How to keep spaghetti straps together on back

onceagain

My DD has a beautiful spaghetti strap dress that she is wearing for elegant night - she has worn it once before. She has lost some weight and now the straps fall off her shoulders. Any suggestions how to keep them up without having to alter them? I was thinking a small piece of sparklie jewelery at the back. Her dress is quite ornate with sparkles.

Spaghetti straps can be taken up by you--you don't have to pay for "alterations"! Just put the dress on her, fold the straps down into the back of the dress and pin. Then, take the dress off and sew by hand until the strap is secure at it's new length. It's not a big deal, and it's about a 5 min. thing.

I agree, it would be very easy to shorten the straps yourself. If you aren't comfortable trying that, a rhinestone hair barrett clipped in the back of the dress would work. Claire's Boutique, Afterthoughts, or Icing stores (in most malls) have a section with "prom" type jewelry and these kinds of barretts. They usually have a pretty good selection. Good luck!:)

I have used a brooch to hold the straps of a top together before. I just put the straps under the pin part and closed it. The clasp did poke me a little, but it was very cute and it made the top fit properly. It was also good because I could take off the brooch when I wasn't wearing it so that it didn't snag the fabric or anything.

My DD has a beautiful spaghetti strap dress that she is wearing for elegant night - she has worn it once before. She has lost some weight and now the straps fall off her shoulders. Any suggestions how to keep them up without having to alter them? I was thinking a small piece of sparklie jewelery at the back. Her dress is quite ornate with sparkles.

I would also do a quick tack job on the straps so she doesn't have to hold them up with a pin or barrette...which, in my mind, would diminish the "elegance" of the dress.

I would also do a quick tack job on the straps so she doesn't have to hold them up with a pin or barrette...which, in my mind, would diminish the "elegance" of the dress.

Me too! If you have a fear of needles, try to find a great relative or a nice friend!:)

I would also agree with tucking and sewing the straps at the back of the dress. I am far from Martha Stewart, in every sense, and I have done this, was proud as heck, too! Very easy to do, and if I can do it, ANYONE can!

I have even been know to shorten some straps with tiny safety pins and I can even make a dress start to finish....what can I say, I was in a hurry. :D

If taping, I would do it that night and remove right after use so new tape residue is left.

From what I can determine, some posters may have not understood what the OP is asking about. She's not referring to using a pin or jewelry to hold the straps up, but to bring them together in back so they fit more closely. I think this could be done to good effect. :) However, adjusting the straps is a very easy job that does not require a professional.

Thanks everyone. We went to our DGD's dance program today and she had a beautiful long sparkly, diamond looking barrett in her hair - light bulb!!! - so I suggested to DD that she give it a try, let's hope it works. It would be beautiful! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

That sounds like a winner to me. If the accessory is sufficiently fancy, I don't see anything wrong with it; in fact, it would add a little interest and bling from another angle. Besides your granddaughter's barette, you might also try a large-ish, round-ish brooch -- sparkly, of course.

My DD dances, and it certainly is that time of year, isn't it? We have 3 performances over the next 8 days. :eek: BTW, my favorite lapel pin actually started out as a pin-on flower for one of DD's ballet costumes. Dance gear often has that extra bit of sparkle, and it tends to be unusual since it's not something you can pick up at the local jewelry counter.

From what I can determine, some posters may have not understood what the OP is asking about. She's not referring to using a pin or jewelry to hold the straps up, but to bring them together in back so they fit more closely. I think this could be done to good effect. :) However, adjusting the straps is a very easy job that does not require a professional.

I don't think anyone was confused about how the pin or barrette would be used (except maybe the poster who mentioned taping :o). I've seen this done and have always thought that it looked like the wearer didn't have the time and/or the inclination to have the straps tailored to fit.

Just talked to DD she tried the barrett and said it looks beautiful - done deal. Thanks to everyone. I looked at a lot of formals on google and many, many of them have pretty jewlery on the back so I don't think it will look like she didn't have the inclination to fix the straps at all. The jewel look will match the front of the dress perfectly.

Archived