Cabins by elevators. Your thoughts.

gogogo8

I used to work for Princess reservations and it is near impossible, if not impossible to get non-disabled individuals moved out of a disabled cabin if they are booked it. I would escalate these issues three and four supervisors above me and nothing would ever get done. I felt sorry for those who really needed these cabins.

CJH knows the reality of how difficult it is to book a handicap cabin because non handicapped people book them. Her family can not cruise unless they get these cabins. This is huge as non-disabled people can take any cabin. Her kids can not be in any cabin - there are only a few cabins per ship that are for disabled and many of these only accomodate 2 people. In this situation, she needs 2 of these cabins as she has 2 kids with disabilities.

I think many non-disabled people do not realize what it takes for disabled to travel. I used to now know but my eyes are wide open now (due to a family member who is disabled). There are so many things that need to be considered when doing every day stuff and doing special things such as traveling.

I already learned all this in the last extensive thread with many posts by this poster.

I am just saying get on Princess case not the passengers that are in the cabin and not disabled. :rolleyes:

Yes, it is hard. Yes, it involves some work on the TA's part. Yes, it involves some luck, but it CAN be done. I know, I've done it. I agree it's not easy, but not everything in life is and I agree it shouldn't have to be this way, but it is.

It is Princess's policy to not do this. You must have found someone to go against the policy. Very rare.

I am able-bodied, and in the past booked at GTY cabin and was assigned an accessible cabin by Princess. While it was larger, I didn't care for it as the shower was unusual. We now only book mini-suites, and if I were to be assigned an accessible cabin it would even be more undesirable because it does not have a bathtub. Too, I believe those cabins should be reserved for those requiring them.

Hey folks, lets be real carefull that we do not slam the original poster. It is possible that they need a wheelchair accessable cabin. Since they have not come back and reposted we don't at this time know.

I agree with you here. I actually don't think that they understood it was a HC cabin. As they wrote just little bigger than the rest, they haven't looked at the legend. I'm sure they are responsible people, I hope they enjoy their cruise.

Anthony

I didn't see anyone being mean to the OP or anything. They are just giving their opinions and educating him on the subject of HC cabins. I agree with them. If the OP isn't in a wheelchair he shouldn't take a HC room. The cruise doesn't go out till next Sept.

Yes, we don't know if the OP requested this cabin or Princess gave it to him. I don't think he knows it is handicapped as he said it looks bigger, The deck plans clearly shows it as a HC cabin.

However, now the OP knows. I'd like to know what he does with this informtion.....the right thing I hope.

Yes, it is hard. Yes, it involves some work on the TA's part. Yes, it involves some luck, but it CAN be done. I know, I've done it. I agree it's not easy, but not everything in life is and I agree it shouldn't have to be this way, but it is.

You have done it, does not mean it is the norm.

More over, does not mean to justify the non-disabled to book the disable room because the room is bigger, but cost the same.

Those who purposedly pick the disable cabin without actual needs, are people who are selfish, at the minimum.

It's not your fault that Princess assigned you to this cabin. When I asked a similar question about booking accessible cabins a few years ago, I discovered the feelings this topic brings up. In this case, Princess has determined that it was time to assign you to a cabin. It is past the final payment date--so Princess is just trying to get all the cabins assigned. Have your TA send Princess a note that you are willing to switch to a cabin in the same category or a higher category if someone needs the accessible features of your cabin.

It's not your fault that Princess assigned you to this cabin. When I asked a similar question about booking accessible cabins a few years ago, I discovered the feelings this topic brings up. In this case, Princess has determined that it was time to assign you to a cabin. It is past the final payment date--so Princess is just trying to get all the cabins assigned. Have your TA send Princess a note that you are willing to switch to a cabin in the same category or a higher category if someone needs the accessible features of your cabin.

How can the OP be past FP date his cruise doesn't go out until next Sept. If Princess assigned him this cabin after FP it would be a non issue.

Did you not read this thread? Princess does not switch AB's out of HC cabins. So the TA telling Princess this is useless and he would be preventing a disabled person from cruising.

We still don't know if Princess assigned him this cabin or he picked this cabin out himself.

Yes this topic does bring up lots of feelings from disabled pax. Why shouldn't it. AB's knowingly booking HC cabins because they want more room is wrong.

By way OP, thank you so much for doing the right thing and changing your cabin. Those of us in wheelchairs really appreciate it. :D

We had a TA that thought he was doing us a favor by booking an inside HC cabin. Didn't realize it at first. Once I did, I was in touch with TA & Princess - having everyone update their records that we didn't need the HC cabin. TA suggested we'd probably be upgraded anyway. When we checked in, found we were upgraded to an OV, but still an HC! Check-in wouldn't make any changes, though we requested. I went to the Purser's Desk and also made it known we didn't need the HC and would change if someone did. No one contacted us. The size of the cabin was great but I never did feel comfortable coming out of the room when others were around. I check my room each and every time now.

Archived