Da Nang, Vietnam

Shelly&Jack

We'll be in port from 7AM to 6PM in Da Nang. From Google Earth it appears that the city of Hue is about 50 miles north of Da Nang and Hoi An about 15 miles south (both as the crow flies).

Is Da Nang a nice city to walk around on your own or would you recommend taking a ship's excursion. Can you safely get into center city Da Nang from the port via walking or cab? At this time I do not know if the shipe will provide a shuttle into town.

As an example, our cruise (Azamara Quest) has a Da Nang excursion "Da Nang by Rickshaw" at $42 per person or $82 for the two of us. My guess is most of the cost is for the motor coach, not the rickshaw. I assume that we could hire a rickshaw at a significantly lower cost and see the sites on our own and at our leisure.

Or is it worthwhile going to Hoi An (8 hour ship's excursion in combination with a Da Nang tour at $98 pp)?

We'll be in port from 7AM to 6PM in Da Nang. From Google Earth it appears that the city of Hue is about 50 miles north of Da Nang and Hoi An about 15 miles south (both as the crow flies).

Is Da Nang a nice city to walk around on your own or would you recommend taking a ship's excursion. Can you safely get into center city Da Nang from the port via walking or cab? At this time I do not know if the shipe will provide a shuttle into town.

As an example, our cruise (Azamara Quest) has a Da Nang excursion "Da Nang by Rickshaw" at $42 per person or $82 for the two of us. My guess is most of the cost is for the motor coach, not the rickshaw. I assume that we could hire a rickshaw at a significantly lower cost and see the sites on our own and at our leisure.

Or is it worthwhile going to Hoi An (8 hour ship's excursion in combination with a Da Nang tour at $98 pp)?

It really depends on how long you are in Hue. There is the Forbidden Purple City in Hue which quite interesting as it was based on the Forbidden City in Beijing. We spent several hours there after doing a trip up the Perfume river but this was not from a cruise. We did a separate tour of Vietnam after our cruise on the Sapphire Princess.

It would probably be better to visit Hoi An and Danang if you only have one day. Hoi An is a heritage listed city and quite easy to walk about because cars are not allowed inside the city on certain days. We spent two days there because it is a fabulous place to get suits and clothes made in 24 hours. Unfortunately you won't have time ,but places like A. Dong Silk on Le Loi street could probably make them and send them to your home address if you were interested. Hoi An has wonderful silk lanterns and pashimas plus several old houses as well as the famous Japanese bridge.

In Danang you would most likely visit the Cham Museum and maybe the marble factory which is incredible. On your way to Hoi an from Danang you will pass the famous China Beach which is now becoming a resort area.

I would advise the Hoi an trip which is more interesting than the rickshaw in Hue. Have fun. :)

When we were setting up our Da Nang shore excursion for our cruise on Azamara this January, the agency told us given the time, you cannot do both Hue and Hoi An and the latter made for a much more relaxed day that allowed for an overview of Da Nang on the way back to the ship. So we are spending most of the day in Hoi An, having lunch there and then depending on how the group feels (there are 8 of us) we will decide on the way back what to see in Da Nang.

We arranged the tour through a local travel agency, it includes lunch and is costing us $55 per person based on a group of 8. In broad outline the tour includes the following:

On arrival at Tien Sa port, our guide and private car will transfer you to Hoian. Hoi An was a major Asian trading port in the 17th and 18th centuries and its architecture and relaxed lifestyle has changed little over the years. Take a walking tour of the ancient town centre to visit former merchants’ houses, the 400 year-old Japanese Covered Bridge, a Chinese communal hall and the colourful market. Have lunch in Hoi An. On the way back to the port, visit Marble Mountain where five sacred hills containing dozens of Buddhist shrines can be seen. Continue to the Cham Museum, which contains the finest collection of Cham sculptures in the world. Return to the Cruise before 18 :30.

