Antarctica Clothing List

Jade13

Below is the list of what I have ordered so far, along with the sku numbers from LL Bean in case anyone is interested. The Minerva provides a jacket and pack-pack, as well as boots to borrow.

I still need to get DH a Fleece jacket and he will probably want one with a hood. He will not wear a scarf or anything around his neck. I already have a couple of gore tex suits but they are too small to wear over layers(could bring for around the ship), so I found these waterproof pants for $39.00.

I need recommendations on

1) Which socks to get? How many for 9 days? Do you layer?

2) Which pants? Just jeans?

Gear and Clothing

[url=http://www.llbean.com/]http://www.llbean.com

Women’s[/b]Polartec Long Underwear

Crewneck top - Midweight$32.00

Polartec Long Underwear

Pants - Midweight (51257) $29.50

Storm Chaser Rainwear Pants

Storm Chaser 3-in-1 Gloves (55927) $29.50

Fleece Hat (49123) $19.50

$19.95

(54640) $32.00 last year on Sale ( now $59.00)

Total $201.45

Polartec Long Underwear

Zip T top - Midweight[/b](51251)

Polartec Long Underwear

$36.50 51256) $29.50

Storm Chaser Rainwear Pants

Storm Chaser 3-in-1 Gloves $29.50

Men's Fleece Baseball Cap(51461)$19.50

Total Men’s $154.00TOTAL ALL $355.45

Corrected Post

==========

Below is the list of what I have ordered so far, along with the sku numbers from LL Bean in case anyone is interested. The Minerva provides a jacket and pack-pack, as well as boots to borrow.

I still need to get DH a Fleece jacket and he will probably want one with a hood. He will not wear a scarf or anything around his neck. I already have a couple of gore tex suits but they are too small to wear over layers (could bring for around the ship), so I found these waterproof pants for $39.00.

Gear and Clothing

http://www.llbean.com

Women’s

Polartec Long Underwear Crewneck top Midweight (51251) $32.00

Polartec Long Underwear Pants Midweight (51257) $29.50

Storm Chaser Rainwear Pants (56314) $39.00

Balaclava(49356) $19.95

Fleece 200 Jacket (54640) $32.00 last year on Sale (now $59.00)

Total $201.45

Men's

Polartec Long Underwear

Zip T top Midweight (51251) $36.50

Polartec Long Underwear Pants Midweight(51256) $29.50

Storm Chaser Rainwear Pants(45466) $39.00

Storm Chaser 3-in-1 Gloves (55911) $29.50

Men's Fleece Baseball Cap (51461) $19.50

Total Men’s $154.00

TOTAL ALL $355.45

Note that LL Bean has free shipping in both directions if you have their credit card (not sure about international shipping). Sometimes they will waive shipping if you ask. Right now if you spend $50.00 you will get a $10.00 gift certificate. You can get up to one certificate per order per day.

Are these good socks from Patagonia? I assume long socks would be best for the boots?

http://www.patagonia.com/

Midweight Ski Socks

We guarantee everything we make

$20.50

Style No. 49841

Versatile sock for skiing and boarding in cool to cold conditions.

The long cuffs and ribbed design of these versatile socks protect lower legs from boot-bang and prevent annoying migration. Four fabrics come together to provide exceptional performance in wet and cold conditions: 65% merino wool (chlorine-free) for warmth, 20% nylon for durability, 12% polyester for optimal wicking and 3% spandex for shape retention. The felted footbed acts as both cushion and insulation, while the knitted-in moisture-wicking performance lasts the lifetime of the sock. Height is 14.5”.

Details

• Our most versatile sock weight
  • Wool blend strategically knit for an ideal balance of durability, wicking performance and warmth
  • Soft, plush merino wool footbed is chlorine-free, itch-free and maintains durability and cushion for the lifetime of the sock
  • Looped Lintoe® toe construction creates the smallest and flattest seam possible for toe comfort
  • Knitted-in moisture-wicking performance
  • Shaft length extends to just below the knee for leg coverage under ski boots
  • 65% chlorine-free merino wool, 20% nylon, 12% polyester, 3% spandex with moisture-wicking performance
  • 122 g (4.3 oz)
  • Made in USA.

