Return Flight from YVR 11:50 am too early?

B&J1

I am looking at a return flight from Vancouver on June 28 departing 11:50 am. We arrive In Vancouver at 7 am on Veendam. Will we have enough time to make this flight? Opinions/advice from all u smarties please. :)

Well I just called my travel agent and she suggest flights after noon however, disembarking begins at 7am and she said the airport is about 25 min from the port so she will check on getting us priority disembarkment and we should make it. We plan on booking transfers thru HAL to the airport....

B&J1..I would tell you to notify the crew that you need an early disembarkation due to an early flight. In most cases, they will be able to oblige and you will be 1 of the first off the ship so you should have no problem making your flight.

Lisa...what your TA failed to tell you is that in the event there is a delay in disembarking, such as a problem with customs or a passenger that has the wrong citizenship I.D., your disembarkation will be delayed. This happened to us and we were 2 hours late in getting off the ship. I STRONGLY reccommend that you reschedule your flight for AFTER 12pm on return to the port just to be on the safe side. The current schedule you have is cutting it REAL close in the event of a delayed disembarkation!!

We flew home out of Vancouver last summer (Princess did our air) and I think the flight was around 11:30. Vancouver had alot of rush-hour traffic, but since June 28 is a Sunday morning, it shouldn't be an issue. If you are off early I wouldn't think this flight time would be a problem. Good luck!

ok, thx for the imput, I think I'm going to book then, Cheapest flights I've seen in months YVR to Vegas on Air canada tot. of 113 pp. :) I will also plan on using the "US direct" if not to pricey & assuming it is offered next year.

thx again

I just came to this board to ask the exact same question, only the flight I need to take home is 10:30 and we are also on the Veendam with a 7am arrival to Vancouver but on Aug 9th.

Well I just called my travel agent and she suggest flights after noon however, disembarking begins at 7am and she said the airport is about 25 min from the port so she will check on getting us priority disembarkment and we should make it. We plan on booking transfers thru HAL to the airport....

Lisa, most likely HAL will NOT let you buy transfers to the pier with that early of a flight. They usually will only sell transfers for flights within their recommend time.

One thing to remember when flying out of YVR is that in addition to Canadian immigration/customs at the pier, you will also have to go through US immigration/customs at the airport. Make sure to plan for that.

The earliest I would recommend is 11:30 and only if you can participate in US Direct (depends on cruiseline and airline). Otherwise book a much later flight.

I can almost assure you that you will not make a 10:30 flight and 11:50 is really pushing the envelope. Although the ships get in at 7 am the first pax are not of the ship until about 8 am. You then have to clear Canadian customs, get a cab which can be a 60 min wait and then get to YVR which is a 35 min drive. You must also be at the airport a min. of 2 hrs before your flight as you must clear US customs and security at the airport. I think you can see the problem with the logisitics....avoid flights before noon.

The only way, you are going to make a prior noon Vancouver flight is with US Direct. You need to purchase this, and have the airline participating.

For clairfication, it is a WHOLE another ballgame flying out of Vancouver. I have been 2 hours in lines here, and NO way to predict what you are going to run into. Yes, you can get lucky and make tight timeframed flights, but you have just as much chance of not making it.

A reason those morning flights ARE cheaper is because, on average, cruise people can not make them. Be advised, that you can NOT count on just being given a "later" flight. Flights out of Vancouver are limited and just about always full loads. So you may be overnighting there on your own expense. I would suggest you look at all later flights available.

IF you do not get US Direct, the earliest I would recommend is 1pm. If you go with short timed booked flights, the cab lines at Canada Place, can have long lines. I recommend you haul yourself upstairs to the Pan Pacific, tip the doorman and get a quicker cab.

ok, thx for the imput, I think I'm going to book then, Cheapest flights I've seen in months YVR to Vegas on Air canada tot. of 113 pp. :) I will also plan on using the "US direct" if not to pricey & assuming it is offered next year.

thx again

US Direct depends on the airline and YOUR ship participating. Last year only SOME ships participated. It was very confusing to a lot of people. Princess XXX participated, Princess YYY DID NOT. And last year, no one knew if their ship participated until they got on the ship.

