Please help - Trip Insurance for a person with pre-existing medical condition

NYrunner

I am hoping someone on these boards may be able to offer advice for a dear friend of mine.

I am currently booked on a Feb '09 cruise with a group of friends. Unfortunately, one of my friends just found out that she may have breast cancer. She is going for a surgery consult next week. I've done a little research and have discovered that it is possible to get trip insurance with a pre-existing medical condition, but it seems that you must buy the insurance no later than 24 hours after final payment is due. Our final payment was due on December 1, so it seems like it may be impossible to help her out. Does anyone know of a company that has a different policy and may be able to provide trip insurance to my friend. Yes, I know that they are not in business to lose money...I just want to try anything/everything to help out my friend.

Go to tripinsurancestore dot com

Get there 800 # off website call and ask for Becky! She will answer all your questions and help with no pressure whatsoever.

Have bought my last 3 policies from her and have been very happy. My DH has a heart condition and she always helps me find the best plan.

Good Luck to your friend and I wish her only the best!

Travelex and Travel Guard offer pre-existing conditions coverage if purchased within 21 days of booking.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

• Administrators
They said it is not possible. Well...if anyone knows anyway to help out I would appreciate it. If not, thanks for trying.

I'm so sorry for your situation. :( The bottom line for most insurance is by the time you know you need it, it's too late to buy it -- and that's what's biting your friend now. It's cheaper and much easier just to purchase an "in case" policy before you know there's a need for one. If you know you have a potential need for the coverage, there are small windows/exceptions -- for previously-existing, medically stable conditions, some companies will sell a policy IF you book it nearly simultaneously with booking your travel, OR if you pay a large premium increase by booking at final payment. There are possible litigation points in those situations -- like whether the traveler was "medically stable" and so on, but at least the possibility does exist. Unfortunately, in your situation your friend missed both the time of booking and final payment windows.

IF your friend had booked insurance at the time she booked the cruise (or at final payment, for that matter), before she knew of this health issue, it would almost certainly have been covered. I wish you and your friend the best, and this is a really painful way to learn the value of trip insurance -- for that I'm so sorry. :(

On the positive front, at my age I've had a number of friends in the pink ribbon club -- it's December, and February is 2 months away. Depending on what the docs and surgical consult say, it's entirely possible your friend will be able to make the cruise with you.

If your friend just found out about the possibility of cancer, I don't think that it is a pre-existing condition. That only refers to conditions that existed before booking a cruise.

I would ask the insurance companies if they cover any illnesses that arise after the booking. Of course, don't mention that there is already that possibility, because then they would decide in their favour and not yours.

Good luck and a good outcome for your friend.

I just spoke to a rep from Insure My Trip and she said that there is no insurance that would cover her because she already knows she has a health condition. It would be different if she had purchased the insurance even two days before her diagnosis, then she could be covered, but now that she already knows, there's not any insurance, not even Travel Guard's Silver plan, that would cover her for this. She said it would be similar if someone called trying to purchase insurance because they know a hurricane will be in the area where she's cruising. Once the storm is predicted, no insurance can be purchased. I'm very sorry.

• Administrators
If your friend just found out about the possibility of cancer, I don't think that it is a pre-existing condition. That only refers to conditions that existed before booking a cruise.

I would ask the insurance companies if they cover any illnesses that arise after the booking. Of course, don't mention that there is already that possibility, because then they would decide in their favour and not yours.

Good luck and a good outcome for your friend.

But the friend didn't book insurance at the time she booked her trip (if she had, the OP wouldn't be here). Pre-existing condition coverage, to be sure, applies only when someone knows they have a condition but it's medically stable. Booking no insurance, but trying to after you suddenly find you have a medical problem, is... basically... just not going to happen.

• Administrators
Maybe your TA could transfer her booking to a different cruise? The TA may have some other helpful ideas. It wouldn't hurt to ask. Best of luck to your friend!

Um, that kind of suggestion is also known in legal circles as "insurance fraud" and it's punishable in most cases by 5-25 years.

• Administrators
Why insurance fraud? If the friend doesn't have any insurance that shouldn't be an issue. People change bookings all the time.

AH! You just meant to delay the cruise for everyone! :) Sometimes I have a mind like a sink, to use a Victorian phrase. ;) The group's past final payment, but perhaps the cruiseline would allow that. Where I thought you were going was with a suggestion to cancel the booked cruise and rebook without mentioning the medical problem -- we see that all too often here. Sorry Grannycb!

Thanks for your help everyone. I just found out that she will only lose her deposit if she cancels before 30 days out from embarkation, so it's not as bad as we originally thought. Hopefully, there won't be a need to cancel and we will all be sipping drinks with umbrellas in February.

Um, that kind of suggestion is also known in legal circles as "insurance fraud" and it's punishable in most cases by 5-25 years.