Ideal Uses

• Skiing
  • Snowboarding
  • Hiking
  • Trekking

Material

Chlorine-free Wool

Raw, untreated wool has scales that make it itchy and coarse and cause it to shrink, so most wool fabrics are treated with chlorine to reduce the scales. But chlorine is a pervasive pollutant that’s especially harmful to organisms living in water and soil. The merino wool in this garment is so fine it can be slow-washed without chlorine for softness and minimal shrinkage.

Technology

At Patagonia we seek to build the best product and cause no unnecessary harm. That's our mission statement, and it takes many forms. As it applies to making products, we work hard to source materials and use processes that are less harmful to the Earth without compromising quality. Because to us, quality is not only how well a product performs and holds up, but also how it's made.

Are these good socks from Patagonia? I assume long socks would be best for the boots?

Midweight Ski Socks

We guarantee everything we make

$20.50

Style No. 49841

Versatile sock for skiing and boarding in cool to cold conditions.

The long cuffs and ribbed design of these versatile socks protect lower legs from boot-bang and prevent annoying migration. Four fabrics come together to provide exceptional performance in wet and cold conditions: 65% merino wool (chlorine-free) for warmth, 20% nylon for durability, 12% polyester for optimal wicking and 3% spandex for shape retention. The felted footbed acts as both cushion and insulation, while the knitted-in moisture-wicking performance lasts the lifetime of the sock. Height is 14.5”.

Details

• Our most versatile sock weight
  • Wool blend strategically knit for an ideal balance of durability, wicking performance and warmth
  • Soft, plush merino wool footbed is chlorine-free, itch-free and maintains durability and cushion for the lifetime of the sock
  • Looped Lintoe® toe construction creates the smallest and flattest seam possible for toe comfort
  • Knitted-in moisture-wicking performance
  • Shaft length extends to just below the knee for leg coverage under ski boots
  • 65% chlorine-free merino wool, 20% nylon, 12% polyester, 3% spandex with moisture-wicking performance
  • 122 g (4.3 oz)
  • Made in USA.

Ideal Uses

• Skiing
  • Snowboarding
  • Hiking
  • Trekking

Material

Chlorine-free Wool

Raw, untreated wool has scales that make it itchy and coarse and cause it to shrink, so most wool fabrics are treated with chlorine to reduce the scales. But chlorine is a pervasive pollutant that’s especially harmful to organisms living in water and soil. The merino wool in this garment is so fine it can be slow-washed without chlorine for softness and minimal shrinkage.

Technology

At Patagonia we seek to build the best product and cause no unnecessary harm. That's our mission statement, and it takes many forms. As it applies to making products, we work hard to source materials and use processes that are less harmful to the Earth without compromising quality. Because to us, quality is not only how well a product performs and holds up, but also how it's made.

Dude - relax..you are going on a cruise ship not Shackleton's last exploration...*smile*

As anyone from places with extreme cold temps will tell you, layering is the name of the game, and normal clothes, (cotton long-sleeved shirt, sweater, with a normal windbreaker that will fit over them), jeans or cotton pants, normal cotton socks, (bring a pair of tights/leotards sure but you wont need them), and sturdy hiking boots like Timberland are fine. You just don't need all that cr*p you are obsessing over and you definitely don't need to order this from places like Patagonia - it's summer time :)

Cancel your order, head for Target and save your coin for some extras on the cruise - and have fun :)

Dude - relax..you are going on a cruise ship not Shackleton's last exploration...*smile*

As anyone from places with extreme cold temps will tell you, layering is the name of the game, and normal clothes, (cotton long-sleeved shirt, sweater, with a normal windbreaker that will fit over them), jeans or cotton pants, normal cotton socks, (bring a pair of tights/leotards sure but you wont need them), and sturdy hiking boots like Timberland are fine. You just don't need all that cr*p you are obsessing over and you definitely don't need to order this from places like Patagonia - it's summer time :)

Cancel your order, head for Target and save your coin for some extras on the cruise - and have fun :)

First, I ordered from LL Bean. The prices are less than half of what I have found elsewhere. Second, I was just looking at Patagonia for a pair of boot socks as they have the long ones that I did not see at LL Bean. Everything I have read recommends wool over cotton socks.

