Any possibility of changing my gty balcony that just got assigned to me?

Sass4

I got Rm 6674 which is way in the back and an adjoining room.

I know I took a chance with booking it this way, I'll take the room in the back but I really dont want an adjoining door.

I did book directly with rccl.

Any ideas?

Sometimes they will let you change to another cabin within the same category, sometimes they won't. It doesn't hurt to ask. If they won't let you change, ask if you can go back into the guarantee pool. They usually will let you do that even if they won't let you change to a specific room.

I say usually because everyonce in a while they don't even allow that.

I was recently told my a CS rep that they aren't allowed to change guarantees anymore...even if within the same category. However, since then someone reported here...that they had. So my advice...call. And if they don't let you...hand up...and try another rep. You may get lucky.

I know I took a chance with booking it this way, I'll take the room in the back but I really dont want an adjoining door.

Any ideas?

You got a D1 for $1600 and don't want it?

An adjoining door isn't that big a deal.

Any ideas?

Just tell them you are willing to pay whatever it takes to change your room.:D

You got a D1 for $1600 and don't want it?

I don't recall the OP ever saying this or mentioning a dollar value. Maybe I missed something.

An adjoining door isn't that big a deal.

Well, that's really up to the OP, isn't it? I totally understand the OP's point of view and would want to change it as well. Different people have different priorities.

Just tell them you are willing to pay whatever it takes to change your room.:D

Yes, I agree. The purpose of gaurantees is you get a price break and chance of an upgrade in exchange for giving up say in which stateroom you receive. If you do not like certain staterooms, booking a guarantee is not a good choice. If too many people call and try to change rooms after their guarantee is assigned the cruise line might decide that offering guarantees is not worth the hassle.

I was recently told my a CS rep that they aren't allowed to change guarantees anymore...even if within the same category. However, since then someone reported here...that they had. So my advice...call. And if they don't let you...hand up...and try another rep. You may get lucky.

We just switched from the Independence to the Liberty. For about the same price we moved from a Promenade to a Liberty guarantee balcony and an extra night. I spoke with 2 different people at RCI and they both said I could switch to another cabin within the same category I was given.

I don't recall the OP ever saying this or mentioning a dollar value. Maybe I missed something.

Well, that's really up to the OP, isn't it? I totally understand the OP's point of view and would want to change it as well. Different people have different priorities.

No I sure didnt mention any dollar value and I sure don't understand WHAT that had to do with my post other than some people SURE are nosey:rolleyes:

Thanks for your reply.

So What. Now you don't think I can say my opinion. You just stated yours.

i was just inquiring about switching from a JS to a D-1 guarantee and asked about switching to another available D-1 once assigend if I didn't like it; the rep said they really aren't supposed to do that because then everyone would book a guarantee and then try and switch. she said you may get a c/s rep who will do it but they are told not to. didn't want to take a chance so i just downgraded to a D-1 that i could pick myself.

i was just inquiring about switching from a JS to a D-1 guarantee and asked about switching to another available D-1 once assigend if I didn't like it; the rep said they really aren't supposed to do that because then everyone would book a guarantee and then try and switch. she said you may get a c/s rep who will do it but they are told not to. didn't want to take a chance so i just downgraded to a D-1 that i could pick myself.
That's true. I've changed clients around within the same category lots of times trying to get them a better location. If you are refused the change the first time, the second time you call, the RCL rep will see in the notes that this was requested already and denied.

So What. Now you don't think I can say my opinion. You just stated yours.

Anybody can have and post an opinion. Your comments just didn't seem to be very helpful to the OP's situation. They also included items that were never mentioned by the OP and didn't seem relevant (like the price). So post away, but don't be surprised when people comment.

Yes, I agree. The purpose of gaurantees is you get a price break and chance of an upgrade in exchange for giving up say in which stateroom you receive. If you do not like certain staterooms, booking a guarantee is not a good choice. If too many people call and try to change rooms after their guarantee is assigned the cruise line might decide that offering guarantees is not worth the hassle.

Very well said.

Great post Gonz. If people are not willing to take what they give for a great price by booking a GTY, then they have no business booking it in the first place. Just something else to get abused, then done away with. I guess if I were RCCL, I wouldn't give the room # out until thye check in at the pier. (Take it, or don't board)

Have you checked to see if there is another cabin in the same category that you would prefer? If so, call and ask if you can switch. Or, ask to be put back into the guarantee pool to be reassigned. If you don't get the answer you want, just keep calling back until you get a customer service agent who will grant your request. Regardless of what the official policy is, there are many posts on CC from people who were able to get their quarantee assignment changed by requesting another cabin in the same category, or by requesting to go back into the guarantee pool, so it can't hurt to keep trying.

I booked a guarantee balcony with a TA on VOS sailing January 4, 2008. The RCCL website showed my cabin assignment the next day after booking. This was last week. I have not sailed RCCL in over 10 years and have more recently sailed smaller ships. After studing the cabin location, aft, starboard side, next to the family cabin, I discovered that there were no passenger elevators even close. After reading some of the reviews I found that there is often a problem with elevators (extremely busy) on this ship. To walk that far and possibly have to wait for an elevator was unacceptable to me.

I called my TA today for a change. He called back with two oceanviews (deck 2 & 3) and a balcony in the hump on deck 8. I would receive OBC for difference in the oceanviews and pay $120pp for the balcony, which is a downgrade to D1 from the previous D3 that was assigned. I took the balcony, paid the $240, and considered that I got off lightly. I booked late, quickly and did not check out the ship. On any other cruise line this location would have been acceptable because where the service elevators for crew are located there would have been passenger elevators.

I say all of this to say there are various reasons for why the guarantee may not work out for those of us selecting this option. Sass4 and I are simply two of those reasons.

Sass4 if you used a TA make contact to see what can be done. If you booked on your own contact RCCL as most ships are not sailing full due to the down turn in the economy.

A bit confused here...

What again is the description given when one books a guarantee :confused: :confused:

###

I just tried a dummy booking for a D1 balcony and this is what it says :

With this selection, you are guaranteed to receive a balcony stateroom, which could be in any balcony category (excluding suites), anywhere on the ship. Room assignments may be determined at any time after your reservation has been completed and paid in full up to the day of sailing.

Three Reps at RCCL have said to me "we don't care where you are as long as you stay in the assigned class as the one we assigned." Don't know if its true or they were just being nice, but that is what they said to my TA and I on different occassions.

Archived