7 day Ruby vs. 10 Emerald

IUFAN

I agree that 10 days is always better. I should have put the question like this: Is the 10 day worth $1100 more than the 7?

Don't know where you are getting your pricing, but I see you can get an inside on the Ruby for $699 per person and you can get 10 days on the Emerald for $799 per person. Both prices are for mid-March. Works out to $100pp for an extra 3 days.

We always get a balcony room. The price is done through Princess website and it includes airfare, insurance, and tax.

7 day Ruby- 2800

10 day Emerald- 3900

the 7 day costs you 400 per day....the 10 day costs you 390 per day. Only you can decide if the extra 3 days are worth 1100 to you.

you can likely find a better price with an online travel agent, and the savings will pay for a day or so towards the 10 days.

We took a 10 nighter in March. It was 2 weeks prior to Easter and there were 550 kids onboard. So much for the theory that there are hardly any on 10 night voyages! :D

I don't think 550 kids would be a problem on Emerald/Ruby sized ship with 2 adult only pools.

We sailed twice on Caribbean and Ruby during school vacation. Caribbean was sold out full capacity 3600-3700 ppl .. we hardly saw any kids.

We did spend most of the time in Terrace pool... but no problem in any other place too. :)

These ships are perfectly suited to handle big crowds and the kids.

The March 20 sailing works very well for spring breakers this year as the dates fall such that the kids only miss school on the Friday before (and many families at our school that are travelling take off early) and the Monday after. Other sailings in March may not be offer such an incentive. We will have our two kids on that sailing and have done two other 10 day spring break cruises like this. FWIW, it is less likely that college kids will be on this sailing since the cost is so high.

I'd definitely go for it regardless of the students on board. Princess doesn't really attract the rowdy crowds, and in any event, by day 5 you will be so relieved to realize you are only half way through your vacation.

We did the Emerald 10 day last January and liked it so much we are doing the alternate 10 day itinerary this year. One thing we liked alot more about this than the 7 day itineray is the selection of islands visited-since the 10 day cruise goes so much further south you gto to ports that are less visited-most days there was only our ship and maybe one other (the only exception is St. Thomas, of course!).

Good luck, whatever you decide on! And I second the suggestion to try pricing it via an on-line agency-we have saved hundreds and the service was just fine (and I am a retired corporate travel manager!).

Carole in NC

Basically, you would be paying $550 per person for 3 days of cruising and all the food you can eat. I vote yea for 10. In June I had to decide between 7 days sailing from San Juan or 10 sailing from Ft. Lauderdale. I went for 10 days with the slightly additional cost.

We always sail during Easter Break somewhere! Grand Class ships tend to disperse kids really well and have never been bothered by any kids/teens after many cruises! Planning the 10 day Emerald in 2009. Looking forward to it after the Crown experience and 7 days. The 10 is what caught our attention.

Archived