Our ship provides boots. We also do not need a windbreaker as the ship provides a jacket too.

We only ordered long underwear, gloves, hats and waterproof pants. Btw, do you consider those prices for long underwear expensive, or $39.00 for waterproof pants? It is the gortex that is $300.00 a pair. I thought this was inexpensive which was why I posted the information for those who might be interested.

We are not doing a drive-by, but going on a ship with landings.

We are not doing a drive-by, but going on a ship with landings.

Hi Jade – Thought I'd share what worked for us. We spent 3 weeks in Antarctica, South Georgia, South Orkneys & Falkland Islands on Society Expeditions M/V World Discoverer in Dec/97. This was during austral summer & day-time temperatures were 40-50 F but dropped considerably in the evening. However, the wind chill factor often made conditions seem much colder.

Society Expeditions provided us a water repellent expedition parka with hood (the classic red job) and knee-high waterproof boots that we used when on landings. We were given a packing list which was a bit OTT. We didn’t take everything that was suggested but some things were really important:

. silk underwear for base insulation

. med-weight polartec fleece tops

. pull-on waterproof trousers for over your regular pants (necessary for wet landings)

. waterproof windbreaker (with hood) for when you’re not wearing the expedition parka

. wool or fleece mittens (or ski gloves)

. wool or fleece hat/scarf – ear muffs under my jacket hood worked for me

. warm socks – technology has advanced since ’97 so you’ll have better choices than we did

. felt liners for inside the waterproof boots

. old sneakers that you don’t care if they get muddy or poopy.

The amount that you layer depends very much on your own personal thermostat. We rarely bulked up with heavy anything & were never uncomfortable.

And don’t forget your bathing suit for hot springs dipping at Deception Island! :cool::cool:

Hi Jade – Thought I'd share what worked for us. We spent 3 weeks in Antarctica, South Georgia, South Orkneys & Falkland Islands on Society Expeditions M/V World Discoverer in Dec/97. This was during austral summer & day-time temperatures were 40-50 F but dropped considerably in the evening. However, the wind chill factor often made conditions seem much colder.

Society Expeditions provided us a water repellent expedition parka with hood (the classic red job) and knee-high waterproof boots that we used when on landings. We were given a packing list which was a bit OTT. We didn’t take everything that was suggested but some things were really important:

. silk underwear for base insulation

. med-weight polartec fleece tops

. pull-on waterproof trousers for over your regular pants (necessary for wet landings)

. waterproof windbreaker (with hood) for when you’re not wearing the expedition parka

. wool or fleece mittens (or ski gloves)

. wool or fleece hat/scarf – ear muffs under my jacket hood worked for me

. warm socks – technology has advanced since ’97 so you’ll have better choices than we did

. felt liners for inside the waterproof boots

. old sneakers that you don’t care if they get muddy or poopy.

The amount that you layer depends very much on your own personal thermostat. We rarely bulked up with heavy anything & were never uncomfortable.

And don’t forget your bathing suit for hot springs dipping at Deception Island! :cool::cool:

Great. So, the felt liners for the boots is one I have not seen yet. Where did you get those, or is it something you made from felt?

How hot are the hot springs at Deception Island? I knew about the bathing suit and old tennis shoes.

Where are the South Orkneys?

I am sorry we are missing the Falkland Islands, but will spend more time on the Peninsula. I know it will be hard to get back there as even the mass market lines that go around the horn seem to miss the Falklands.

So, the felt liners for the boots is one I have not seen yet. Where did you get those, or is it something you made from felt?

How hot are the hot springs at Deception Island? I knew about the bathing suit and old tennis shoes.

