My TA moved my final payment date up! Can they do this ??!!

honeywell

I've always had 2 payment due dates -- the TA one and RCI's. From my invoice I know when RCI's is - 10 business days earlier is my TA's. And yes, the reason has always been to ensure final payment is made in time for RCI. There's lots of variables why (her holidays, my holidays, stat holiday, business travel, etc.) -- while I've always known upfront the different due date I think I'd be upset if it was sprung on me like the OP.

I'm one of the 'rare' ones that pay with cash or cheque - in theory the 10 days is so she can receive the cheque, cash it (and make sure it clears) before payment is made to RCI -- in practise, she makes payment to RCI on the agencies corporate credit card long before my cheque is processed:). Smaller agencies might not allow a corporate cc to be used, so would need the extra process time.

I've always had 2 payment due dates -- the TA one and RCI's. From my invoice I know when RCI's is - 10 business days earlier is my TA's. And yes, the reason has always been to ensure final payment is made in time for RCI. There's lots of variables why (her holidays, my holidays, stat holiday, business travel, etc.) -- while I've always known upfront the different due date I think I'd be upset if it was sprung on me like the OP.

I'm one of the 'rare' ones that pay with cash or cheque - in theory the 10 days is so she can receive the cheque, cash it (and make sure it clears) before payment is made to RCI -- in practise, she makes payment to RCI on the agencies corporate credit card long before my cheque is processed:). Smaller agencies might not allow a corporate cc to be used, so would need the extra process time.

Exactly! I had THREE payment dates - the last one a last-minute change/surprise due immediately.

You better hope your TA doesn't close up after they get your cash someday. It happens. With a credit card you will never lose a dime if something should happen.

Hm..

I'm really confused.

We're cruising on 6.25 and our final payment to the travel agent is due 4.15!:eek:

Needless to say, it puts a cramp in my style, but does that mean that I really have longer to get it to RC?

No, you don't have extra time. Final payment for a 7 night or longer cruise is due 70 days in advance. Some TAs require it a few days in advance to protect everyone (power outage closes office, someone out sick, an unexpected problem with your credit card, etc) which is perfectly fine. A week to 10 days is a reasonable amount of advance time for a travel agent to ask for final payment. A month is not IMO, which is what it sounds like the OP's TA is asking.

my TA sets is about 7 days ahead, but i always know what the exact final date is from RC anyway..then she sends me a note a couple days ahead to remind me....

(..but...RC will not arbitrarily cancel you on final payment date if they don't have the money, especially if you have been paying some all along...they will contact you a couple times....and this was told to me by more RC staffers than i can count-when they lost a payment i made, and had proof of delivery of the bank check! all was made better...but it took 3 weeks)

the fact that the money is due so far ahead of your actual final payment is interesting though............

Last evening I received an email changing my final payment date to a few days sooner than the original. When I called for an explanation I was told this was because the office would be closed for the holidays. Nothing on my booking info says they have the right to demand early payment. Aside from being irritating, can they do this?

Ours was due on the 23rd. We paid on the 16th to ensure that our booking was full paid and confirmed. As others have said, no big deal and a smart thing to do.

I must be missing something. They sent an e-mail to notify you, right?

Yes, let me try to make myself clear - I didn't do a good job of it initially.

I booked last June and had a final payment date of 12/29 for my cruise on 4/4/09. (well in advance of payment to RCCL)

On 12/19 I rec'd an email saying my final payment is due in 3 days and NOT on 12/29 - simply because they want to close their office.

Keep in mind that they don't have to pay RCCL for my cruise until mid-January.

My issue is not that they are collecting a final payment well in advance, but that they moved my final payment date at the last minute without warning simply for their convenience. (see my previous post about mortgage company)

Yes, let me try to make myself clear - I didn't do a good job of it initially.

I booked last June and had a final payment date of 12/29 for my cruise on 4/4/09. (well in advance of payment to RCCL)

On 12/19 I rec'd an email saying my final payment is due in 3 days and NOT on 12/29 - simply because they want to close their office.

Keep in mind that they don't have to pay RCCL for my cruise until mid-January.

My issue is not that they are collecting a final payment well in advance, but that they moved my final payment date at the last minute without warning simply for their convenience. (see my previous post about mortgage company)

I think you're right to question your TA on this. Most importantly, be sure to reconfirm with RC that your final payment has been made! Then, enjoy your cruise. :)

You better hope your TA doesn't close up after they get your cash someday. It happens. With a credit card you will never lose a dime if something should happen.

No worries about that. Canadian's are protected and especially in Ontario we're covered by TICO (Travel Industry Council of Ontario) and the Ontario Travel Industry Compensation Fund. All travel agencies and/or wholesalers in Ontario are required to register with TICO.

http://mytico.ca/downloads/cac%20tool%20kit/TICO%20eticket%20stuffer.pdf

We are on your 4/4/09 IOS and made our final payment today but it was my choice to do today, no pressure at all from my TA. She asks a week before RCCL due date(mid Jan) and has never asked or moved it up in previous cruises. Maybe you need a new TA. Can't blame you on how you feel.

Mike

Archived