We arrange the tour through EXOTISSIMO TRAVEL VIETNAM. For further info and contact simply Google the above name and go to their web site.

Thanks for the information. I'll see if I can find some others to also hire extissimo.com to go to An Hoi, but our message board on CC does not have many members. I am very leery that private car drivers in third world countries will attempt extortion to get us back to the ship in time. Perhaps there is safety in numbers.

last year on rccl raphsody of the sea we when to Danang and Hoi an and we enjoy Hoi an it was very nice and fun but beware of vietvalue travel they give a good price and ask for more during the tour very dishonest .

but would go back to Hoi an anytime enjoy

sylvain

Thanks for the information. I'll see if I can find some others to also hire extissimo.com to go to An Hoi, but our message board on CC does not have many members. I am very leery that private car drivers in third world countries will attempt extortion to get us back to the ship in time. Perhaps there is safety in numbers.

You may want to contact the Furama Resort in DaNang. They have an EXCELLENT tour operation going. I am sure they can make arrangements to get you to Hoi Ann. They actually have their own shuttle, but I believe it is only for hotel guests. Certainly worth a try-the worst they can say is no.

Absolutely fantastic hotel (I have stayed there 8 times). The service is great. The people are warm and friendly. The scenery is great. And the beachfront rooms are simply fantastic without being "over the top" as the Nam Hai in Hoi Ann is. Hoi An is only about a 45 minute drive and a village you can EASILY do on your own. Grab your guide book and just wander around.

http://www.furamavietnam.com/?l=en&p=excursion

You can also contact the local Hoi An travel agency. I used them to find me a car and driver from DaNang to Nha Trang when I was caught with a late arriving train into Nha Trang. They provided EXCELLENT service, spoke fairly good English. AND they now have an "associate" in OHIO. Credit card processing ONLINE, so no sending copies of credit cards via fax to Vietnam (which is commonly asked for).

http://hoianvietnamtours.com/default.aspx

last year on rccl raphsody of the sea we when to Danang and Hoi an and we enjoy Hoi an it was very nice and fun but beware of vietvalue travel they give a good price and ask for more during the tour very dishonest .

but would go back to Hoi an anytime enjoy

sylvain

On second thought we decided to use the ship's excursion to Da Nang and Hoi An. We are not fans of full bus loads of passengers on an excursion. However, the additional cost is only about $50 pp and there is comfort in knowing the ship will always wait for its excursion passengers to return prior to sailing. Our cruise thread only has perhaps 20 or so passengers so to gather 8 for a private tour would not be easy.

Just do a deal with a cab driver Danang to Hoian return. stop at Granite mountain on the way there for 1 hour there is a monastry in the middle of the mountain this is awsome the Viet kong hid here from American bombers during the war then onward to Hoian.two hours here will be eneough. on the way back stop at China beach for a drink 15 minutes, its oposite granite mountain.don,t eat chicken {bird flu} or [pork blue toung disease}

its ok now but better safe than sorry you will enjoy v/nam Grumphy

Just do a deal with a cab driver Danang to Hoian return. stop at Granite mountain on the way there for 1 hour there is a monastry in the middle of the mountain this is awsome the Viet kong hid here from American bombers during the war then onward to Hoian.two hours here will be eneough. on the way back stop at China beach for a drink 15 minutes, its oposite granite mountain.don,t eat chicken {bird flu} or [pork blue toung disease}

its ok now but better safe than sorry you will enjoy v/nam Grumphy

thanks Grumphy

we're thinking of just getting a cab to and from Hoi An. Any idea what it should cost? Al has worked out we go over the mountain one way and I think there's a tunnel to come back through?