Where are the South Orkneys?

I am sorry we are missing the Falkland Islands, but will spend more time on the Peninsula. I know it will be hard to get back there as even the mass market lines that go around the horn seem to miss the Falklands.

I’m pretty sure that we bought the felt liners, probably at Mark’s Work Wearhouse, though I really don’t remember. I think any sporting goods store or outdoor outfitter would be a good bet. Great idea to simply buy felt & cut to fit. But do it – you’ll thank me!

Deception Island is a blast. Geothermal springs seep into the waters near Pendulum Cove. I don’t know the exact temp but it was hot – at least as warm as the hottest whirlpool on a cruise ship. The trick, of course, is getting in/out of the water. It reminded me of watching the annual Polar Bear Swim – strip, run, jump in, soak, jump out, run, cover-up, drink something warm. If you don’t want to swim, you can burrow into the rough sandy beach & find some warmth beneath the surface.

I checked the expeditionary log that Society Expeditions gave us & it describes South Orkneys as some of the most remote & rarely visited islands off the northeast coast of the Antarctic Peninsula. They were once known as the “Inaccessible Islands” and are home to several research stations. This was ’97 so I expect they are more visited today.

You're so right about Falklands. It's a port call for many cruise ships on the SA itinerary but it's hit or miss as to whether they actually get in. I’m really hoping HAL Amsterdam makes it in when we go in March/09. After South Georgia, Falklands has the largest colony of King Penguins, resident year-round. I'm ready for another encounter! :D:D

Quinn - One of our most exciting zodiac outings was near Coronation Island in the South Orkneys, as we saw a leopard seal gobble up a poor little chipstrap penguin; and another leopard seal decided to attack one of our zodiacs, puncturing two of the air compartments. Fortunately, there are about six air compartments on the zodiac; so they just transferred the passengers to other zodiacs and towed the crippled zodiac back to the Hanseatic. Everyone was envious of the passengers on the attacked zodiac for the adventure.

If you have visited the magnificent colonies of Kings on South Georgia, you may find the tiny colony in the Falklands to be a major disappointment. We were strongly advised by our cruise staff on the Hanseatic to not waste time visiting the little colony near Port Stanley because it was simply not the same sort of experience as visiting one of the three huge colonies on South Georgia. Fortunately, we had the great good fortune to have good weather and good anchorage to visit all three of them. An experience we will never forget - walking among a half million King penguins. If we had to stop traveling today (which we sincerely hope not to do), the landings on South Georgia will remain the most delightful of our travel memories.

BTW, is your posting name taken from the Ian & Sylvia song, "The Mighty Quinn"???

Cheers, Fred

Wow Fred – Now that’s a story from South Orkney! I can’t touch it – our landing at Coronation Island and visit to Orcadas Research Station was pretty tame stuff compared to having a zodiac charged by a leopard seal! But we did have one of those nasty critters give us the evil eye from his ice floe when we floated past in a zodiac. Still nothing like the tale that your fellow travelers can tell.

I so agree that South Georgia is like nowhere else on earth. We also had the great fortune to do several landings, including magnificent Salisbury Plain. We walked amidst literally hundreds of thousands of Kings in various stages – eggs on parents’ feet, young brown chicks, juvenile “skookum boys” and glorious adults. We also landed at Gold Harbor & at Cooper Bay for close encounters with more Kings and curious Macaronis. Like you, these are some of our best travel memories.

When we were in Falklands before, we went to New Island Nature Reserve to see Rockhoppers. This time we plan to visit Volunteer Point for the Kings. Have you been there? I know the colony is nowhere near the size of South Georgia, but I'm still excited to have another chance to see Kings. Enough is never enough.

And yes – busted on my screen name! Cheers! :D:D

Are the Macaroni Penguins found anywhere on the Peninsula? I do not know which penguins we may encounter.

