HUGE problem...

berls088

update:

so my bfs mom went to the church, and then went with the priest to the hospital at which he was born/given to. (im lost too)..then went to the city hall

good news! they issued him a bc! although my sister says its not the right one cause its not state issued, at least now we can take that one to get him a state one! and its noterized! question: does a bc have to be from state or is 1 from the hospital ok for carnival?

so thank all of you for all the amazin opinions and advice on how to get us on our cruise, it seriously like was the nicest thing ever!

and when we get back we will get our passports!

thanks agaiiinnn all cc members! u are f'in awesome

and wanted to say I LOVE YOU AMANDA! (jonathansburden) best sister ever

At the age of 50, my mother had to get a birth certificate because she was asst. leader of my sister's scout troop, and they were going to Mexico. She needed the BC to get a visitor's card. When it came, she discovered that instead of being Olive Louise (family names) the BC said she was Harriet Louise! She was born at home (1910) and apparently the doctor didn't file the cert. for a few days, and disremembered the chosen name. Fortunately, my grandmother was still living, and she wrote a letter stating what the name was supposed to be, and it was corrected. EM

Berls,

Sounds like you are making progress!!

Let us know when you have the state-issued BC in your hot little hands!!

Now, is the BC going to match the name on the reservation/Drivers License??

And have a good weekend!!

For anyone doubting this story.....just remember ~ the truth is stranger than fiction!

all u need for that is the hospital one?

The state he was born in will have the official birth records because no matter who is listed as his parents on a BC, the birth was registered with the state. The hospital has to register all births. I have to say I have never heard such a convoluted story in my life. I'm still confused. Also, you need a BC to get a driver's license and to get some jobs, so not sure how someone can go that far in life without having a correct one much less have the wrong info on one official document but not the other.

Also, if there was an adoption, there would be records, and if there wasn't an adoption there should still be legal paperwork otherwise the diocese broke the law in just giving a baby to someone. Something just doesn't add up here.

update:

so my bfs mom went to the church, and then went with the priest to the hospital at which he was born/given to. (im lost too)..then went to the city hall

good news! they issued him a bc! although my sister says its not the right one cause its not state issued, at least now we can take that one to get him a state one! and its noterized! question: does a bc have to be from state or is 1 from the hospital ok for carnival?

The hospital (Woman & Infants?) would have supplied proof of his birth (not a birth certificate) which was then taken to City Hall (Providence?).

The birth certificate that was issued from the city is LEGAL! You DO NOT have to take "that one" to get him a "State one". In RI, a birth certificate is issued from the City or Town Hall in which the person was born, or by The State of RI Dept. of Vital Statistics.

Take a look at the following link:

http://www.health.state.ri.us/chic/vital/index.php

I cant wait to just get on the damn Valor with my man and have a drink! its looking now like we will be.. thank god!

he was born at pawtucket memorial and then barrington city hall... glad theres a RIer in here to understand it that much more! thank you! so the city issued/notarized birth certificate along with a matching license is legit???

and appearantly he got this far in life off of a baptismal form...

I cant wait to just get on the damn Valor with my man and have a drink! its looking now like we will be.. thank god!

he was born at pawtucket memorial and then barrington city hall... glad theres a RIer in here to understand it that much more! thank you! so the city issued/notarized birth certificate along with a matching license is legit???

You certainly deserve it! Enjoy :D

The state he was born in will have the official birth records because no matter who is listed as his parents on a BC, the birth was registered with the state. The hospital has to register all births. I have to say I have never heard such a convoluted story in my life. I'm still confused. Also, you need a BC to get a driver's license and to get some jobs, so not sure how someone can go that far in life without having a correct one much less have the wrong info on one official document but not the other.

Also, if there was an adoption, there would be records, and if there wasn't an adoption there should still be legal paperwork otherwise the diocese broke the law in just giving a baby to someone. Something just doesn't add up here.

My thoughts exactly a few pages back.. How anyone got through his life to this point without documentation is indeed very suspect...

Again, Sorry OP.. I know you are just relaying the info as told to you but this does not add up at all.. to me,... sounds your BF was either kidnapped or sold as a child... :(

trock- It goes something like this: his bio mom went to the diocese to find him a home (she was not a child...31 and had another 5 yr old..heartless). my bfs parents were then notified that there was a newborn boy that needed a home. my bfs dad was gravely dying by this point, and got just a few days with my bf. the bio mom said she needed more $ from bfs family before she would sign anything to make the baby officially theres, and bfs dad died the next day. although his adoptive mom had him, it wasnt an offical adopition, more of she had given him away. my bfs now mom said she would give $ when life insurance money came in, and then the bio mom DISAPPEARED! she is now in no data base, phone book, it even says theres never been a drivers license for HER name. dont ask me i just feel bad for my man :(

and like i said, hes gotten thus far by a baptismal

YES. If it was issued from Barrington City Hall, (or Pawtucket City Hall, seeing how he was born in Pawtucket) it should contain a raised seal, and you should be all set to go!

Have a great cruise........and several DOD's!

Karen

yup its raised!!! ill have 3 for you on the first day!

I hate to burst your bubble Kimmy, but the pic you sent me says Pawtucket memorial hospital on it. You need the one from the city as well, not just a notarized one from the hospital. Bring what you have over tonight (if you guys want to come sledding in the bilzzard) or next week and I'll make sure they're the right ones.

