South Beach Diet

clopaw

I have been following the South Beach diet since Labor Day, and I am having some success with it. How easy will it be to follow on our cruise on the Rotterdam in December? I am planning to loosen up a little on the rules since it is vacation, but I don't want to go crazy. Are there desserts that work (or come close)?

There's a great South Beach Diet thread on the "Lose Before You Cruise" board, including info on sticking to the diet while on a cruise. I've been on SB a week now - I hope that I can lose enough before January (Westerdam) so that I can fit into my clothes from the LAST cruise.:D

Good luck! - Jane

Hi Lisa,Hope you had a good time on the cruise.I t was funny when you yelled up at us from the curb you guys looked so tiny from top of the ship.You two are a nice couple have a great life. TOM&DEB

I have been on South Beach maintenance for many months and have taken a number of HAL cruises during this timespan. I have no difficulty sticking with South Beach while aboard.

The ONE THING I REALLY wish they would make a regular thing offered all the time is WHOLE WHEAT PASTA. Sometimes on some ships I have been able to get it but the pasta stations do not usually have it. I would be so happy to be able to have a small serving of whole wheat pasta and marinara occasionally at lunch with my salad.

You will be able to get plenty that is 'SB approved'. Willpower is a whole other story......only you have control over that! :)

Good luck but do not fret. You absolutely do not have to slip up badly during your vacation unless you choose to.

Sorry....

I meant to add that the salad bars are fabulous and SB is big into salads. You will find a great many wonderful choices and have no problem getting SB approved olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dressing.

They have a fabulous whole grain cracker that is delicious. In big baskets so help yourself to a few of the little packets. They are whole rye krisps/sugar free.

There is always sugar free jello available in the dessert area cold case.

It is clearly marked and I have (several times) confirmed that it really is sugar free. There are a number of other sugar free desserts but the only one I ever taste is the cheesecake (which is amazingly good). Ice cream bar normally has 'no sugar added' as well.

I've been on Atkins maintenance for four years now, having lost 100+ lbs in 2000. I have some leeway now, but I'm a little worried, because sugar-free doesn't necessarily mean low-carb, especially in desserts (except for Jello). Does anyone know if there are carb counts available or foods designated Low Carb as on some restaurant menus now. I don't want my new pants getting tight just because I ate NS desserts that had lots of carbs.

And where is that diet cruiser board somebody mentioned?

I just returned from a 7-day cruise on the Oosterdam.

I noticed this year on the dining room menu that there are lo-carb items - and they are marked as such.

For desserts, there are lo-carb ice creams every night.

There are egg-beaters and egg whites also ... for breakfast omelettes or scrambled eggs.

A concern that I have, as others have noted, is that sugar free does not necessarily mean low carb. It also does not mean low fat, and the South Beach diet emphasizes that you shouldn't go crazy on fats. Unfortunately, even as a small child I was never a fan of Jello, and I still feel the same way. :(

I'm happy to hear that they are marking low carb items on the menu. When I go to a restaurant, I often get a main dish salad because I know it is "safe" by the list of ingredients, or an item can easily be omitted. Luckily, I really like salads.

My husband and I always walk a lot on cruises and take the stairs, so we have never gained weight on a cruise. Since I've been on this diet, I've gotten rid of my carb craving and I don't want to start again on the cruise. If anything my addiction to bread is worse than my addiction to dessert. :rolleyes:

South Beach emphasizes you should not eliminate carbs. It is NOT a low carb diet. You should eat 'good carbs' and avoid the overprocessed, high calorie, no nutrition white breads, white rice, white pasta, and this plan also eliminates white potatoes in addition to some other foods.

But you can get the good carbs (veggies in abundance at the salad bar), fruits and whole grains/whole wheats on HAL ships.

I've been on SoBe Diet for a long time - maintenance pretty much now.

However, on the cruise I did *cheat* a little.

I forgot to mention they had "Lo Carb" breakfast muffins.

I guess it's a matter of trust ... you really don't know how lo carb they are.

Last year we were able to get fat-free, sugar-fee ice cream.

This year their ice cream was "no sugar added" -- a big difference.

I think a lot of people think sugar-free means carb-free [people who aren't on the diet].

Need Help. I began the South Beach Diet on Sunday. Beginning Monday, the headaches began. Each day it got worse, and almost unbearable. So by Wendesday evening, I just could not tolerate the headaches, and ate a sandwich(looking for the bread), and my headache is just about gone.

I had no problem with the diet plan, and actually enjoyed the diet had it not been for the headaches.... Does anyone have any ideas how I can stay on this diet with no headaches?

Belle,

The headache were at a migrane(sp) level come tonight... I just could not function, so I went back to carbs. Do you think that I will have to start all over again, now that I ate carbs, and go through another 3 days of headaches???

If so, I will start up again on the week-end so I do not have to deal with the headaches at work....I am in a Mgmt position... The staff thought I was crazy for the last 2 days..... Cant do this again this week...

Also at work I do dring a lot of coffee... Is this making it worse??

Thanks for the help

Janet

Janet

If you are doing SB you shouldnt be looking for no carb/ low carb.....you look for good carbs.....I did notice a bit of a headache for a couple of days at first which I contributed to getting use to no to little sugar.....but that is gone now unless I forget to eat or drink enough water. Chris

Archived