New Warwick Long Bay Beach Bar?

Philly Steve

Environmentalists in Bermuda are sounding alarm over government approval of a new beach bar at Warwick Long Bay but supporters say the island chain needs more tourist dollars during the recession.

Environment Minister Glenn Blakney gave the "green" light after a developer appeal of a decision by Bermuda's Development Application Board. The board had ruled the project "breached regulatons."

Environmentalists say the project will degrade Warwick Long Bay but bar supporters contend that similar bars at Horseshoe Bay and Tobacco Bay have left a minimal green footprint.

The new bar will pay for the renovation of existing public bathrooms at the Warwick site.

http://www.bermudasun.org/main.asp?S...rticleID=39785

Naturally, as a visitor I would like to see some type of concession as well as new clean restrooms. However, if I were a resident I might have a very different view.

Bluesea777, Bdaguy, Pleiades, and any other Bermudians, what are your feelings?

• 2 weeks later...

I live about one mile from Warwick Long Bay and its one of the few natural coastal areas of the island. It is also a part of our national park system. A beach bar ? There is enormous outrage here ! There will be demonstrations and its my hope that this will be stopped. People can eat and drink in many locations and they don't need to spoil our parks just so somebody can make $.

My wife and I discovered Warwick Long Bay on our honeymoon 26+ years ago and have been frequent visitors to both Bermuda and that beautiful beach since then. Bermuda should preserve the pristine beauty of this beautiful spot and not permit the building of a beach bar there.

Don't presume all tourists want a bar. Many of us appreciate a beautiful natural unspoiled beach.

What a shame!!!

If they put it in the area near the parking lot like Horseshoe Bay, then I don't have a problem with it. If they want to plop it right on the sand on the beach then I have a real problem with it. Otherwise it mixes two things I like - the beach and drinks.

• 3 weeks later...

On Jan. 8th, a group of people including myself which cares for Warwick Long Bay and its future met in the car park there to hold signs in protest. Rather than write more here, I'm going to refer anyone interested to the website of the environmental group for further details. There is also a petition you can sign: go to "links" and "warwick long bay petition." Visit:

www.best.org.bm

Archived