Flying in day of cruise.....

VOS08

I am going on the Carnival Liberty on May 9th out of Miami and not sure whether to fly in a day before or fly in early that morning. The difference is that tickets the day before are $100 more than flying in that morning and then I would have to get a hotel and my own transportation to the cruise terminal. I dont want to miss the ship if I decide to fly in the day of and the plane gets delayed. Any advice on what to do? By the way the flight that leaves that morning leaves at 6 AM and gets in Miami at 9:30 AM. Thanks for any help!:D

You will be fine flying in the day of since you are arriving so early in the day. I like flying in the day before as it usually less expensive and the cost of the hotel/meals puts me on par with what it would have cost for day of and I get the added benefit of beginning my vacation a day earlier. Most hotels offer shuttle services to both the hotel and pier.

We always plan to fly in the day before any travel event, particularly cruises. Yes, it costs more for the hotel, cab fare and food, but then again, we get up rested and ready for the cruise not exhausted from the air travel.

Thomas

As long as there are plenty of other options either later in the day or on different airlines if your flight is canceled or massively delayed and you don't have a weather issue, you should be fine.

I've done both (fly in same day and fly in the day before) and both have worked. I've never done it to save money though...usually the issue for me is getting enough time off from work.

Good luck!

I doubt that weather will be a factor in May...As long as you have an early flight, and are opposed to spending the extra for hotels, meals, and such, just go the day of.

Do purchase insurance, just in case---it can help you IF you are delayed, but I doubt you will be!

Weather can absolutely be a factor in May coming from Texas. I have gotten stuck multiple times in May due to severe weather at DFW or Houston. The early morning flights can be the worst as the planes don't make it in the night before due to the storms.

I flew to Miami the day of on my first cruise and have never done it again....personally, I would have to be saving ALOT of money for this to be worth it....on 2nd thought....the difference in the way I feel when I fly down the day before as opposed to how I felt that first time is....as the mastercard ads say....priceless (well.....pretty much :) )

I usually fly in the day of the cruise and out of 30 cruises had a problem only 1 time and that was years ago with Eastern Airlines when they were having labor problems.

As long as you take a flight that gets in early enough, you should be OK and your flight meets that. Also, if you have a connecting flight, allow enough time between flights.

tonyt

A couple of years ago we flew on the day of the cruise from Boston in February. I was worried about snow but we had none. We did however run into thunder storms in Atlanta so our connecting flight was delayed and delayed. Even though we were supposed to arrive at 10AM we did not get to FLL until quite late in the afternoon. We were the very last passengers to board the ship and by that time I had a major anxiety attack. We will never fly on the same day again.

I was thinking about the same this morning and decided to fly out few days before the cruise. If you have time and budget to do so I think it is better this way esp. for first timer. That way we get to enjoy the port a little bit and ensure that we are not going to miss the boat. We will also have plenty of time to pick up couple bottles of good wine. :D Sure, you have to pay for the hotel, but you save on taxi fair to the port and the rush.

The morning flight will give you enough time according to few replies on my post if the flight leave and arrives on time. :p

For me it is not just a fear of missing the ship. As I said I flew in the day of on my first cruise and missing the ship was just not something I even knew to worry about. I had booked my air through the Cruiseline and just never thought to be worried.

However, what is "priceless" for me about going earlier is the fact that I am just so much more relaxed on "Cruise Day". I can get up and have breakfast nice and refreshed and make my way over to the port on my schedule. When I went the day of I was pretty stressed from the very early (3:00am) wake up to leave for the airport....I got to the ship in time for a LONG line and when i got on board I barely had time to look around me before it was muster drill.....Mind you I am a single mom and I was with my 4 young kids on that trip :D

When I fly the day before I am so relaxed when I get to the pier and I fully enjoy that first day.

Not long ago, I had an early morning flight, beautiful weather, but the dang plane wouldnt start. No seats on anything close to what I needed but I did get there 8 hours later. Good thing I was going to see family, as I would have been waving to the ship if it was for a cruise.

The only time we don't go at least a day before a cruise, is when we driving to our nearest port (50 miles away).

Too many factors with flying in (mechanical problems, labor problems, airline financial problems, weather problems...) and any of one of them could mean getting to the pier too late. We like to do a little sightseeing, go shopping for anything left behind, and just relaxing and thinking about the cruise.

The only time we don't go at least a day before a cruise' date=' is when we driving to our nearest port (50 miles away).

Too many factors with flying in (mechanical problems, labor problems, airline financial problems, weather problems...) and any of one of them could mean getting to the pier too late. We like to do a little sightseeing, go shopping for anything left behind, and just relaxing and thinking about the cruise.[/quote']

50?!? Its only about 45 miles. :)

Weather can absolutely be a factor in May coming from Texas. I have gotten stuck multiple times in May due to severe weather at DFW or Houston. The early morning flights can be the worst as the planes don't make it in the night before due to the storms.

I also fly out of DFW several times a year and not only can the weather be a factor, but for the last year at least, airlines changing flight times has been an issue. My January flight to FLL has already been changed about 4 or 5 times. Originally I was getting into FLL before noon. Now I'm not getting in until afternoon. My flight home has also changed by several hours and I am now leaving FLL in the morning, instead of the afternoon. If I had planned to fly home the day we got back from the cruise I would have been in trouble. No way I would have made it.

If your luggage is delayed, flying in the day before will give it time to catch up with you before your cruise.

For our March cruise we are flying down to Fort Lauderdale two days early. Not only will we be sure to make our cruise but there will be opportunity to do some shopping beforehand. ;)

We flew in the day of on our first cruise and haven't done it again. Too exhausting! Too risky! We've experienced lost luggage and delayed flights. Also, living in Texas, I can say that weather is always a potential problem in May.

BTW, I've sailed on the Liberty and loved it! Hope you do too.

Elsie:cool:

Archived