Reviews, What Do You Like To See In A Review

cruisinnorth

I will tell you what I do not want to see in a review. Remember, this is a review of a cruise, not of your life.

1) I do not care about how you got from your home city to the cruise city.

2) I do not care about missed plane connections or traffic.

3) I do not care that you are going on the cruise w your Uncle Charlie and his 6 kids and your mother-in-law.

4) I do not care about the problems you had getting from the pre-cruise hotel to the ship.

5) I do not care about the quality of the room at your hotel and the fact that burger-a-go-go had really good fries.

6) I care even less about problems with your flight home.

7) I do not want to see pictures of your entire family at the hotel in Miami or at the restaurant where you had dinner the night before the cruise.

My interest starts when you arrive at the embarcation terminal and end when you leave the terminal.

Do you get the idea - this a cruise review, not a life review.

DON

Hi Donald SC - Great post :)

I love the way you made your point while being very entertaining in the process :)

I really would like to see well-focused pictures, and not just itsy bitsy ones. You can't add them in the Reviews section, but you can provide a link and you can add pictures into posts on the boards, as well as to the Photo Gallery (but please not ONLY the Photo Gallery).

Oh, and what Don said. :D

Two of the mose recent reviews that I have enjoyed were written by "tuggers" and the other by "sailorJack"! One is full of humor and the other is full of specific information. Both were wonderful to read.

Diboja:

Your are right on track as far as good reviews. I've been reading these boards for a while. I have two favorite reviewers. Tuggers with her daily details and Sailerjack's daily shenanigans with Sailerjill. Both reviewers had posts that kept me coming back for more. If anyone has not had a chance to read these threads, I would highly recommend them.

Gillianrose:

Yes. One picture can make up for anything. Even an entire page without paragraphs can be wonderful with one picture.

My own two cents:

Mostly, just be honest in your posts. Give me the good, bad and ugly. I'm okay with a lot of things as long I can expect them. I realize perfection is not within my budget. As long as I know before I sign the dotted line, everything is good.

I will tell you what I do not want to see in a review. Remember, this is a review of a cruise, not of your life.

1) I do not care about how you got from your home city to the cruise city.

2) I do not care about missed plane connections or traffic.

3) I do not care that you are going on the cruise w your Uncle Charlie and his 6 kids and your mother-in-law.

4) I do not care about the problems you had getting from the pre-cruise hotel to the ship.

5) I do not care about the quality of the room at your hotel and the fact that burger-a-go-go had really good fries.

6) I care even less about problems with your flight home.

7) I do not want to see pictures of your entire family at the hotel in Miami or at the restaurant where you had dinner the night before the cruise.

My interest starts when you arrive at the embarcation terminal and end when you leave the terminal.

Do you get the idea - this a cruise review, not a life review.

DON

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it is by no means universal. I am linking to a review in the Oceania column by the great JackfromWA

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=528321&highlight=jackfromwa

This review contained most of the items you did not want, but it drew 389 replies so far, with more than 34,000 views, making it possibly the most popular review on this cruise critic board. The author ended up being personally invited by the president of the cruise line to become a speaker on a subsequent voyage. He also published it in the form of a book, and distributed it free (perhaps thousands of copies), with the recipients promising to make a donation to charity.

Some years earlier, a certain SteveBear also wrote meticulous lengthy reviews nearly as interesting as "The adventures of Tom Sawyer", which were really enjoyed by many many readers on the Silversea column. So I guess different folks have different preferences!

I would also like to see reviews from people that compare different cruise lines.

What makes this cruise better or worse than other cruises you have taken.

What made you decide to take this particular cruise?

Was there any specific foods you really enjoyed or disliked? (from reading these boards I will try the waffles):)

What really impressed you with the cruise, positive or negative.

It is interesting to see how people seem to either love or hate the verbose reviews that include every detail from the moment that person left their house until they returned home.

Hi, Sky Sweet! :)

I think that long, detailed reviews can be good if they are written by someone who is a talented writer -- who has a gift for word choice and the flow of the narrative, and who injects a little humor and perspective into the story instead of nonstop praise or stinging sarcasm. A review that reads like a good story, instead of a dull travel diary, can be a joy to read. Unfortunately, too many people get bogged down in meaningless minutiae. I'm probably as guilty as the next person of too much detail, but at least I try to give paragraph headings so people can skip to what interests them.;)

--Junglejane

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it is by no means universal. I am linking to a review in the Oceania column by the great JackfromWA

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=528321&highlight=jackfromwa

This review contained most of the items you did not want, but it drew 389 replies so far, with more than 34,000 views, making it possibly the most popular review on this cruise critic board. The author ended up being personally invited by the president of the cruise line to become a speaker on a subsequent voyage. He also published it in the form of a book, and distributed it free (perhaps thousands of copies), with the recipients promising to make a donation to charity.