BAD way to end your cruise. As BudgetQueen points out, most flights out of YVR fly full. So the chances of getting a later flight if you miss yours could add up to a tremendous amount of extra expense (hotels, food, transport) AND the airlines COULD charge you change fees and additional air fare. It would be YOUR FAULT if you missed the plane and the airlines actually have NO responsibility or legal impetus to allow you to even use your ticket. Per the Conditions of Carriage, they could actually force you to buy a new ticket at walk up prices. VERY expensive.

Rethink flights out of Vancouver on cruise days. After 1:00PM is highly recommended and will certainly be cheaper than if you miss your flight. Food for thought!!!!

B&J1..I would tell you to notify the crew that you need an early disembarkation due to an early flight. In most cases, they will be able to oblige and you will be 1 of the first off the ship so you should have no problem making your flight.

QUOTE]

There is no "no problem making your flight" given. This timing does have risks and people, in the past have missed prior to 1pm flights out of Vancouver.

Many people, expect and want "priority disembarkment". No guarantee you are going to get it.

I also had the same question about what time to get a flight out of Vancouver. I checked with HA before we booked and they said our 11:45 AM flight should be OK. Last time we were on Princess and they did US Direct and it was quick. Hoping HA does the same thing on our cruise next year. I realize HA is not the expert. However, since we have to fly to Atlanta, anything later is an overnight flight or you have to stay a night and go the next day. So hopefully the worst thing that can happen is that we have to spend the night in Vancouver (keeping my fingers crossed that is truly the worst thing - I can think of others but don't want to go down that road)

I also had the same question about what time to get a flight out of Vancouver. I checked with HA before we booked and they said our 11:45 AM flight should be OK. Last time we were on Princess and they did US Direct and it was quick. Hoping HA does the same thing on our cruise next year. I realize HA is not the expert. However, since we have to fly to Atlanta, anything later is an overnight flight or you have to stay a night and go the next day. So hopefully the worst thing that can happen is that we have to spend the night in Vancouver (keeping my fingers crossed that is truly the worst thing - I can think of others but don't want to go down that road)

"Should be OK" SHOULD NOT give you a warm and fuzzy!!!

The WORST that can happen if you miss your flight: You ticket is canceled and you are at the mercy of the airline whether they will honor your original ticket or not. You are now subject to hotels, transport, food AND very possibly a new ticket. You can also be charged change fees AND any difference in airfare IF the airline allows you to use the value of your original ticket against a new ticket.

Yes, it can happen. I do this airline stuff daily for a living.

PLEASE rethink you plan. 11:45 on a cruise day is VERY iffy. You have NO guarantee if you can use US Direct. Please don't take the chance. The redeye will seem VERY cheap/a true bargain vs paying for hotels, transport, food for how many days??? You realistically could be stuck in Vancouver for a few days trying to get space available seating.

We left Vancouver at 2:30pm on last day of cruise. Must say we did not have a lot of time to waste. Of course we used ship transfer and did not deal with luggage until we reached air port. Like other posts have said you are at the mercy of the ship, customs, transportation and airport lines. I would not take a chance of trying to make a early deadline.

Any one know how soon HAL &/or Aircanada will know if they r participating in US direct....I checked out both of the web sites & sent an email to HAL but no info yet.

AS posted previously, LAST SUMMER, people did not know the availability of US Direct UNTIL they boarded the ship.

PLEASE don't count on it. It MAY or MAY not be available on your airline or your ship. BOOK A LATER FLIGHT!!! Do you have a passport???

