or invite me. :D

Anyhow, just enjoy yourself. There is a little roll call as well:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=659005

Those cruise critic members will keep you occupied. :D

My goodness...the topic of this thread seems to be occurring a lot lately!

My advice...find someone else to go. I think I've read on these boards that you might have to pay a $50 fee to change the name of the reservation, but well worth it. Utherwise, just go on your own. You can probably hook up with other folks on your cruise who are traveling solo. By hook up...I don't mean HOOK UP :D. Anyway...there are several solo travelers on my 12/20 cruise...and they've already arranged a meet up and are dining together. So...GO!

I would go by myself; it couldn't be as boring as spending that much time at home alone. Definitley sign up for the meet & mingle and check out their board (there is a link posted here somewhere). Put your situation out there and see what responses you get. Take a couple of good books, spend the time relaxing and enjoying the solitude!

Go, relax and enjoy!!!

Well, it just so happens I'm not doing anything for New Years Eve...and I live in Florida...so problem solved....just take me...:D

But in case that doesn't work for you... I agree with the others...go alone... you will have a great time...the ship will be decorated and you don't have to worry about having a designated driver for the New Years Eve party...

If you go by yourself you will have to pay for the whole cabin anyway. Your friend if he is nice would let you take a friend with only $35.00 to change name. If you cancel you may get money back and would be better than paying more. Did you use a Travel Agent? They could help you. If not that is a lesson learned. Always use a agent. It doesn't cost you anything more.

Archived