Jade - odds are very good that you'll see Macaronis on the Peninsula. Here's a great link about penguins/wildlife in Antarctica. :):)

http://www.antarcticconnection.com/antarctic/wildlife/penguins/macaroni.shtml

Jade - odds are very good that you'll see Macaronis on the Peninsula. Here's a great link about penguins/wildlife in Antarctica. :):)

http://www.antarcticconnection.com/antarctic/wildlife/penguins/macaroni.shtml

Thanks! I just orderd a book on Penguins of the World (locally, so if I don't like it I won't purchase) as I'm starting to wonder what we might see. I have seen Galapagos Penguins in the wild, and can't remember what other ones at various zoos. My only regret will not be seeing any King or Emperors...I recall there are 16 or 17 species I think?

Jade, I think you will be lucky to see Macaronis on the peninsula. A few do turn up sometimes but not in quantity. the large colonies consist of 3 types, Adelie, Gentoo & Chinstrap. Always possible of course to see odd ones of other types, even a King or rarely an Emperor. Good luck.

I spent about $20.00 and didn't even use some things such as an Under Armour shirt; it was WAY too hot for me wearing it. Layers are important - just not too many.

If you are heat sensitive, be careful not to overdress. With the expedition jacket AND a life jacket and a fleece shirt, I was far too warm on most landings. And, no, I am not a burly person; I am 5' 2" and 102 pounds.

A tip: Vick's Vapo-Rub to put under your nose - that penguin poo is pungeunt.

Jade, I think you will be lucky to see Macaronis on the peninsula. A few do turn up sometimes but not in quantity. the large colonies consist of 3 types, Adelie, Gentoo & Chinstrap. Always possible of course to see odd ones of other types, even a King or rarely an Emperor. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. We are not "bird people" so its about the last thing I have looked into. One thing that is interesting is that although I was a bit disappointed that we would not be going to the Falklands or South Georgia (just did not have the time, and dates on Minerva with Regent that includes Falklands on the shorter cruises did not fit our Schedule), well the itinerary with Abercrombie & Kent has 5 full days on the Peninsula (vs South Georgia with three days on the Peninsula) so better chance to find a variety of Penguins if they are around.

Btw, I am so glad I went with my gut and booked with someone that would take credit cards for final payment (Note both the Fram and Prince Albert II were not in the area when I made my deposit over a year ago) because I had used CVC agency that went out of business and I can only imagine what could have happened (if I had given them money that was not wired) as they closed the doors a week after I made my final payment.

Finished packing today :D Only have laptop and electronics, books that sort of stuff left. Leaving for London tommorow!!!! And for Ushuaia on the next day. I have to enjoy no frills Y class service on Air Berlin for over 15 hours... YIKESS!:eek:

Have a great cruise and please tell us about it when you return!

I spent about $20.00 and didn't even use some things such as an Under Armour shirt; it was WAY too hot for me wearing it. Layers are important - just not too many.

If you are heat sensitive, be careful not to overdress. With the expedition jacket AND a life jacket and a fleece shirt, I was far too warm on most landings. And, no, I am not a burly person; I am 5' 2" and 102 pounds.

A tip: Vick's Vapo-Rub to put under your nose - that penguin poo is pungeunt.

DH thinks I spent too much but interestingly he has already been using the long underwear for his runs. I certainly would not purchase underwear from a thrift shop :)

A couple of the things I returned, but kept the long underwear, waterproof pants, waterproof gloves (we just didn't have any) and hats. We just need long socks and will take your advice on the Vick's and Mighty Quinns advice on the felt for the boots. We certainly didn't spend the $450.00-$500.00 per person as shown on many packing lists/pre-packaged wear.

• 3 weeks later...

Jade13

Your list is right on the spot!!! And you good prices too!

A fleece to go over the other layers will be useful even if sometimes you will feel too hot. Better too hot than too cold, specially if by chance the weather changes and the group cannot came back to the ship for a couple of hours - it is rare, but not unheard of...

DO OBSESS about socks!!! The rubber boots they give passengers have thin soles, and cold feet is the number one reason passengers return earlier to the ship instead of staying ashore as much as possible.

