Miracle "Propulsion Problem" & Carnival Question?

Jackrjc

I read on two other theads that the Miracle has changed the Western Caribbean Itinerary for the next sailing due to propulsion problems. I seem to remember reading that the Miracle had this problem when sailing from New York some months ago.

Does anyone have any detailed knowledge of this?

Does this problem come and go?

In the past, has it been Carnival's practice to notify customers as far in advance as possible or wait until a week or a few days before sailing?

If there is no plan for Carnival to fix the problem, wouldn't this change the Western Caribbean itinerary for all sailings after 15 Dec?

And, If this is the case why would they not tell us now?

The fact that something suddenly goes wrong (engine, weather, etc,) and the itinerary has to change I think most people can understand and move on. However, I would be very disappointed to say the least if Carnival knew of future changes to a cruise and withheld the information. I do not think they would do this, anyway I sure hope not.

I read on two other theads that the Miracle has changed the Western Caribbean Itinerary for the next sailing due to propulsion problems. I seem to remember reading that the Miracle had this problem when sailing from New York some months ago.

In the past, has it been Carnival's practice to notify customers as far in advance as possible or wait until a week or a few days before sailing?

If there is no plan for Carnival to fix the problem, wouldn't this change the Western Caribbean itinerary for all sailings after 15 Dec?

The fact that something suddenly goes wrong (engine, weather, etc,) and the itinerary has to change I think most people can understand and move on. However, I would be very disappointed to say the least if Carnival knew of future changes to a cruise and withheld the information. I do not think they would do this, anyway I sure hope not.

It could be that they are still assessing the situation, how severe it is etc....On the same note, they could be looking into how soon they could get it into drydock to remedy the problem, and what would be the benefits or ramifications of doing it sooner rather than later. That could be why they are not making any further changes cause they simply do not know what they are going to do yet.

If Carnival were to advise passengers ahead of time many would cancel. For example I am on the sailing the week following the change of itinerary because of propulsion problems. If they told us ahead passengers may book another ship.

These days word travels like wildfire via message boards like cruise critic and they haven't caught up with that yet. In days gone by they could just call and say there were problems and we would not have known that these are not new to them.

I find it strange that on some weeks the ship can make it to the ports and on others the propulsion problems are acting up. I guess I don't know enough about the azipod propulsion system .

In any case as long as they don't cancel my cruise I am happy.

Emergency dry dock is scheduled for the last week of February and the first week of March. They are working on the cancellation of those two cruises right now. The letter for those two cruises is dated November 10.

As far as notification you may get none at lot of it depends on your TA. If you booked yourself you usually get an e-mail.

If there is an unexpected change to the itinerary on YOUR particular sailing, you will be notified in a timely manner. If they have changed the itinerary for mechanical reasons, they will notify those who are affected as far in advance as possible.

They don't notify every single passenger on every single sailing months or even weeks out.....because it may not affectg everyone. When the problem is fixed, they will resume normal schedules.

Here, from their website is a little more info. Meanwhile, be assured they won't leave you guessing unless the change is very, very last minute. For instance, I've been on a few cruises where information about a change was given at checkin because it was last minute.

Port Cancellation Policy

If Carnival Cruise Lines ("Carnival") has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary, it will promptly -- upon making the itinerary change -- notify guests of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct booking ("the Notice"). The Notice shall offer guests an opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty within 24 hours of the delivery of the Notice. Carnival shall not be liable to guests for any charges, fees or expenses paid or owed to third parties (such as air travel booked by a guest directly with an airline) in connection with a cancelled booking or substituted port. In the event a guest does not cancel his or her cruise on a timely basis, no additional compensation for the itinerary change will be offered to the guest at a later time.

In the event the itinerary change becomes necessary while the ship is at sea or when notice prior to sailing is not feasible, Carnival shall attempt to substitute an alternative port. Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the itinerary change to the guests as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. No compensation shall be provided to guests when an alternative port is offered.

If safety, scheduling or other concerns prevent the ship from calling on an alternative port, Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the elimination of the scheduled port to the guests as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. The written notice shall also offer a shipboard credit of $20.00 (U.S.D.) per person to be reflected on the sail and sign account.

Nothing herein shall affect the guest's ability to exercise the Vacation Guarantee on sailings where it applies.

We're sailing in January, and as long as she 1) floats, 2) lays anchor under sunny and warm skies, and 3) pampers us...we'll be there.

Sure, we're still hoping for our southern caribbean ports of call...but there's a foot of snow out my window....so I really don't care if they change our itinerary; and where ever they take us...it's still a vacation in a 1st class hotel with a really great ocean view:p

If Carnival were to advise passengers ahead of time many would cancel. For example I am on the sailing the week following the change of itinerary because of propulsion problems. If they told us ahead passengers may book another ship.

