drinking age

smurf63

On our Pride cruise last year, some friends were at a restaurant with their 13 year old son for lunch in P.V. (they own a restaurant so he's used to the environment) and jokingly ordered a shot of tequila and a beer when his dad ordered a beer for lunch and the waiter actually brought it to him! Of course, dad got more to drink than he had planned!

I keep hearing conflicting answers, what is the drinking age on the ships?

There are no conflicting answers.....only one. Here, from Carnival's website:

Drinking Alcohol On Board

The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. Carnival reserves the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. In the event that Bar/Restaurant/Gift Shop staff are in question that a guest is less than 21 years old, they shall request picture identification, prior to serving the drink or selling the bottle of liquor.

I keep hearing conflicting answers, what is the drinking age on the ships?

Yes you probably will get conflicting answers because not too many years ago if your parents signed a waiver 18 years or older could drink beer or wine. As a matter of fact it was like that on Royal Caribbean on our sons wedding cruise in 2005.....so if you have talked to anyone that has not cruised in awhile they would think it was still like that:)

There are no conflicting answers.....only one. Here' date=' from Carnival's website:

[b']Drinking Alcohol On Board[/b]

The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. Carnival reserves the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. In the event that Bar/Restaurant/Gift Shop staff are in question that a guest is less than 21 years old, they shall request picture identification, prior to serving the drink or selling the bottle of liquor.

I gave the same answer, only the shorter version, in post #2

The rule on board the ship is 21, is it practiced?

Maybe, depends on who the under 21 is with, but I have within the past year seen passengers as young as 17 served alcohol on the ship. They were with their parents which is probably why it happened, but it does happen, and before you ask they were not mine.

On shore all islands in the caribean are between 16 and 18, and they don't ask either.

I gave the same answer, only the shorter version, in post #2

Well, goody for you.

Some who post on here aren't aware that much of the information they seek can be found on Carnival's website.

Anyone can give an opinion...which may or may not be correct......citing the website shortens the process.....and validates the correct answers.

The rule on board the ship is 21, is it practiced?

Maybe, depends on who the under 21 is with, but I have within the past year seen passengers as young as 17 served alcohol on the ship. I take issue with this statement......they do not and will not serve anyone under 21.....and, if anyone in the party buys a drink for a minor, they an their party can be removed from the ship at the next port of call. They were with their parents which is probably why it happened, but it does happen, and before you ask they were not mine. No, it doesn't happen....not on a Carnival ship. You are giving out incorrect information here.

On shore all islands in the caribean are between 16 and 18, and they don't ask either.

From their website:

Guests who attempt to purchase alcohol by using false identification or the Sail & Sign card of a Guest who is twenty-one or older will be deemed in violation of this policy. Any Guest twenty-one or older who attempts to or purchases alcohol for any guest under twenty-one will also be deemed in violation of this policy. Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation.

On most islands, if you have money in your hand and can see over the bar, they'll serve you.

I take issue with this statement......they do not and will not serve anyone under 21.....and' date=' if anyone in the party buys a drink for a minor, they an their party can be removed from the ship at the next port of call.[/color'] No, it doesn't happen....not on a Carnival ship. You are giving out incorrect information here.

I take issue with this statement... Your statement of policy is factually correct. Granted.

But to think and state so seriously 'it doesn't happen' - ever - that's just not true. Just like some minors on land can manage to in one way or another find themselves with access to alcohol (not condoning, recommending, proposing or advocating), so can some at sea. It happens.

Have to agree younger than 21s can sometimes obtain alcohol on the ship.

Cruise in June I found a very young looking kid very sick and throwing up late one night. I asked how old he was and he said 17. From the looks of what was laying on the deck he had been drinking something with coke.

He would not say where he got it, however he said he and his friends were drinking and they had left him when he got sick. In this case I believe it was more likely a parents stash/older person buying because of the mention of his friends. I turned him over to a worker and I assume he was taken to his parents.

I can not say if Carnival was serving them or not, but he was proof for me younger than 21 yr olds can get alcohol onboard.

Second case I have seen with my own eyes. Just before a show one night, two young ladies sat next to me, they looked to be about 20 something. Gave their order to the server and he came back and told them you had to be 21 to order alcohol. True or not, they told him they had been ordering the same thing all week without a problem. He said sorry and moved along. They discussed this for a few min and decided to go somewhere else to order and left.

In Jan just before show, son ordered an alcoholic drink. He is 26. The server requested to see his ID before even writing the order down. I had seen him order drinks before with no questions asked.

The Drinking age on Carnival ships is 21 - you canverify this in the Cruise Contract (and probably the FAQ's) on the website. It doesn't matter that you're off the Coast of a under 18 country or even in the port of an under 18 party. Adults who buy for an underage passenger can be thrown off the ship (at the next port!) for doing so. ken

From their website:

Guests who attempt to purchase alcohol by using false identification or the Sail & Sign card of a Guest who is twenty-one or older will be deemed in violation of this policy. Any Guest twenty-one or older who attempts to or purchases alcohol for any guest under twenty-one will also be deemed in violation of this policy. Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation.

On most islands' date=' if you have money in your hand and can see over the bar, they'll serve you.[/quote']

Good, you can quote the website, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I seriously doubt that you have ever been on a cruise or out from under your bridge in your life.

Carnvial does not care who drinks, unless they get out of control, and then they might use the rule.

If anyone is going to get in trouble it is not going to the the guest it is going to tbe the crew member but be that as it may, it happens and minors are sold alcohol on Carnival ships on a regular basis.

Good, you can quote the website, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I seriously doubt that you have ever been on a cruise or out from under your bridge in your life.

Carnvial does not care who drinks, unless they get out of control, and then they might use the rule.

If anyone is going to get in trouble it is not going to the the guest it is going to tbe the crew member but be that as it may, it happens and minors are sold alcohol on Carnival ships on a regular basis.

I agree with you... for someone to say that it never happens, that's just insane... it most certainly does happen :rolleyes: I don't know that it's a "regular basis", but I'm sure there is the occasional rogue bartender that doesn't care about losing his/her job. However, we have seen people put off the ship... so it's not jst the crew that gets in trouble. One family got a warning (adult was buying alcohol for underage kids)... there was no 2nd warning, they waved goodbye to us from the pier. They do care who drinks but it's more from an insurance/legal/media nightmare standpoint I would imagine... I think handled responsibly, young adults that are close to the legal drinking age when done in their parents supervision will be fine as long as the parents understand the consequences and everyone keeps in on the DL :p

Good, you can quote the website, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I seriously doubt that you have ever been on a cruise or out from under your bridge in your life. Normally, I'd let this rot pass. However, today I'm feeling touchy. While this uncalled for response is totally out of line, my ego has broken through at this moment so, let me say this: I've 32 years in the travel industry.....was a Cruise Host/Tour manager for over 10 years, have well over 200 cruises under my belt on most of the oceans, seas and rivers of the world....on current ships and many that are now defunct. On 12/14, I'll embark on my 62nd Carnival cruise and on 1/3/09 - my 63rd Carnival cruise. I cruise 2-4 times a year - on Carnival.

Carnvial does not care who drinks, unless they get out of control, and then they might use the rule. This information is so wrong that it's hard to believe that anyone who has ever sailed on Carnival would make such a statement.

Again, your total lack of information on the cruise experience is shown by your last statement. Bar tenders will NOT ever serve minors....ever.....

Archived