Random Question on Platform the sticks out from the bow

jimmyp

Now I'd to know what the platform is called. I'm thinking it's where the bad crew members go to disembark.:D

The area on a sailing vessel that protrudes from the bow is called a bowsprit. On early sailing ships this is the point of attachment for the head sail often called the jib or genoa.

Power vessels call them a pulpit. Smaller boats have a roller at the fore end of the pulpit for launching the anchor. A storage locker is usually close by for storing anchor line and chain.

Larger ships have two anchors, and launch them from either side based on wind direction and where the captain wants the bow pointed.

The crew leaves the ship on the same level you and I do!

A Pirate Past 50... One hand on the starboard rail.

Yup that was the one I was thinking of. Always see it down in port but never seen anyone on it. Maybe its a balcony for the crew!

I don't know that it has a name, but it is used because the bows are enclosed and the seaman cannot get the lines out to the dock. If you ever watch a ship dock next to you you can see it being used.

Look at the last picture. The crew members are getting ready to throw some thing called a monkey’s fist. It is the smaller line tied to the larger mooring lines. The monkey fist is the ball at the end of the smaller lines.

If you haven’t watched them moor the ship it is interesting. Then remember there are no tugs used to help the ship easy into the bumpers and it is even more amazing.

Look at the last picture. The crew members are getting ready to throw some thing called a monkey’s fist. It is the smaller line tied to the larger mooring lines. The monkey fist is the ball at the end of the smaller lines.

If you haven’t watched them moor the ship it is interesting. Then remember there are no tugs used to help the ship easy into the bumpers and it is even more amazing.

BINGO ! !

Right on the money. The mooring lines are far to heavy to get over to the docks by "throwing" them, so a smaller line with the "monkey fist" (weighted ball) attached is thrown over first. Then, that smaller line is used by the dock workers to drag the heavier mooring lines over to the dock. This platform allows for the "throwing" of the monkey fist with the smaller line attached to the heavier mooring lines.

Archived