These days word travels like wildfire via message boards like cruise critic and they haven't caught up with that yet. In days gone by they could just call and say there were problems and we would not have known that these are not new to them.

I find it strange that on some weeks the ship can make it to the ports and on others the propulsion problems are acting up. I guess I don't know enough about the azipod propulsion system .

In any case as long as they don't cancel my cruise I am happy.

Practically, I understand. However, the part I would not appreciate, is the less than honest part that you imply in your post. Advertising and selling something now that they know they cannot provide in the future and withholding this information for the fear of customers changing their plans would in IMHO be very unethical. I would expect them to be upfront about this. The reason I asked in my first post above about this propulsion problem being a constant or intermittant problem is because, like you, I was curious why they would be able to make the ports on other sailings, especially in the future.

I am sure we will have a great time on our 16 Jan cruise, but if there are known changes I would appreciate at least the opportunity to make my own decisions as far in advance as possible.

If there is an unexpected change to the itinerary on YOUR particular sailing' date=' you will be notified in a timely manner. If they have changed the itinerary for mechanical reasons, they will notify those who are affected as far in advance as possible.

They don't notify every single passenger on every single sailing months or even weeks out.....because it may not affectg everyone. When the problem is fixed, they will resume normal schedules.

Here, from their website is a little more info. Meanwhile, be assured they won't leave you guessing unless the change is very, very last minute. For instance, I've been on a few cruises where information about a change was given at checkin because it was last minute.

Port Cancellation Policy

If Carnival Cruise Lines ("Carnival") has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary, it will promptly -- upon making the itinerary change -- notify guests of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct booking ("the Notice"). The Notice shall offer guests an opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty within 24 hours of the delivery of the Notice. Carnival shall not be liable to guests for any charges, fees or expenses paid or owed to third parties (such as air travel booked by a guest directly with an airline) in connection with a cancelled booking or substituted port. In the event a guest does not cancel his or her cruise on a timely basis, no additional compensation for the itinerary change will be offered to the guest at a later time.

In the event the itinerary change becomes necessary while the ship is at sea or when notice prior to sailing is not feasible, Carnival shall attempt to substitute an alternative port. Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the itinerary change to the guests as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. No compensation shall be provided to guests when an alternative port is offered.

If safety, scheduling or other concerns prevent the ship from calling on an alternative port, Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the elimination of the scheduled port to the guests as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. The written notice shall also offer a shipboard credit of $20.00 (U.S.D.) per person to be reflected on the sail and sign account.

Nothing herein shall affect the guest's ability to exercise the Vacation Guarantee on sailings where it applies.[/quote']

Thanks for the information. Now, I guess, its just wait and see what they announce for future sailings.

Practically, I understand. However, the part I would not appreciate, is the less than honest part that you imply in your post. Advertising and selling something now that they know they cannot provide in the future and withholding this information for the fear of customers changing their plans would in IMHO be very unethical. I would expect them to be upfront about this. The reason I asked in my first post above about this propulsion problem being a constant or intermittant problem is because, like you, I was curious why they would be able to make the ports on other sailings, especially in the future.

I am sure we will have a great time on our 16 Jan cruise, but if there are known changes I would appreciate at least the opportunity to make my own decisions as far in advance as possible.

I am on the Feb 17th sailing, the last sailing before the Miracle is scheduled to go to dry dock for two weeks, that includes stops in Panama and Costa Rica and I agree with the above. I would be disappointed if our ports change primarily as I am looking forward to the all day excursion where you sail through the Panama Canal.

But I have not been to any of the ports they changed to for the sailing next week so I wouldn't cancel. But I would like as much advance notice as possible in order to decide on new excursions.

It will be interesting to see if Panama and Costa Rica are dropped from other sailings and then find out people get a notice only a week before..

I am on the Feb 17th sailing, the last sailing before the Miracle is scheduled to go to dry dock for two weeks, that includes stops in Panama and Costa Rica and I agree with the above. I would be disappointed if our ports change primarily as I am looking forward to the all day excursion where you sail through the Panama Canal.

But I have not been to any of the ports they changed to for the sailing next week so I wouldn't cancel. But I would like as much advance notice as possible in order to decide on new excursions.

It will be interesting to see if Panama and Costa Rica are dropped from other sailings and then find out people get a notice only a week before..

You should anticipate the schedule change. The distance that has to be sailed to go to Panama is just too much with one engine acting up. If they have modified one itinerary for engine problems you can count on all of the rest of them being modified until the repair is complete. If history and past experience is correct you can expect notification around February 1st.

I"m on the Miracle that leaves Dec. 15th and I just got my notice yesterday Dec. 12th late in the afternoon. We are very upset since we booked this cruise specially for the Panama and Costa Rica ports but now we have not choice. Everyone has taken vacation time and it's too late to find something else. So be ready for short notice of itinerary changes.

