how to make phone calls from the Sapphire

ckr31

We will be on the Sapphire this weekend for a 7 day cruise to Mexico. we will be at sea on Sunday,1)will we get cell phone service2)if not how can one make a call from ship to states and whats the price?......:cool:

We will be on the Sapphire this weekend for a 7 day cruise to Mexico. we will be at sea on Sunday,1)will we get cell phone service2)if not how can one make a call from ship to states and whats the price?......:cool:

Sometimes you'll be able to get cell service, especially on the second day as the ship skirts around Cabo San Lucas on the way to PV. Many people will be on deck using their phones. As for using the telephone from your cabin, that's completely possible, but very expensive.

Check this link...

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/during_cruise/communications.jsp

Princess cruise line is not listed as a cruise line that provides cell service at sea.

All cruise ship cellular service is provided by WIRELESS MARITIME SERVICES.

See http://www.cellularatsea.com/shipsinservice.htm . This site has the list of cruise ships and service providers.

Princess cruise line is not listed as a cruise line that provides cell service at sea.

All cruise ship cellular service is provided by WIRELESS MARITIME SERVICES.

See http://www.cellularatsea.com/shipsinservice.htm . This site has the list of cruise ships and service providers.

Although Princess may not be listed on this site (very informative, thank you), we had service at sea all the way across the Pacific on the Dawn Princess in September/October. It seemed amazing to me to get a phone call or text message when you are in the middle no-where! Also you don't have to go on deck, we took calls in our cabin. I would NEVER talk on a cell phone in a public area on a cruise ship. I don't think it is appropriate. BTW the service provider on my phone was 901 18 and my provider at home is Telstra in Australia.

Beryl

I believe cell phone service is available on some Princess ships and is being made available on all. I seem to remember that the cost to use the shipboard cell phone service is $2.95/minute PLUS any of your carrier's roaming or international calling charges. All charges will be on your cell phone carrier's bill, not on your shipboard account.

To call from the ship, it's $4.95/minute. This is put on your onboard account.

It's a lot easier and less-expensive to use email. If you don't buy a package, it's $.75/minute.

There are several companies (such as Cellularatsea that was mentioned above) that have installed Cellular service on cruise ships, and then link them to land based stations via Satellite. Each cruise line chooses just one company to install this service on a ship.

Princess uses MCP (as does Cunard). Details can be found at

http://www.mcp.com/maindesign.asp?aid=21025&gid=9799

(or www.mcp.com, and click on SHIPS IN OPERATION).

Very expensive though - receiving that text message or phone call could be a shock, so turning your cell phone off when on the ship might be a good idea.

There are several companies (such as Cellularatsea that was mentioned above) that have installed Cellular service on cruise ships, and then link them to land based stations via Satellite. Each cruise line chooses just one company to install this service on a ship.

Very expensive though - receiving that text message or phone call could be a shock, so turning your cell phone off when on the ship might be a good idea.

Text messages did not cost anything to receive, and about $1 to send. Calls, of course, are another matter altogether:eek:

Beryl

I had full service on my mobile at sea for all but a few hours on the Sapphire recently. Having just got my bill through I am pleasantly suprised at the charges.Texts were costing me £0.50 ($0.75) to send (nothing to receive) and to make or receive calls were around £1-75 ($2-65) per minute which is considerably cheaper than using the phone in the room.

MCP is the company that has the contract with Princess Cruises to provide mobile telephone service and has roaming agreements with most of the US and many of the foreign carriers.

The system is only turned on when the ship is in International Waters and it shuts off when close to land or when arriving into a port.

I think there are about 3 Princess ships without Mobile Telephone Service, one was the Caribbean Princess and that will have it when it comes out of Dry Dock early next year.

Alan

We were on the Sapphire in November. I have a Verizon 8830 Blackberry global phone. I could make and receive calls the whole trip. I only had Blackberry email services while in or near Cabo, PV and Matz. I was billed $2.49 per minute on the ship and I used 45 ship minutes.

While near or in port and my international Blackberry service took over, and my calls were free and unlimited (part of the plan I choose).

Calls from the cabin telephone are $4.99 per minute. They used to be $9 per minute, so I guess that's an improvement. :( The good thing is that this phone works when the cell phones don't.

I wonder if Princess will lower the cost per minute as cell phone usage becomes more and more popular on cruises.

It boggles my mind why so many people use their cell phones while on a cruise. I understand that there might be reasons when someone would need to communicate with a family member off the ship. but it seems more and more people are just obsessed with being on their cell phones on a cruise.

Maybe its just because they can be.

I wonder if Princess will lower the cost per minute as cell phone usage becomes more and more popular on cruises.

It boggles my mind why so many people use their cell phones while on a cruise. I understand that there might be reasons when someone would need to communicate with a family member off the ship. but it seems more and more people are just obsessed with being on their cell phones on a cruise.

I used mine onboard through the MCP service on our last 4 Princess cruises this year and was charged the normal rate on my AT&T phone. Never saw an additional charge but the phone was showing MCP while at sea. :cool:

I agree with you in general. It's not just Americans but people from all nationalities who like to stay connected. I bring mine because I'm often away for three weeks to more than a month and I want to hear my families' voice. While I'm usually having a ball on my cruise, I miss them.

Archived