Beginning 1/1/09, Shareholder OBC will be combinable with............

......I decided to let the chart where it is eventhough it is only an 'interpretation' by me based on information from a lonely and lowly creep at RCI because it is already out there and I can easily modify it if neccessary.But in the future I stay away from all this information crap and just inform a few dear friends on CC so they can plan accordingly if I should hear something.

I'm sorry you had to go through all this just for providing us with valid information. I've enjoyed your posts as I said another time. :)

Please keep me in the loop. :D

As a new Diamond and an exisitng shareholder, I had used my last Next Cruise open booking that I had from 4/08 to book the Oasis, which I did with my TA on 12/18. I have not yet received my booking # from RCL.

Since I reserved a balony, and received a discount, I would assume that since I RESERVED my cruise BEFORE 12/31 (I have already been charged for the deposit) but have NOT contacted Shareholder Relations for Shareholder Credit, that I am STILL able to combine my NextCruise, Balcony, and shareholder discounts when I finally receive my booking # and contact Shareholder Relations? That's my interpretation of the rules. Any thoughts?

I am also very glad I book so many in advance. I have 5 small cruises with both SH and OBC attached, our Serenade and Oasis has SH, OBC, and Diamond balcony discount attached. Until I sell my stock (which won't be at least until Oasis in April 2010) I will use that for the little cruises. On 7 nighters, the Balcony discount is more, so I will use that. Absolutely no incentive anymore to book while on board. We always did before, but until I sell the stock, will just book whenever a good deal comes up.

The decision was made. And they seem to stick with it. The problem is the same though as it is with most companies:

Each department in customer service just doesn't know about the other. Reservation doesn't know exactly what C & A offers, C & A is not fully informed what Investor Relations does and Investor Relation of course does not know all the extended benefits of C & A members.

Customer Relations people are usually trying to give you an answer on outdated policies, trying guess work or there are simple misunderstandings because of the terminology.

I.e. If you followed the early stages of the chart there was confusion about FC. On board of ships FutureCruise is shortened with FC, very much like NC stands for NextCruise. But you will be surprised when you call reservations and you utter the abbreviation FC. It is actually the abbreviation of Future Cruisecredit (RCI issued OBC for i.e. refunds, complaints etc). The FutureCruise program is mostly unknown to the average land based reservation agent because they never get involved in it. Even if you change that FutureCruise, a reservation agent does not know that it was booked onboard unless someone goes deeper into the reservation.

The e-mail address from Linda is a catch-all mail address, very much like our friend Mr Fitzgerald. E-mails are being distributed automatically through employees in that particular department.

Just like agoldstein@ or rfain@, Linda probably does exist but there is no person on earth who can answer thousands of e-mails on a daily basis so these e-mail addresses are catch-all. E-mails will be distributed through the department thus (see above): different answers with the same e-mail.

The chart was filled out by a regular normal person who is above regular customer service. You will never get to him unless you know his e-mail address or his extension. The guarantee that the chart was created correctly is given by the fact that even if he does not know the answer he will get it for me by contacting the correct department or simply tells me to contact person xyz (using him as reference). Through that person I climbed the ladder of ranks to get information. They are all real people not a catch-all e-mail address.

What bothers me though is not only the constant trashing of information given by certain people (Kewlguy went through it as well) but the dissing of people while not knowing that person. The person I deal with I know personally i.e. we met at Dolphins games etc. He is a stand-up guy and just because he asked me not to publicise his name does not give anybody the right to dismantle his integrity. Unfortuntately while defending him and the information he gave me an admin came down hard on me but let the attacks on him and the information provided stand (no Pattie, not you. You are a stand-up gal).

People act like they are looking for information but have nothing better to do then pitch one information against another information (based on biased towards CC members and/or what they like to hear) totally forgetting that

a) information can change

b) rather have more information than none

c) they should take every information they get and then act accordingly

I don't care what CCers say about me and if they take my info for granted or not (so far my track record is pretty good though) but when a friend of mine gets bashed in order to get back at me that's where it ends.

