Alert Lifeboat drill participants

matondo

Having just returned from my third HAL cruise I would like to take a moment to reflect on the lifeboat drill.

-When the drill starts you are supposed to already be at your lifeboat station wearing your jacket.

-Check in with the man or woman who is holding the clipboard when you arrive.

-Don't chat or call out to others who are on other lifeboats.

-Stand where they ask you to stand and don't grumble about it after all it is just a drill.

Sorry just had to get that off my chest. It was so frustrating to see people wander in 10 minutes after the alarm has sounded with their life jackets in their hands totally clueless as to what is going on.

My philosophy is do whatever it takes to get it done and over with so the relaxing and partying can begin. Thank you for letting me vent.

Since showing up before the alarm sounds is how things would go if the alarm actually sounded in a real emergency... seems counter-productive to safety imo, prepares you for nothing. Who am I to argue with coast guard though =/

I don't count my vacation as starting until after the Lifeboat drill. I get so mad at the people chatting away about their cabin or what they have seen on the ship already while ignoring the room numbers being called. We all end up staying longer because they have to go through the list three or four times. A-A-R-R-G-H

My husband says I should put my I-pod on and let him respond to our room number so I don;t get so upset.

I'm a complete rule-follower. On my first cruise, I heard the instructions, which I interpreted as "once the alarm sounds, make your way to your lifeboat station". Of course, I was the last one there, and got filthy looks from everyone. Sigh.... learned from that one, and am never "late" for muster drill now!

I couldn't agree more with the OP!

After my first ever muster drill, where various people were blowing on the whistles that are attached to the life vests, I resolved that on my future cruises I would have something to say about it. Sure enough on my next cruise there were many fine upstanding passengers blowing on those &^#%&)% whistles! So I turned around and said "take a minute and think about where those whistles have been" and sure enough, there was nary a whistling sound for the remainder of the drill :)

I thought the life boat drill was to test how many ways you can avoid them. Since I cannot bear the thought of hanging 50 people up on the deck I guess I can cooperate. I will be there first and glare at every one of you stragglers who arrive after me. :D

I wish HAL would use a different method for their muster drills rather that mustering at the assigned station on the open deck. The alternative method, used by Princess, Celebrity, and others, is to muster in a designated lounge. That probably wouldn't improve passenger behavior but it would be more comfortable and practical.

Always bugs me when adults are messing around when I'm standing there with my two young kids, who manage to be quiet through the thing because I've told them how terribly serious it is. Of course, the kids are used to disaster drills at school--and, also, we've threatened them with no Club HAL if they act up. We took our son (age 9 now) to the traveling Titanic exhibit, and he's read a lot of marine history--so he is DEADLY SERIOUS about muster drill. Perhaps HAL will give him a job (payable with a soda card) spouting maritime disaster statistics to the goof-offs.

various people were blowing on the whistles that are attached to the life vests

Just remind those people how old the ship and life vests are and how many different people probably blow into THAT whistle before them.

That just may change their tune !

The alternative method, used by Princess, Celebrity, and others, is to muster in a designated lounge. That probably wouldn't improve passenger behavior but it would be more comfortable and practical.

In an emergency you won't be comfortable. Might as well get a taste of it at the drill.

I prefer the HAL method of mustering at the boat.

I've never understood why people insist on taking the drills so lightly. I've been on enough cruises to know how to put that lifejacket on in 10 seconds, and figure out where my lifeboat is and what the emergency lighting is, but I still take it seriously - you have to.

The whistle thing never ceases to amaze me either - probably the same people who dip their fingers in the sauces in the lido to 'test them'! ;)

I only ask that for those of us who have only cruised once (and that was 10 years ago), that people remember that not everyone can do everything as quickly and efficiently as those who have cruised many times. I will follow whatever instructions I am given. If they tell me to report to my station when the alarm is given, then that is what I will do. If they tell me to be there at a certain time, then that is what I will do. I hope that there are written instructions somewhere. (Although it seems like being there and ready defeats the purpose of a drill because it is unlikely that in the event of an emergency everyone is going to be organized with their vests on at the time the alarm sounds.)

I will also have my camera because I take pictures of EVERYTHING and that includes all the aspects of the cruise whether the relaxation or the mandatory life vest drill. I promise, however, that I will be quiet, listen for my room number, and not blow the whistle which I can only imagine would be very annoying if 1800 people are doing it.

It also sounds like I should bring my iPod and play a game of Sudoku as one can only take so many pictures of a drill before it is over. Aw, heck. Maybe I should just bring the laptop

I wish HAL would use a different method for their muster drills rather that mustering at the assigned station on the open deck. The alternative method, used by Princess, Celebrity, and others, is to muster in a designated lounge. That probably wouldn't improve passenger behavior but it would be more comfortable and practical.

A major purpose of the drill is for each passenger to know where his lifeboat station is - and how to get there. Conducting the drill in a lounge misses that point entirely - it also trivializes the significance of the exercise in the minds of the passengers. Also, nothing is gained by waiting for the alarm before proceeding to your station- except prolonging the exercise for everyone else.