The socks you describe sound excellent, and I might look for a pair myself!

Even better its non bleached wool, that means, good for the environment.

When I wear regular rubber boots, I wear two or three socks, depending on how could it is outside. If you have time in Ushuaia, they have this insoles made of sheep skin, that costs about US 10. I have one pair that i wore until they were flat! Much of the cold comes up through the soles of the feet, so the insoles provide a nice insulation!

I now bought a pair of Muckboots, and have no more problems with cold feet!!!!

Careful with cotton, specially cotton socks. Cotton absorbs moisture, and it does not evaporate. Merino wool is great, or technical stuff like thinsulate or mycrofleece, that wick your feet dry. If you are wearing cotton socks, and do some effort that creates sweat (like climbing up a snowy hill for a nice view of the surroundings), then stop the activity (like stoping up the hill for 10 minutes to observe the scenery, the sweat will cool down and make you very unconfortable.

Take at least two sets of socks, so you can rotate them, and wash one set as you wear another.

I never wear jeans under the waterproof pants, I find them too restrictive. I prefer a pair of fleece trousers, or if you don't have it , a pair of fluffly sweat pants.

I found that a pair of Crocs to wear around the ship between landings can be useful. Buy one that will accomodate the thick socks!

For the neck, I prefer a neck gaither - its a tube of fleece - to be less bulky and more protective than scarfs.

Corrected Post

==========

Below is the list of what I have ordered so far,

Gear and Clothing

http://www.llbean.com

Women’s

Polartec Long Underwear Crewneck top Midweight (51251) $32.00

Polartec Long Underwear Pants Midweight (51257) $29.50

Storm Chaser Rainwear Pants (56314) $39.00

Balaclava(49356) $19.95

Fleece 200 Jacket (54640) $32.00 last year on Sale (now $59.00)

Total $201.45

Men's

Polartec Long Underwear

Zip T top Midweight (51251) $36.50

Polartec Long Underwear Pants Midweight(51256) $29.50

Storm Chaser Rainwear Pants(45466) $39.00

Storm Chaser 3-in-1 Gloves (55911) $29.50

Men's Fleece Baseball Cap (51461) $19.50

Total Men’s $154.00

TOTAL ALL $355.45

Midweight Ski Socks

As anyone from places with extreme cold temps will tell you, layering is the name of the game, and normal clothes, (cotton long-sleeved shirt, sweater, with a normal windbreaker that will fit over them), jeans or cotton pants, normal cotton socks, (bring a pair of tights/leotards sure but you wont need them), and sturdy hiking boots like Timberland are fine. You just don't need all that cr*p you are obsessing over and you definitely don't need to order this from places like Patagonia - it's summer time

Cancel your order, head for Target and save your coin for some extras on the cruise - and have fun

Jade13

Your list is right on the spot!!! And you good prices too!

A fleece to go over the other layers will be useful even if sometimes you will feel too hot. Better too hot than too cold, specially if by chance the weather changes and the group cannot came back to the ship for a couple of hours - it is rare, but not unheard of...

DO OBSESS about socks!!! The rubber boots they give passengers have thin soles, and cold feet is the number one reason passengers return earlier to the ship instead of staying ashore as much as possible.

The socks you describe sound excellent, and I might look for a pair myself!

Even better its non bleached wool, that means, good for the environment.

When I wear regular rubber boots, I wear two or three socks, depending on how could it is outside. If you have time in Ushuaia, they have this insoles made of sheep skin, that costs about US 10. I have one pair that i wore until they were flat! Much of the cold comes up through the soles of the feet, so the insoles provide a nice insulation!

I now bought a pair of Muckboots, and have no more problems with cold feet!!!!

Careful with cotton, specially cotton socks. Cotton absorbs moisture, and it does not evaporate. Merino wool is great, or technical stuff like thinsulate or mycrofleece, that wick your feet dry. If you are wearing cotton socks, and do some effort that creates sweat (like climbing up a snowy hill for a nice view of the surroundings), then stop the activity (like stoping up the hill for 10 minutes to observe the scenery, the sweat will cool down and make you very unconfortable.