I decided to let the chart where it is eventhough it is only an 'interpretation' by me based on information from a lonely and lowly creep at RCI because it is already out there and I can easily modify it if neccessary.But in the future I stay away from all this information crap and just inform a few dear friends on CC so they can plan accordingly if I should hear something.

Thanks for your hard work, and for defending your friend. It is appreciated by most of us.;)

I have not yet received my booking # from RCL.

Your booking number should be the same as your NC number.

kwok,

I don't know all the intricate details as many of the experts on this board; but my NC (booking#) always stayed the same and upon dedication; became the reservation ID (same number). Since you converted your NC on 12/18 to an actual sailing, I'd let shareholder relations do their thing ASAP and preferable before year end just to be safe! Don't know if SH will speak directly to you, however, since you're using a TA.

But this begs another question. Will all the combinable perks we're getting on cruises reserved prior to 12/31 be lost if we later change to another sailing? Expecting to possibly change some of these sailings, I hope none of the perks will be lost so long as the reservation number remains intact along the way. Has this scenario been considered already?

Isn't this FUN? Keith

kwok,

I don't know all the intricate details as many of the experts on this board; but my NC (booking#) always stayed the same and upon dedication; became the reservation ID (same number). Since you converted your NC on 12/18 to an actual sailing, I'd let shareholder relations do their thing ASAP and preferable before year end just to be safe! Don't know if SH will speak directly to you, however, since you're using a TA.

But this begs another question. Will all the combinable perks we're getting on cruises reserved prior to 12/31 be lost if we later change to another sailing? Expecting to possibly change some of these sailings, I hope none of the perks will be lost so long as the reservation number remains intact along the way. Has this scenario been considered already?

Isn't this FUN? Keith

I have heard that you can't switch sailings or you will lose your perks.:(

As a new Diamond and an exisitng shareholder, I had used my last Next Cruise open booking that I had from 4/08 to book the Oasis, which I did with my TA on 12/18. I have not yet received my booking # from RCL.

Since I reserved a balony, and received a discount, I would assume that since I RESERVED my cruise BEFORE 12/31 (I have already been charged for the deposit) but have NOT contacted Shareholder Relations for Shareholder Credit, that I am STILL able to combine my NextCruise, Balcony, and shareholder discounts when I finally receive my booking # and contact Shareholder Relations? That's my interpretation of the rules. Any thoughts?

As Carol said..........the NC booking number used to book Oasis is now the booking number on record. Your NC has been activated and now you can just email shareholder benefits with all the necessary information.

I would try to do it before 12/31 though.

kwok,

Isn't this FUN? Keith

Keith, if you have any cruises that were booked prior to 12/31 for 2009/2010 you will receive all the benefits that you are entitled to.

However, if for some reason you have to transfer that reservation but keep the same booking number...........and I mean change ship/sailing date/itinerary............you will lose everything and have to select just one benefit.

This doesn't include changing a cabin by say doing an upgrade on an already booked cruise.

@CRUISEAHOLIC

@beachbuddy

Not about me. I can defend myself. I do have a boundary though. That boundary is:

- pets

- family

- friends and people I respect

Any attack - verbally or physically - on these groups I turn into a meanie. :D

I certainly can defend myself but hey, those who are dear to me? Heck no. I go bananas. :)

I turn into a stubborn, grumpy old man. :p

You, a stubborn, grumpy old man..................now how did you ever come to that conclusion?;)

Don't you dare stop posting information on these boards. We might not always agree with each other..............but I do value your opinion.

Fl Cruiser from the very begining with you chart you stated that the benefits would not be combinable and it has certainly has stayed the way you chart said. You were right in the begining and are still correct to this day. I just saw an old thread come back on the front page about the benefits being reinstated which I am sure will cause some confusion on the boards.

It is what it is, everyone seems to be holding on to that last email dated 12/18 from Linda and taking it as gospel not realizing that it is no longer that way all I can say is they will be in for a surprize when they try to combine benefits after 1/1/09 and come on here and complain that there was an email dated 12/18 that said we could combine our benefits Things change and you will no longer be able to combine them. Validate this yourself if you do not believe what is on here.