I just got off Miracle last Sunday from the Western itinerary. We had no propulsion issues that I was aware of. In fact, most of the time I commented to my husband that I felt like the captain was "hauling -ss!" Ship was very quick! It was announced that our captain was leaving toward the end of our sailing for his extended holiday vacation (maybe he was in a hurry to get off of The Miracle!):) Western Itinerary is pretty cool for those anticipating it-best of luck!

We're sailing in January, and as long as she 1) floats, 2) lays anchor under sunny and warm skies, and 3) pampers us...we'll be there.

Sure, we're still hoping for our southern caribbean ports of call...but there's a foot of snow out my window....so I really don't care if they change our itinerary; and where ever they take us...it's still a vacation in a 1st class hotel with a really great ocean view:p

My feelings exactly! :D

Just get me on the ship!

I do sympathize with those that were looking forward to specific ports, I'm sure it is very disappointing...but after reading CC for 6+ years I know that the possibility exists for an itinerary change at any time...and protesting is generally useless. ;)

Same here. I went on the southern caribbean over thanksgiving and we were traveling at 22 knots most of the time.

I just got off Miracle last Sunday from the Western itinerary. We had no propulsion issues that I was aware of. In fact, most of the time I commented to my husband that I felt like the captain was "hauling -ss!" Ship was very quick! It was announced that our captain was leaving toward the end of our sailing for his extended holiday vacation (maybe he was in a hurry to get off of The Miracle!):) Western Itinerary is pretty cool for those anticipating it-best of luck!

This is what was posted in the 12/15 Roll Call section - notice of itenerary change from Carnival:

original.aspx

My cruise could very likely have the same change. I am still going - I need a vacation. Haven't done any research on the other ports, but we will definately make the most of it.

Ha! Me too! They could just go out so far that you could not see land, and then just go in big circles and I'd be happy! Not kidding!;)

You should anticipate the schedule change. The distance that has to be sailed to go to Panama is just too much with one engine acting up. If they have modified one itinerary for engine problems you can count on all of the rest of them being modified until the repair is complete. If history and past experience is correct you can expect notification around February 1st.

If this is true they should notify everyone now. Carnival making necessary changes to the itinerary is not something I would be concerned about or complain about. Carnival withholding this information is something to be very concerned about.

Some folks chose this cruise especially for Panama and Costa Rica. I know I did. Some folks may have more choices farther out. For example, the Miracle leaves from Port Everglades for these ports on 16 Jan. The Freedom leaves from Port Everglades for these ports on 17 Jan. Don't know for sure that I would change, but I definitely would want the option to change.

Jackrjc,

Thank you. I thought I was the only one upset about this. I posted on a carnival board and was told that it is no big deal. It is a big deal, and exactly for the reasons you cited. This is not a new problem and should have been fixed prior to taking bookings. I live minutes from Port Canaveral and only took this cruise out of Fort Lauderdale for the destinations. I can go to these new spots from home, not have to pay to park or drive there. Very, very disappointing.

I live about 4 miles from the port of Tampa.

I took this exact cruise 2 months ago. (from Tampa)

Wanted to leave Ft. Lauderdale because of different ports. Didn't care which, just different.

Now I'm driving 600 miles round trip to take the same cruise I was just on, that sails from right down the street from my house.

Carnival said I could either sail or cancel.

Something doesn't seem right here.

Hmmmm I guess no one realizes that RCI had changed itineraries that included Panama as well....think again, it might not really only be the occasional azipod issue.....

Ok, for curious and maybe uninformed minds, what would be the other reasons or issues?

Tp jeremycruises and SCain777, I understand. I was on the Legend out of Tampa last February. We had a great time. If I wanted mostly the same itinerary again I would have booked the Legend again, especially because I would rather depart from Tampa rather than Fort Lauderdale.

I don't know anything about the situation, but maybe they are changing the iten. on one sailing so they can swing by a port that has some type of better/more affordable maintenance that can temporarily fix the problem until they can get her into dry dock.

Again I know nothing about how this stuff works just speculation.

We sail on the 23rd, on the Southern itinerary. Just hope the ship can "make it" to the St. islands we are scheduled for. (Kitts, Lucia, Marten) Would be disappointed if they had to change - had all excursions booked, etc. Haven't heard anything from Carnival, yet. We haven't been to Roatan, Belize yet - not a horrible change - but we booked Dream for that itinerary next New Year! Oh well!

Jack and "Vette" I have emailed my TA to see if she can find anything more about the Itinerary for Jan 16. Hopefully she will get back to me this week so if there are changes, we can adapt as necessary.

Also wondering if they might just substitute the Saints for the Western?

But I would probably change to the Freedom on the 17th if the Itinerary changes.

Archived