Amsterdam vs Westerdam...Alaska

PZetz

I am trying to decide between the two ships for my Alaska cruise next June. Have done previous Alaska cruises that included Glacier Bay and Hubbard so itinerary is not the biggest deal for me.

Anyone been on both ships and can offer some pro/con opinions and advice? Thanks!!

I am trying to decide between the two ships for my Alaska cruise next June. Have done previous Alaska cruises that included Glacier Bay and Hubbard so itinerary is not the biggest deal for me.

Anyone been on both ships and can offer some pro/con opinions and advice? Thanks!!

Here's my review from the Westerdam in Alaska this past June

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=43123

I would sail on her again in an instant!

I've sailed the Amsterdam, as well as all the R-class ships, and the Noordam---same as the Westerdam.

I'd pick the Amsterdam. It's smaller, which I prefer. It also has more outside deck space---great for glacier watching, and also better for all the scenic cruising. There's lots of nice space out of the wind, and under another deck (it rains in Alaska, doncha know).

If you're more of a night owl, take the Westerdam. It has the new nightclub venue.

The Amsterdam will offer a more 'intimate' experience, being a smaller ship.

Have you checked the sticky "An Introduction to the Ships and Classes of the HAL Fleet"? It can be found http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=350993 and has tons of great information which might help you make your decision.

While we haven't been on either of these two ships, we have been on their some of their counterparts:

Oosterdam is a Vista class like the Westerdam is.

Volendam and Zaandam are R class, as is the Amsterdam.

All things being equal, we'd choose the Amsterdam. Small ship, Big experience!

Keep in mind that, apparantly, there are now NO trays in the Lido on the Westerdam, in case that would make a significant difference to you for your cruise enjoyment!

It also depends on what type cabin you intend to book. Westerdam has the very nice SS SY SZ category that we like. It is larger and nicer than the veranda suite on Amsterdam, yet not as expensive as the SA SB SC Deluxe suites on either ship. If you want just a veranda they are smaller on Westerdam. Also insides and ocean view are smaller on Westerdam. I like Glacier Bay, maybe it is because we have been to Hubbard Glacier so many times.

I've been on Amsterdam's sister ships, the Zaandam and Volendam, and on the Westerdam's sister ship, the Oosterdam. I decided to take an Alaskan cruise this coming summer, so I narrowed the choices by picking Seattle as a departure point. That left the ship choice to Zaandam, Westerdam, and Amsterdam. I had been to Glacier Bay, so that left the Z and A. The Zaandam is my 2nd favorite - but I'd like to try most of HAL's ships, so I picked the Amsterdam. It seems to be the favorite of many experienced HAL cruisers. I like the layout of the R ships better than the Vistas, and the smaller size. Just seems to fit me best.

Archived