Please do not stop posting because of a few posters who were hostile. I decided to fight when I read your chart by calling and writing but in the end it made not a bit of difference but I do feel better that I did take those actions. I also posted when I knew the benefits were no longer going to be combinable to warn others that they needed to start using their benefits before 12/31 and was treated like the boy that cried wolf by some on here.

All I can say is all my benefits are now on booked cruises. Fl Cruiser you did me a great service by bringing your chart out for that I do thank you.

This thread is so informative - thank you everyone! The one discount I don't understand from the chart (which goes away 12/31), is the balcony discount. What exactly does this mean? Is it only for diamond members? We've booked an aft balcony for our 14 night Panama Canal Cruise in October. This will be our 2nd cruise with RC (sailed Hawaii last October). Should I call my TA? Am I missing out on a discount, or am I completely misunderstanding something here?

Thanks.

This thread is so informative - thank you everyone! The one discount I don't understand from the chart (which goes away 12/31), is the balcony discount. What exactly does this mean? Is it only for diamond members? We've booked an aft balcony for our 14 night Panama Canal Cruise in October. This will be our 2nd cruise with RC (sailed Hawaii last October). Should I call my TA? Am I missing out on a discount, or am I completely misunderstanding something here?

Thanks.

Patinum, Diamond and Diamond + are eligible for a balcony discount. Once you complete 5 cruises or I should say 5 credits, you become a platinum member of C&A.

Patty

And the Platinum, Diamond and Diamond Plus balcony discounts are as follows.................

Platinum Balcony Discounts (5 cruise credits)

$ 50 for sailings of 3-5 nights

$100 for sailings of 6-9 nights

$200 for sailings of 10+ nights

Diamond (10 cruise credits)/Diamond Plus (24 cruise credits) Balcony Discounts are

$100 for sailings of 3-5 nights

$200 for sailings of 6-9 nights

$300 for sailings of 10+ nights

Originally, we were planning on doing a short cruise over Memorial day weekend. With the RCL policy change I am more leaning to going to Key West over the same weekend.I'm sure KW will appreciate our $$ a little more. Should I write RCL (again)with my displeasure and noting our vacation change of plans and the reason why ?

Originally, we were planning on doing a short cruise over Memorial day weekend. With the RCL policy change I am more leaning to going to Key West over the same weekend.I'm sure KW will appreciate our $$ a little more. Should I write RCL (again)with my displeasure and noting our vacation change of plans and the reason why ?

I really don't think that any further communications will do any good. It sounds like they have made a "final" decision and are "firmly" going to stick to it!:rolleyes::(:D

I really don't think that any further communications will do any good. It sounds like they have made a "final" decision and are "firmly" going to stick to it!:rolleyes::(:D

Hi Patti,

I'm still not convinced that it's final yet. I called C&A today just to confirm that my shareholder and NC OBC's were posted for our upcoming March cruise and they were so I was happy with that.

While I had her on the phone I asked her what the rules were for after 1/1/09 and she told me that nothing was combinable and we would have to pick what we wanted to use. I told her that I friend of mine (you) recieved an email from Investor Relations just a few weeks ago saying that the Shareholder OBC would still be combinable with the balcony discount and she said "yes, that will be combinable", but the NC OBC won't be. So then I told her that others received messages that it would not be combinable so there was a lot of confusion over this. I also told her that the only reason I even know of these changes is because I read Cruise Critic. I told her I was never notified about the changes and I can just imagine the effect it will have on people that don't read cruise critic and go to book their cruise after Jan 1st and finding out that the rules have changed. She agreed and then said "oh, let me look at my graph here and double check" and when she got back on the phone she said "Oh, according to my graph, the shareholder OBC is not combinable either", but she also told me that they are still fighting over it so I'm not ready to give up on it yet. I wonder if the graph she was looking at was similar to what FL Cruiser posted for us...........LOL

I told her that I understand that they have to cut back because of the economy but that many people were very satisfied with having at least the Shareholder OBC combinable with the balcony discount and she more or less agreed that doing it the way they are, the P/D members are really not getting a benefit. Seems they are getting lots of calls about this issue. It sounded to me that there's still some discussion going on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed..........and toes........LOL Guess we just have to wait till after Jan 1st and see what happens.

