Booking excursions that start before ....

siestakeys04

I have seen excursions that start before we get to port. Do we book anyway or should we wait when we get on the ship. I wanted to have all my excursions pre-paid.:confused:

Confused, what do you mean they start before you get to port? if you have not even arrived in port you can't possibly make a tour that starts before you do and even after you do you have to wait for the ship to be cleared before they will let anyone off. and then If you happen to be at a tender port you have to wait for your number to be called or if you have a ship sponsored tour then you get off when they tell you for that tour.

If it is a ship sponsored tour it won't be leaving before you are in port.

So can you clarify your questions better?

According to our port time we arrive in cozumel at 11:00am (on carnivals web site) then lets say we want to do caverns by jeep one starts at 9 and 11. I know i could pick 11 but there are some that the only time they have to offer is an hour before we dock. Do we just book it and the time is just adjusted?

Are you looking to book through the cruiseline or independently? If you are booking through the cruiseline, they will only offer times that you can make while in port. The 9am time won't be offered on your cruise.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You cannot make a 9 a.m. excursion if the ship does not dock until 10. And, no, the tour will not wait on you either.

Please make sure that the independent tour price is refundable if you do not make port in time for the excursion.

We have never arrived there on time on our four western Caribbean cruises.

According to our port time we arrive in cozumel at 11:00am (on carnivals web site) then lets say we want to do caverns by jeep one starts at 9 and 11. I know i could pick 11 but there are some that the only time they have to offer is an hour before we dock. Do we just book it and the time is just adjusted?

Just because the website says you'll be there at 11, there is no guarantee that you will be there...and it also won't mean that you can immediately get off the ship and meet your tour at 11. Sounds like you're trying to book independent trips? You need to be careful about making sure you get back to the ship on time, too -- at least 30 minutes before the ship says it is going to leave. If you're late, and you've booked your excursion independently, the ship will not wait for you and you'll be responsible for getting yourself to the ship at the next port, at your expense.

It sounds like maybe you're new to this cruising experience? You might want to stick with cruiseline-based excursions for your first time, and see how all that works, before striking out on your own.

I can understand why someone new to cruising is confused. It sounds like you are looking at excursions offered by the cruise line.

Cruise lines list their excursions that appear to accommodate a number of different cruise ship schedules. One ship may arrive at 8:00 and another at 11:00.

If you are booking through the cruise line they list excursions at 9:00 and 11:00 and your ship doesn't dock until 11:00 try booking the 11:00. The tour agency MIGHT adjust the time since they are working through the cruise line. It is also possible the tour will not be offered on your cruise because of the time limitation.

Are you looking at the times for your specific cruise? I would think it is an errror if the times are listed before the ship arrives or exactly at the arrival/departure times. Try logging in to your reservation on the cruise line's web site and after you have accessed your specific reservation clicking on the link to book shore excursions. If you still are seeing suspect times I would call the cruise line and inquire as to what is going on.

Unless you are booking an excursion through the ship, you won't make either excursion. The tour won't wait for you.

I have seen excursions that start before we get to port. Do we book anyway or should we wait when we get on the ship. I wanted to have all my excursions pre-paid.:confused:

Looking at the count-down clock, the pre-booking on the ship is closed. So, pre-booking thru the cruiseline isn't an option.

All other options have been discussed.

Hope you get the excursion you want.

After boarding, go to the "Excursions" desk. The people there can answer your questions plus sell you tickets for your excursions of choice, providing there are any left. Many people do make their purchases prior to boarding.

We just returned from our cruise on Sunday (Carnival). We had booked all our excursions through Carnival in advance. We had a 9:00 am excursion booked in Cozumel even though we knew we wouldn't dock until 10:00 am. We didn't worry about it and it was no problem. I don't know why the tour was listed for 9:00 am. The only thing I can think of is that the ship does sometimes change the time it docks-sometimes earlier, sometimes later. If the OP is booking through the cruise line, there is nothing to worry about, but I sure wouldn't book the 9:00 am tour if there is an 11:00 am excursion available and the ship isn't actually docking until 11:00 am.

After boarding, go to the "Excursions" desk. The people there can answer your questions plus sell you tickets for your excursions of choice, providing there are any left. Many people do make their purchases prior to boarding.

cruiselines do hold availabilty for booking onboard. Not everyone has access to a computer- Some dont even want to book til they know what they weather will be like.

Excursions could sell out from online though--

Archived