I think (could be wrong) that the friend can still purchase Medical evacuation. It won't help with the cost of the cruise but it has been posted many many times that the killer is being medivaced and having to pay $50K or more. Most people don't want to but can afford to lose the cost of the cruise (which is already paid for in full).

Thanks for your help everyone. I just found out that she will only lose her deposit if she cancels before 30 days out from embarkation, so it's not as bad as we originally thought. Hopefully, there won't be a need to cancel and we will all be sipping drinks with umbrellas in February.

Which cruise line will give back all but the deposit at 31 days? I think that that is unusual when past final payment.

Excuse me, but how is calling the cruise line and asking them to transfer her reservation "insurance fraud"? If she doesn't have insurance in the first place, how can there be fraud? Cruise lines change bookings all the time.

Which cruise line will give back all but the deposit at 31 days? I think that that is unusual when past final payment.

My mom had a stroke in June and we had a cruise scheduled for July, and all we lost was the down payment. We received a full refund for the rest, and no, we didn't have to use the travel insurance. This was on Celebrity.

• Administrators
Excuse me, but how is calling the cruise line and asking them to transfer her reservation "insurance fraud"? If she doesn't have insurance in the first place, how can there be fraud? Cruise lines change bookings all the time.

I thought the post was suggesting something else -- rebooking a different cruise, but the second time purchasing insurance, as I explained in in post number 13. The poster explained what was meant (not sure why I'd misunderstood) right away.

I am hoping someone on these boards may be able to offer advice for a dear friend of mine.

I am currently booked on a Feb '09 cruise with a group of friends. Unfortunately, one of my friends just found out that she may have breast cancer. She is going for a surgery consult next week. I've done a little research and have discovered that it is possible to get trip insurance with a pre-existing medical condition, but it seems that you must buy the insurance no later than 24 hours after final payment is due. Our final payment was due on December 1, so it seems like it may be impossible to help her out. Does anyone know of a company that has a different policy and may be able to provide trip insurance to my friend. Yes, I know that they are not in business to lose money...I just want to try anything/everything to help out my friend.

Travelguard allows 9 days. I have rectinophy in my eyes-and so we must book insurance with pre-existing.

PLEASE do not take this the wrong way.

With the thousands of possible things that can go wrong before a cruise ship pushes back from the dock, anyone WHO DOES NOT HAVE TRAVEL INSURANCE IS A FOOL.

As for your friend, yes it is impossible to get coverage for ANYTHING remotely connected with the cancer.

Even with a positive diagnosis, she may still AND SHOULD go on the trip. February is a long way off.

With the thousands of possible things that can go wrong before a cruise ship pushes back from the dock, anyone WHO DOES NOT HAVE TRAVEL INSURANCE IS A FOOL.

As for your friend, yes it is impossible to get coverage for ANYTHING remotely connected with the cancer.

Even with a positive diagnosis, she may still AND SHOULD go on the trip. February is a long way off.

No need for name calling just because someone shares a different opinion than you. By the way...how are you supposed to interpret that statement?

Thanks to the others who tried to contribute something to this thread other than a philosophy or opinion. After a little more research, I have discovered that at worst, my friend will be without her deposit which is much better than we originally thought. Thanks again.

Travelguard allows 9 days. I have rectinophy in my eyes-and so we must book insurance with pre-existing.

Have they decreased it to 9 days? It used to be that we had 15 days from the initial deposit/payment for any component of a trip. (For example, if I book the air first and don't plan to book a cruise or other item for a few weeks, I still have to purchase our travel insurance within 15 days of paying for the air.) We also must buy insurance that includes the pre-exisitng conditions and often use Travel Guard, so this is really important information for us.

While we would never book a significant trip without travel insurance and while we also think it's very important for most people, it's still a personal decision. All I ask is that no one ever complain if they choose not to get insurance, have to cancel or have other problems that would have been covered by insurance, and then lose money because of it. It's like not buying homeowner's insurance and then complaining when your house burns down and no one will pay to replace it.

Perhaps she will be able to take the cruise. That would be nice. But to emphasize that she "should" (as if to do otherwise makes her somehow wrong or weak or a slacker in some way) is awfully presumptuous. It will depend entirely on what her doctors advise, what treatment she needs, and how she feel (both physically and emotionally). What we can do is wish her the best outcome.

beachchick

Obviously you are not a doctor and know little about breast cancer.

Perhaps she will be able to take the cruise. That would be nice. But to emphasize that she "should" (as if to do otherwise makes her somehow wrong or weak or a slacker in some way) is awfully presumptuous. It will depend entirely on what her doctors advise, what treatment she needs, and how she feel (both physically and emotionally). What we can do is wish her the best outcome.

beachchick

Beachchick, you got it right. :)

NYrunner,

I hope your friend is ok. If need be, information on bc can be found at breastcancer.org. It is an excellent site for information and support.

Archived