Take at least two sets of socks, so you can rotate them, and wash one set as you wear another.

I never wear jeans under the waterproof pants, I find them too restrictive. I prefer a pair of fleece trousers, or if you don't have it , a pair of fluffly sweat pants.

I found that a pair of Crocs to wear around the ship between landings can be useful. Buy one that will accomodate the thick socks!

For the neck, I prefer a neck gaither - its a tube of fleece - to be less bulky and more protective than scarfs.

I returned the Balaclava and also three neck gaiters as the ones from LL Bean are HUGE. My DH does not like anything around his neck. But, I am keeping a fleece scarf that is perfect. I also ordered four pairs (two each) of long (16" merino wool socks) from LL Bean that come in packs of two for $21.00. I have thick fluffy Fleece "sweats" but was going to use them to wear around the ship, so not sure now.

We both bought Fleece Jackets for $59.00 (but I had two $10.00 coupons so paid $39.00) and also received an $80.00 rebate check from this company because something I ordered with $80.00 more coupons was out of stock so this company just sent me a check.

Are you going to be on a ship in the area in February?

Also, which Map to you recommend for the Classic Antarctic Voyage, as I want to purchase a map?

Hi Jade 13

We spent last xmas and New Year [07/08]on the Minerva, or as it was then the Explorer 2, just before its name change, (but it was the Minerva before- a little confusing).

Our captain was John Moulds and cruise director Jannie Cloete, they were superb and really looked after the passengers, Jannie was the person who supervised the loading of the Zodiacs used to take you ashore. The ship will hold up to 400 passengers, but in the Antarctic its limited to 200, and this gives the boat a more casual and intimate feel, and you get to meet and recognise your fellow passengers on a daily basis.

There is an open bridge weather permitting, handy for whale watching and the like, and it can get pretty rough!!

I note you are unable to visit South Georgia or the Falkland Isles; this is a shame as we spent a couple of days visiting large penguin rookeries on SG.

The Minerva is a large ship, 12,000 tones, so she rides the waves well. If you suffer “mal de mar” may I suggest some patches worn just behind the year called in the UK SCOPODERM TTS the active ingredient is hyosine. These are a prescription drug in the UK, one patch lasts 72 hours. I presume they are also available in the USA, as hyosine was developed primarily as a ‘truth drug’. There have been reported side effects like dry mouth, but my wife, a very bad sailor, and she sufferd no ill effects at all and kept her going despite a few force 12 storms.

Food on the ship is good, with two restaurants, a sit down waiter service in one and on the veranda a more informal self service place. All drinks and gratuities were included, and the mainly Philippine staff were very very helpful, and got to know you by name after a few hours. You could sit anyware, and the staff would make you a special meal if required. My wife is vegetarian and she found the food excellent.

It was not as cold as I expected, with temps around zero to 7 deg Celsius, but the wind in placed strong. Deep snow can be expected in some places on the peninsular so Wellington boots are required. There are some on the boat but you will have to queue in line to have a fitting.

You will certainly enjoy this trip and you can track the progress of the Minerva on the UK’s Abercrombie and Kent’s website www.abercrombiekent.co.uk/destinations/antarctica

All the best on your cruise, and hope you have a good time, Caernarfon

The most I wore underneath the parka was a thermal layer in Antarctica, and just a tshirt underneath for the South Georgia landings. It is a heavy duty parka. YMMV! Somestimes needed an extra layer for the hours I spent out on deck.

More likely to need a good hat with ear protection, and good gloves (the ones with a pair of liner gloves and a heavy outer glove. A neck gaiter is also useful, or a balaclava. The zodiac cruises can be windy and cold obn exposed skin.

Also good socks - a liner pair and a good outer pair. Slogging through snow will make your feet cold quickly in wellies. You'll need at least 3 pairs as the landings are all surf landings, water has a way of getting under the water proof pants and into the wellies. That and my feet sweated quite a bit in the wellies.

Cheers

Archived