Some years earlier, a certain SteveBear also wrote meticulous lengthy reviews nearly as interesting as "The adventures of Tom Sawyer", which were really enjoyed by many many readers on the Silversea column. So I guess different folks have different preferences!

As you said - everyone is entitled to their opinion. I read part of Jack's review and gave up. What he wrote was not a review but a diary - a fairly good diary but a diary. What I want is no more than 2 -3 pages with succinct details of what was good and what was bad. IMHO, Jack's "review" was a perfect example ofn what is wrong with almost all the reviews on Cruise Critic.

DON

If I take the time to write something, my wish is that it would be read. And as someone who likes the 'condensed version', perhaps if people wrote reviews and bolded the pertinent facts, but had the fluff for those who enjoy reading it, people like myself (and apparently others) would be more likely to read it.

When I click on a report that is one long paragraph, filled with ..... instead of sentences and tons of information that does not apply to the cruise, I don't read it. Which to me, is sad.

I actually enjoy the detailed reviews, however, the main info that I want out of a review is:

Condition of ship: are the carpets, drapes, upholstery, bedding in reasonably new condition?

Bathroom? How clean was yours? if there is a shower curtain is it clean, new and mold & mildew free?

Condition of balcony & was the glass clean.

Did the cabin attendant make sure your room was always tidy? did you always have fresh towels, was bedding changed daily, vacuuming done properly, water pitcher filled, and so on.

How was the food?

How was the spa?

How was the overall service?

Overall ambiance: was this a 'party' type cruise, lots of kids, family types, retired, etc.

Anything that made this cruise stand out good or bad?

As you said - everyone is entitled to their opinion. I read part of Jack's review and gave up. What he wrote was not a review but a diary - a fairly good diary but a diary. What I want is no more than 2 -3 pages with succinct details of what was good and what was bad. IMHO, Jack's "review" was a perfect example ofn what is wrong with almost all the reviews on Cruise Critic.

DON

You're right, we're all entitled to our opinions, and I for one love the long detailed reviews. For me it's the best thing about Cruise Critic instead of what's wrong with it.

Terri

Verbose cruise reviews, that include every detail from the moment that the person left their house until they returned home, remind me of a classic novel where the author was paid by the word and wanted to earn as much as possible :)

They may be a classic but I prefer the short succinct version :)

Most important to me is that the review be organized. Some people write a single large paragraph. This is difficult to read.

Column heading allow the reader to jump to areas of interst.

Also it is appreciated when people omit irrelivant details; I could care less about your flights on Jet Blue and the fact that you are celebrating a 16th wedding anniversary.

Lastly, comments such as: "I'm easy going I dont usualy get upset, etc add nothing for me the reader- no one writes "I am a jerk who gets pissed off about the little things", so why waste your time in the review characterizing yourself.:D

I agree with the list of "what I don't want to read about"....except in the case where the cruise line bears responsibility. Did they mess up your travel arrangements, did the cruise line put you in a substandard pre or post cruise hotel? Did they, like they did to my wheelchair-bound father-in-law "forget" to pick him and my sons up at the hotel in an accessible van and in the time frame promised?

In those respects, it is important to know about problems getting to the cruise. Had I known how unreliable Celebrity might be in making sure he got to the ship despite their confirmations to me the day of embarkation, and the rudeness and ineptitude of the customer service rep who I dealt with that day, I would have made sure to make private arrangements. Which is what I have done on their annual cruise since then.

I actually enjoy the detailed reviews, however, the main info that I want out of a review is:

Condition of ship: are the carpets, drapes, upholstery, bedding in reasonably new condition?

Bathroom? How clean was yours? if there is a shower curtain is it clean, new and mold & mildew free?

Condition of balcony & was the glass clean.

Did the cabin attendant make sure your room was always tidy? did you always have fresh towels, was bedding changed daily, vacuuming done properly, water pitcher filled, and so on.

How was the food?

How was the spa?

How was the overall service?

Overall ambiance: was this a 'party' type cruise, lots of kids, family types, retired, etc.