pete and al

Do a round trip deal with the cab driver for the day. he will wait for you at the mountain, china beach, and hoi an, $50 should be plenty the cabs are small its only short rides four people at squeeze. Danang Hoi an is about 40 minutes.its not a mountain. like a disused volcano. thers a lot steps that take you to the top then you come down by another route to the bottom you walk around base about 800 yds to where you started from. your cab driver will find you. plus the locals will help. buy the driver a soda and pay him on completion. i would sagest you buy brita water bottles with a inbuilt filter use the ships water. i,m not sure if they sell in the usa.but look for simalar to use on this trip. i,m not sure about the weather could be very hot humid or wet. you will enjoy this trip have a great christmas Grumphy

I am doubtfull if I should go to Hue or Hoi An. My first option would be Hue but route is probably too long, and time consuming. How scenic is the route to Hue?. Can I see typical rice fields?. I don´t know, but they appear in all books of Vietnam as one of the most beautiful sights in the planet. How interesting is the city of Da Nang itself?.

Sorry, there are too many questions.........

I am doubtfull if I should go to Hue or Hoi An. My first option would be Hue but route is probably too long, and time consuming. How scenic is the route to Hue?. Can I see typical rice fields?. I don´t know, but they appear in all books of Vietnam as one of the most beautiful sights in the planet. How interesting is the city of Da Nang itself?.

Sorry, there are too many questions.........

The road to Hue is very scenic. High mountain road with a lot of twists and turns (unless they take the tunnel, which means far less scenery). There are rice fields all over south of Da Nang. And the way they harvest the rice is VERY interesting-they actually use the shoulders of the paved roads for a lot of the harvest.

Personally, I find Hoi An more interesting than Hue, but I am not into temples, museums, etc. When I travel, I am into people and the local way of life. As many times as I have been in Beijing, I have yet to see the Forbidden City. I much prefer to just wander around and hang out people watching.

DaNang was the site of of HUGE US presence during the Vietnam War. There are a lot of US War installations still visible around DaNang. And just outside of Hoi An is the HUGE Chu Lai US base. If you are interested in the American presence in Vietnam during the war, lots of historical sites.

One thing to check out which I find very innovative and interesting: A lot of the large bomb craters made during the War are now used for fish farming. The Vietnamese are VERY enterprising. Enjoy!!!

Do a round trip deal with the cab driver for the day. he will wait for you at the mountain, china beach, and hoi an, $50 should be plenty the cabs are small its only short rides four people at squeeze. Danang Hoi an is about 40 minutes.its not a mountain. like a disused volcano. thers a lot steps that take you to the top then you come down by another route to the bottom you walk around base about 800 yds to where you started from. your cab driver will find you. plus the locals will help. buy the driver a soda and pay him on completion. i would sagest you buy brita water bottles with a inbuilt filter use the ships water. i,m not sure if they sell in the usa.but look for simalar to use on this trip. i,m not sure about the weather could be very hot humid or wet. you will enjoy this trip have a great christmas Grumphy

thanks again. I was getting the trip to hoi an confused with hue (mountains and tunnel)

i'll have a look for the britta filters, we're only over in sunny Brisvegas!

looking forward to watching the start of the sydney hobart on the box today. one of the things I loved about growing up in sydney was our trip in to town to watch the start of the race from up on south head

pete

The road to Hue is very scenic. High mountain road with a lot of twists and turns (unless they take the tunnel, which means far less scenery). There are rice fields all over south of Da Nang. And the way they harvest the rice is VERY interesting-they actually use the shoulders of the paved roads for a lot of the harvest.

Personally, I find Hoi An more interesting than Hue, but I am not into temples, museums, etc. When I travel, I am into people and the local way of life. As many times as I have been in Beijing, I have yet to see the Forbidden City. I much prefer to just wander around and hang out people watching.

DaNang was the site of of HUGE US presence during the Vietnam War. There are a lot of US War installations still visible around DaNang. And just outside of Hoi An is the HUGE Chu Lai US base. If you are interested in the American presence in Vietnam during the war, lots of historical sites.

One thing to check out which I find very innovative and interesting: A lot of the large bomb craters made during the War are now used for fish farming. The Vietnamese are VERY enterprising. Enjoy!!!