I'm not as angry about losing the OBC's as I am about them not giving P/D members an extra benefit. We should be able to pick one OBC just like everyone else and then also be eligible for the additional balcony discount because of our status in C&A.

Patty

as has been said, I would contact them ASAP. WE recently changed a sailing that we had already received confirmation of ALL the OBCs & we went ahead and emailed them to let them know . we didn't want the holidays to mess any thing up. Good luck

LOVE the smilie faces, they say it ALL.

Fl Cruiser--thanks for all the info. I have learned sooooooo much from CC boards. I agree with beachbuddy--what do the folks that don't haunt CC do? I feel sorry for the folks that think they will have all kinds of OBC, I for one am glad I won't have THAT surprise afterWednesday.

Thanks Patty for the update on your recent phone call. I guess we shall all have to just hang in there and wait until they try to come up with a reasonable solution.................though I don't think they will make everyone happy.

I don't think "1" OBC and "1" benefit is asking too much. We've all been spoiled with all the benefits and OBC's we've been able to combine..........that's where the problem starts!

If you're not going to give P/D/D+ members any special benefit...........then what's the importance of earning cruise credits anymore. Why even have those levels within C&A..............let's just call everyone equal.

Thanks Patty for the update on your recent phone call. I guess we shall all have to just hang in there and wait until they try to come up with a reasonable solution.................though I don't think they will make everyone happy.

I don't think "1" OBC and "1" benefit is asking too much. We've all been spoiled with all the benefits and OBC's we've been able to combine..........that's where the problem starts!

If you're not going to give P/D/D+ members any special benefit...........then what's the importance of earning cruise credits anymore. Why even have those levels within C&A..............let's just call everyone equal.

Patti,

I totally agree with you. That's been my only beef all along. I can understand them not allowing the combining of a lot of OBC's and discounts but they really need to consider leaving us with one OBC and one benefit such as the balcony discount to combine. That's not going to break them and I think a lot of members will be happy with that. I think all we can do at this point is sit back and see what happens after Jan 1st. Let's just watch it play out and see if they stick to their decisions.

To be honest, the first time I'm even combining OBC's is this March. I never had NC certificates before and I purchased stock last January and this is the first time I'm even using it as an OBC...........so I wouldn't say I was spoiled before......LOL So I won't miss it as much as some of you will. I only purchased the NC certificates because they were pushing them and it was a "no brainer" to buy them. They were worth the OBC, but not anymore. I still have one and can't decide on a cruise so guess I won't get the OBC when I use it.

Patty

I bought a Next Cruise Certificate on my AOS trip last April. There was talk of them charging a fuel supplement to me no matter when I decide to cruise if I use my Next Cruise Certificate because it was during that time frame when they were charging the fuel supplement, that I purchased Next Cruise. Is this still the case or have they recended on this decision?

I bought a Next Cruise Certificate on my AOS trip last April. There was talk of them charging a fuel supplement to me no matter when I decide to cruise if I use my Next Cruise Certificate because it was during that time frame when they were charging the fuel supplement, that I purchased Next Cruise. Is this still the case or have they recended on this decision?

Here is the link to the most recent press release stating that the fuel surcharge has been suspended beginning January 1, 2009.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ourCompany/pressCenter/pressReleases/info.do;jsessionid=0000SJR7O0RjnInSJZHcXHavLS9:12hdhu87a?prDate=12-05-2008&prCode=A

I honestly do believe if they allow the OBC's to be combinable (NC/FC, Stockholder) and stipulate if you do not use them OB, you will not get it credited back to you credit card if not spent. This would be a win win for all. Balcony discounts are a different animal.

I think OBCs are more complicated then your suggestion of use them or lose them. How would you distinguish a RCI OBC from a TA OBC or a Visa OBC? Also, if I spend $400 in advance of the cruise on extras(excursions, spec rest) wouldn't you have to deduct those from any RCI OBC before your suggestion is put into play? Finally, if a prepayed excusion or specialty restaurant is cancelled during the cruise and credited to my onboard account, would that also have to be spent on board.

The truth is, I always prepay for ship excursions and the specialty restaurants and usally the amount prepaid is in excess of any RCI(NC and/or SH) OBC.

Archived