Anything that made this cruise stand out good or bad?

I agree with all of the above. I do like to see balanced reviews pointing out the good and bad rather than just one or the other. All cruises have good and bad points. I also agree that unless the travel to and from the ports was booked through the cruiseline and there was a problem that needs to be discussed, I don't really want to hear the many details. It only matters to me if the cruiseline itself is involved in either the efficient or inefficient handling of a problem that occurs.

I do like to see a range of ages and what cruiselines/ships you might be comparing this cruise to.

Most important to me is that the review be organized. Some people write a single large paragraph. This is difficult to read.

Column heading allow the reader to jump to areas of interst.

Also it is appreciated when people omit irrelivant details; I could care less about your flights on Jet Blue and the fact that you are celebrating a 16th wedding anniversary.

Lastly, comments such as: "I'm easy going I dont usualy get upset, etc add nothing for me the reader- no one writes "I am a jerk who gets pissed off about the little things", so why waste your time in the review characterizing yourself.:D

Another laugh out loud point of view. Love it. As Sky Sweet said earlier - these are not meant to be novels. It appears that some of the responses to the OP suggest they love these long drawn out Once Upon a Time stories. I only read the reviews of the ships I plan on going on and only care about the details of the ship, its food, service and other related highlights. But hey to each his/her own.

I wish more folks would please tell the NAMES of those wonderful waiters, assistants, cabin stewards, etc. they are raving about unless it's a privacy issue I'm not aware of. (Would they mind their names being posted on the Internet?)

Wow, I just read this thread and wonder if CC should have a Template Form for future reviewers to fill out?

While I, personally, couldn't care less about decor and artwork on the walls, plenty of others certainly do. So I scroll skimming for the things I care about.

It looks as though the people who put their hearts into sharing everything are at fault here and I only hope the person/people who put so much into those reviews don't read this thread!! Bet they must feel good! :(

And as for the reviewer singled out for sharing Jet Blue experiences, perhaps a future cruiser reading that review may think again about taking/not taking Jet Blue to their port? Same with pre/post-cruise hotel experiences. CC is a great resource for first-time cruisers who may also be 1st time fliers/travelers, too.

We can skip or scroll. Not like we bought the book and are $tuck with it.

People do this to share their thoughts, re-live their experiences with other cruisers who will relate. Odds are their co-workers & neighbors probably couldn't care less about their cruise vacation, so they come here. And if it includes their grandma and how old they are, well that was their vacation. I thank them all for taking the time and sharing it.

I appreciate the constructive critique in some posts here, but some are just too harsh, especially singling out specific review(ers.) What if those reviewers read this thread after all heart they put into sharing it?

I am very "wordy", so I was always reluctant to write a review fearing I'd bore people. Good thing. :)

Wow, I just read this thread and wonder if CC should have a Template Form for future reviewers to fill out?

While I, personally, couldn't care less about decor and artwork on the walls, plenty of others certainly do. So I scroll skimming for the things I care about.

It looks as though the people who put their hearts into sharing everything are at fault here and I only hope the person/people who put so much into those reviews don't read this thread!! Bet they must feel good! :(

And as for the reviewer singled out for sharing Jet Blue experiences, perhaps a future cruiser reading that review may think again about taking/not taking Jet Blue to their port? Same with pre/post-cruise hotel experiences. CC is a great resource for first-time cruisers who may also be 1st time fliers/travelers, too.

We can skip or scroll. Not like we bought the book and are $tuck with it.

People do this to share their thoughts, re-live their experiences with other cruisers who will relate. Odds are their co-workers & neighbors probably couldn't care less about their cruise vacation, so they come here. And if it includes their grandma and how old they are, well that was their vacation. I thank them all for taking the time and sharing it.

I appreciate the constructive critique in some posts here, but some are just too harsh, especially singling out specific review(ers.) What if those reviewers read this thread after all heart they put into sharing it?

I am very "wordy", so I was always reluctant to write a review fearing I'd bore people. Good thing. :)

So now we are having reviews on people's feedback on what they would like to see in a review. As to being wordy and feeling reluctant, someone else could have said" i want all the details, dont leave anything out, reviews that are to the point are useless to me". Then I suppose someone would have written here that now people who write short reviews will feel reluctant to write a review fearing that people will think that they did not say enough and it was a waste of their time. The OP asked a question, I responded and as far as I know 99% of the people on here could disagree and that is their right.

Archived