The drill is a pain but better to have gone through it before it is needed. I think a lot of people arrive early so they can use the elevators. Once the alarm shounds you can't.

The crew also pratices and at times this includes lowering all the boats. Better safe than sorry.

A major purpose of the drill is for each passenger to know where his lifeboat station is - and how to get there. Conducting the drill in a lounge misses that point entirely - it also trivializes the significance of the exercise in the minds of the passengers. Also, nothing is gained by waiting for the alarm before proceeding to your station- except prolonging the exercise for everyone else.

I disagree. If there was a real emergency that demanded evacuation, the odds that you would use your assigned lifeboat are pretty slim. Having a muster station, be it a lounge or a spot on the open deck is what is important so that everyone can be accounted for and directed to the point where they can wait or be evacuated. Using a lounge as a muster location allows flexibility in moving passengers to safe locations and usable lifeboats. It is impossible to predict the situation that would require evacuation but there are likely scenarios that would render some lifeboat stations unusable (fire, listing, collision damage, etc.). Directing passengers to usable lifeboat stations from a lounge makes a great deal of practical sense.

I only ask that for those of us who have only cruised once (and that was 10 years ago), that people remember that not everyone can do everything as quickly and efficiently as those who have cruised many times. I will follow whatever instructions I am given. If they tell me to report to my station when the alarm is given, then that is what I will do. If they tell me to be there at a certain time, then that is what I will do. I hope that there are written instructions somewhere. (Although it seems like being there and ready defeats the purpose of a drill because it is unlikely that in the event of an emergency everyone is going to be organized with their vests on at the time the alarm sounds.)

I will also have my camera because I take pictures of EVERYTHING and that includes all the aspects of the cruise whether the relaxation or the mandatory life vest drill. I promise, however, that I will be quiet, listen for my room number, and not blow the whistle which I can only imagine would be very annoying if 1800 people are doing it.

It also sounds like I should bring my iPod and play a game of Sudoku as one can only take so many pictures of a drill before it is over. Aw, heck. Maybe I should just bring the laptop

I am cruising HAL for the first time but I'd be surprised if it were different than other lines I have cruised on and other lines do have personnel at the stairs etc to guide you and give directions. It is not a big deal other than you hurry up to wait. Hopefully everyone shows up and no one hides in their rooms until they find them so the wait is not as bad. If we are lucky it will go flawlessly and we'll be out of there painlessly. Now that you mentioned the whistle you know you are going to want to blow it! Admit it. :D

I think a lot of people arrive early so they can use the elevators. Once the alarm shounds you can't.

You can if you need to. People who can't use the stairs are still able to get to the drill, even after the alarm has started.

One elevator in each bank is an emergency elevator, and remains operable. I don't know if the other elevators in the banks also remain operable during the drill.

Having just returned from my third HAL cruise I would like to take a moment to reflect on the lifeboat drill.

-When the drill starts you are supposed to already be at your lifeboat station wearing your jacket.

-Check in with the man or woman who is holding the clipboard when you arrive.

-Don't chat or call out to others who are on other lifeboats.

-Stand where they ask you to stand and don't grumble about it after all it is just a drill.

Sorry just had to get that off my chest. It was so frustrating to see people wander in 10 minutes after the alarm has sounded with their life jackets in their hands totally clueless as to what is going on.

My philosophy is do whatever it takes to get it done and over with so the relaxing and partying can begin. Thank you for letting me vent.

Just a comment on wearing vs. carrying the life vest...that varies by cruiseline, but I'm sure there are many that aren't aware of that. On Princess, you are instructed to carry it, and the crew will demonstrate the proper way to put it on.

I also agree with some of the other posters that it's good to have the drill indoors. If they can get people together and all accounted for in a comfortable atmosphere, it's got to be quicker. It sure gets very crowded out on deck when everyone's out there. People can use the rest rooms if necessary, everyone will be more comfortable inside, rather than outside. They will actually be able to see the demonstration, rather than being stuck at the back and not seeing a thing. I'm sure they don't want anyone to panic and jump overboard in the event of a real fire/emergency evacuation! :eek: I think no matter which way the drill is done, there will be people who don't take it seriously.

I am cruising HAL for the first time but I'd be surprised if it were different than other lines I have cruised on and other lines do have personnel at the stairs etc to guide you and give directions. It is not a big deal other than you hurry up to wait. Hopefully everyone shows up and no one hides in their rooms until they find them so the wait is not as bad. If we are lucky it will go flawlessly and we'll be out of there painlessly. Now that you mentioned the whistle you know you are going to want to blow it! Admit it. :D

They were set adrift somewhere in the Yucatan Channel.

lifeboat.jpg

"We Won't Do That Again Will We"?

I've done muster drills on both Princes and HAL and I prefer HAL's way: sitting in a lounge seems to make people pay even less attention.

Archived