Honestly, at first I thought the same thing as Trock, that there was a good chance that someone sole him when he was a baby. I know how difficult infant adoptions are and I was really surprised someone the age of his parents were approved, especially with the medical problems his dad had (passing away so soon after). You remember the hoops Jon and I had to jump through to try and adopt!

Don't worry, we'll get you both on the ship one way or another!!

P.S. Love you too!!:D

I'm still confused. Was he legally adopted or not? When birth parents abandon a baby, you still have to go through all the legalities to adopt (post classified ads, go to court, etc) and if he was never legally adopted, then his mom should have been approved as a foster parent. Otherwise, it wasn't legal. Just because the bio mom disappeared doesn't mean anything.

Normally when a child is adopted a new bc is issued with the adoptive parents names. I wonder what names are on the bc the state has?

Berls088, I hope you get this worked out. It could have been possible that his name was changed to their last name without being adopted. I have a child from a previous marriage, and when i got remarried, I had my son's last name changed b/c I wanted everyone to have the same last name. His biological fathers rights were terminated so I got an attorney, paid $200 and changed his name. I then received a corrected birth cert showing his new last name. The reason I changed his last name before we did the adoption was b/c in NC, it takes a year to go through the adoption process and I wanted his name changed before he went to school. Also, when my husband and I went on our first cruise, we had to get his b/c from Michigan (we are in NC) and we got it in about a week. We did use the official state website. hope you get it all worked out and have fun fun fun on your cruise

BND: look at post #162.

She's told us that he apparently was never legally adopted. It was intended to be a VOLUNTARY termination of parental rights- i.e. birth mom signing over rights. Mom wanted more money, and by time money came along, mom vanished.

"adoptive" parents may or may not have had legal custody. perhaps they had some sort of legal guardianship that allowed them to "get by".

it wasn't a foster parent issue either because, based on what we know, he wasnt placed in state care!

granted, they could have at some point filed against birth mom on abandonment. courts could have terminated rights involuntarily, and ordered adoption.

but that apparently didnt happen. they all know it wasn't a legal adoption.

it is what it is now and OP is merely trying to address the identification/birth certificate issues so BF can get on the ship....

BND: look at post #162.

She's told us that he apparently was never legally adopted. It was intended to be a VOLUNTARY termination of parental rights- i.e. birth mom signing over rights. Mom wanted more money, and by time money came along, mom vanished.

"adoptive" parents may or may not have had legal custody. perhaps they had some sort of legal guardianship that allowed them to "get by".

it wasn't a foster parent issue either because, based on what we know, he wasnt placed in state care!

granted, they could have at some point filed against birth mom on abandonment. courts could have terminated rights involuntarily, and ordered adoption.

but that apparently didnt happen. they all know it wasn't a legal adoption.

it is what it is now and OP is merely trying to address the identification/birth certificate issues so BF can get on the ship....

I did read #162 and it didnt' clear anything up. No one seems to know and the op's posts haven't exactly been clear. You can't just keep a child without some sort of legal paperwork so you can register for school, etc. Normally a bc, adoption paperwork, guardianship. Baptismal certificate will not get anyone into school. That's all I'm saying. It's just weird.

I work in the pedi er and I assure you this type of thing goes on all the time.

Case in point last night. I have seen the child before so I already knew the story but the child lives with the family of the real mothers neighbor. Mother was very young and neighbor lady took child in to take care of him. He is now 12 years old, in school and everything. There has never been any "legal" paperwork or paperwork of any kind on this child as far as we can figure out. No one knows where the mother is. Everytime we see the child, it is explained to the new mother that she needs to get official papers, but she never does.

This child is on Medicaid also.

This child does go by his birth name, but I have seen others that went by the family they were living with's name.

Just so those of you thinking something like this can not happen, it happens all the time. You just do not usually hear about it until there is an issue that comes up after they are an adult.

ANd not only that, but do you not have illegals living in your area? They have NO papers, but their children go to school, most of them have jobs and drivers lic, so what is suppose to be how things are done is not always the way they are done.

When my 22 year old DS got his DL, not only did we have to have his bc, but we also had to have proof of residency. And when we registered our kids for school, we needed more than our word that they were our kids. I needed my bc to get my job as did my dh. Also, to get a ss card you need a bc especially if you didnt' apply for it at birth. I'm just amazed that anyone can just have physical custody of a child without legal custody, yet there are lots of people who have jumped through all the legal hoops to adopt and are still waiting.

Yes, there are illegals living in our area, but as part of the problem, they are allowed to slide on certain things.

We adopted a child when she was 14 yrs old and was born in the USA and never had a birth certificate. She was in school...without one....but we never figured out how she was able to get into school with a BC.

When you're adopted, it's not always easy to go to vital records to get your certificate. The best thing to use if the certified adoption papers and take them to the city hall of the city the adoption took place. Our kids adoptiong is private, so vitalrecords won't be able to bring her records up. Each adoption is different, so the best thing you have is the adoption papers.

My DD is adopted. Her birth certificate lists the name we gave her (which was different from the name she was born with), so your BF should be able to just go to vital records and request a copy of his birth certificate in his given name. Shouldn't matter that he was adopted. His name now is the same name on his birth certificate.

Yes, his name may have been changed when he was adopted, but to him and to his parents, he is only known by one name and that name should be on his birth certificate. His original birth certificate is most likely sealed and he probably doesn't even know it existed, so I don't think he will have any problems.

EDITED TO ADD: Sorry, guess I should have read all 9 pages! lol I see there is an issue with the legality of the BF's adoption and if that's the case, getting a birth certificate may pose to be a problem!

Archived