The craters are also used to farm prawns. They put a net over the crater.

Then farm ducks on top. The Duck droppings feed the prawns.Enjoy ??

waste not want not. Grumphy

thanks again. I was getting the trip to hoi an confused with hue (mountains and tunnel)

i'll have a look for the britta filters, we're only over in sunny Brisvegas!

looking forward to watching the start of the sydney hobart on the box today. one of the things I loved about growing up in sydney was our trip in to town to watch the start of the race from up on south head

pete[/quote

Sorry i did not realise you where a Bannana Bender until after i had posted. As a Sandgropher i enjoy followling the Sydney race as well. we will be going to the Apple Island This febuary. maybe you would like to interpret for our USA cruise critics. have a great new year to all the Cruise Critic members Grumphy

I just did the ship's excursion a few days ago and it was wonderful! Loved Hoi An and we had plenty of time there, had lunch at a lovely restaurant, saw the marble mountains, the marble factory and China beach. The little town was charming and I'm glad I didn't miss it. Judy:)

On second thought we decided to use the ship's excursion to Da Nang and Hoi An. We are not fans of full bus loads of passengers on an excursion. However, the additional cost is only about $50 pp and there is comfort in knowing the ship will always wait for its excursion passengers to return prior to sailing. Our cruise thread only has perhaps 20 or so passengers so to gather 8 for a private tour would not be easy.

• 1 month later...

Keep in mind while planning that 50 miles in Vietnam is not the same as 50 miles in the US. There are very few highways as we know them and travel from city to city is generally about half as fast as here.

That being said, the scenery is amazingly beautiful!

How feasible is doing Hue and Hoi An in a day renting a van with a local driver?.

Legend docked at Chan May. There is nothing around it.

I would imagine unless you tender off Da Nang, this will be where you dock. From what we were told it is equidistant between Hoi An and Hue but our taxi driver told us that Hue was further. Taxi to Hoi AN return USD100. Lots of cabs vans on dock. All strated higher but I heard no-ne get lower than $100. Tourist Authority in Hoi An said that should be no more than USD65!!

There is no way you could do both in a day as speed limits are low, traffic is terrible and roads are bad so there is no ability to travel at high speed between these places.

We had booked and paid up front for a private tour to Hoi An but the driver failed to turn up and despite numerous calls and conversations with the company while we stood hopefully on the dock they failed to show and we did our money USD135.

Hoi An was lovely. Despite it being a supposedly a motorised traffic free day there were motorbikes zooming around. On the way back we stopped at Marble Mountain and went up to the pagoda. Was a great end to what had started out a terrible day.

Thanks Newfarmers, MJC. Despite Exotissimo Travel has offered us a Hue-Hoi An on the same day, we don´t want to rush in that way as not to see anything properly. It would hectic and stressing. We are eleven, so we may rent a small minibus.

It gives us versatility of making the best of our time, and stopping where we like. We have chosen Hue at the end.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know about excursions to Hue from DaNang on Princess? We will be going next Feb on the Ocean Princess. I was stationed in Phu Bai, where the Hue airport is. It's just south of Hue. My hooch was next to Highway One and the railroad. Been to Hue many times, and to DaNang over the Hai Van pass many times. It's a very scenic view, and once over the pass going north you pass a most lovely village at the base of the mountain on a slip of beach with a big tidal lagoon to the west. I must go back over the pass, hopefully without the threat of RPG rounds raining down so I can enjoy the view for a change. I know it will bring back some emotions but I want to show my wife were I spent a year of my life and see a beautiful country and people in a different light.

We had booked and paid up front for a private tour to Hoi An but the driver failed to turn up and despite numerous calls and conversations with the company while we stood hopefully on the dock they failed to show and we did our money USD135.

Please name the company and contact so we do not use them. Did you phone them and what did they say?

Archived