These are the RULES from LAST SUMMER:

Port to Airport - disembarking in Vacouver

1. Travelling with a valid U.S. Passport and/or valid U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

2. Arriving on a cruise ship direct from a U.S. port.

3. Have a flight direct to the U.S.A, same day as disembarking the ship.

4. Have purchased onboard the ship or with cruise booking the Onboard Check-in program. (this was the BIGGIE last year)

5. In possession of cruise line bus transfer to Vancouver International Airport.

having been through yvr twice i would never book a flight out before 2:30pm. and that is when there are only 2 ships coming back to port. the more ships that day the longer the lines. security and customs is horrible there each time for me. i have learned to totally avoid yvr at all cost and go into seattle and bus it to vancouver. just my opinion.

AS posted previously, LAST SUMMER, people did not know the availability of US Direct UNTIL they boarded the ship.

PLEASE don't count on it. It MAY or MAY not be available on your airline or your ship. BOOK A LATER FLIGHT!!! Do you have a passport???

These are the RULES from LAST SUMMER:

Port to Airport - disembarking in Vacouver

1. Travelling with a valid U.S. Passport and/or valid U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

2. Arriving on a cruise ship direct from a U.S. port.

3. Have a flight direct to the U.S.A, same day as disembarking the ship.

4. Have purchased onboard the ship or with cruise booking the Onboard Check-in program. (this was the BIGGIE last year)

5. In possession of cruise line bus transfer to Vancouver International Airport.

I agree, although we haven't cruised Alaska yet we have cruised several times where something similar to US Direct was available once we were on the cruise. (No way to pre-purchase.) A couple of times it worked just fine, the last time the whole thing was scrapped and no one on the ship could use it. Please don't count on US Direct. Think of it as a bonus!

The only way, you are going to make a prior noon Vancouver flight is with US Direct. You need to purchase this, and have the airline participating.

For clairfication, it is a WHOLE another ballgame flying out of Vancouver. I have been 2 hours in lines here, and NO way to predict what you are going to run into. Yes, you can get lucky and make tight timeframed flights, but you have just as much chance of not making it.

A reason those morning flights ARE cheaper is because, on average, cruise people can not make them. Be advised, that you can NOT count on just being given a "later" flight. Flights out of Vancouver are limited and just about always full loads. So you may be overnighting there on your own expense. I would suggest you look at all later flights available.

IF you do not get US Direct, the earliest I would recommend is 1pm. If you go with short timed booked flights, the cab lines at Canada Place, can have long lines. I recommend you haul yourself upstairs to the Pan Pacific, tip the doorman and get a quicker cab.

So that's why it's over $200 a ticket to fly out in the afternoon instead of the morning to Newark! The only flight that comes close is a red eye on Cathay into JFK. I think a better plan for us will be taking our time to disembark, catching a few winks at the airport and getting up in the wee hours to catch the 6am flight on Sunday morning.

Once again, the advice in this forum is pricelss.

As I have posted on this thread, and this is only MY thoughts, I have been delayed disembarkation a few times in my past 7 cruises and feel better playing it on the safe side. Even though the usual disembarkation time is between 8am & 10am (customs or other problems pending) there have been times I haven't gotten off the ship till between 11am & 12pm! Taking into consideration you have to check-in at the airport 2-4 hours prior to the flight (dependant on where you going), this can cause stress for a flight leaving between 12 & 1. I usually make the flight time for between 2 and 4 just to be on the safe side! I would rather have to lounge around at the airport waiting on my flight then having to take the chance of missing it and worring when I may get the next flight home. Could put a damper on the whole trip if that happens. your in Port Orange huh??? I'm next door in Deltona :)

Ensure a good vacation, book your air wisely!!

So that's why it's over $200 a ticket to fly out in the afternoon instead of the morning to Newark! The only flight that comes close is a red eye on Cathay into JFK. I think a better plan for us will be taking our time to disembark, catching a few winks at the airport and getting up in the wee hours to catch the 6am flight on Sunday morning.

Once again, the advice in this forum is pricelss.

If you can get the red eye on Cathay for a reasonable price TAKE IT!! That is one of the best deals on a flight you can get.

If you can get the red eye on Cathay for a reasonable price TAKE IT!! That is one of the best deals on a flight you can get.

Amen!!!! One of the best airlines in the world. Food, blankies, headsets-all things missing on US airlines.

Archived