NYC before & after the cruise

cruisenwithchris1

Hi Everyone,

Viva la Triumph!

I will be traveling with about 3-4 other couples next September (9-19-09) on the Triumph.

We plan on flying in 1 day early since we are coming from the West Coast and don't want to be rushed to get to the ship.

So first of all, I have no idea what terminal they use, so not to sure where to stay that first night. I am looking for a hotel near the ship, a place to crash and get ready to have fun for the next 7 days.

On our return, we plan on staying for 3-4 days to explore NYC. I would like to stay in Manhattan and have a chance at staying at the Roosevelt Hotel at a pretty good price. I have heard this Hotel is pretty well located? Have you had a good exprerience staying there, or would your recommend some place else?

I will have my mom and her friend traveling with us and their ability to walk much will be limited. I really don't want to try and get them on the subway system. I plan on taking tours by bus or traveling by taxi.

Can someone tell me which terminal the Triumph uses and a hotel nearby. I don't need a 5 star, but I do want to make sure we are in a pretty good area.

How about the Roosevelt, what is it located close to?

I am starting to get excited about making plans.

p.s. does anyone know if you can tour the stock exchance anymore? I did this about 35 years ago and would love to do it again.

Thanks for your help

Happy Cruisen

Chris

It looks like Triumph leaves from the west side in Manhattan, but you should call Carnival to confirm that. There are really no hotels in that area (west 50's and 12th avenue). Staying close to the terminal should NOT be your priority in NY. What airport are you flying into? For a one night pit stop pre-cruise, you should consider staying at the airport to get a better hotel rate. You might want to check out Priceline. That way you would only pay one cab fare to the docks. I have checked the Roosevelt hotel on Trip Adviser. The reviews are mixed, but it has a 3 star rating and sounds like an acceptable place. The location is fantastic and for the right price I would consider staying there. From 45th and Madison a cab ride to anywhere in midtown will be affordable. It is right at Grand Central Station in the middle of everything.

Unfortunately, NY is either a cab city (or limo if you can afford it) or a public transportation and walking city. However, the Roosevelt hotel will be located near the M1 bus service - all the way downtown on 5th Ave. and back up on Madison (http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/bus/mhtnsch.htm)

This would allow you to see a lot of the city if you want to go down to Wall St. on public transportation. There is also a hop on hop off bus which I don't know anything about. Perhaps someone else will respond.

138East is right. You DON'T want a hotel near the cruise terminal.....even if there is one!

However, I disagree about staying in an airport hotel...unless you're arriving late at night and going right to the ship in the morning.

I recommend staying in Manhattan, having some dinner in the city, walking around, and then the next morning have some NYC breakfast, explore the city a bit more and then head for the ship in the afternoon.

I can't comment on the Roosevelt in terms of the rooms or the service, however, I've been in the lobby which is nice and the location is very central. If you're not up to taking the subway's, there are lots of buses which stop nearby.

It's located near Grand Central Station and you're within walking distance of The Empire State Building, Macy's, Saks 5th Ave, St. Patricks Cathedral, Rockefeller Center and many other attractions.

Normally I would agree about staying in Manhattan, but the OP is just looking for a place to "crash" the first night. The airport hotels would satisfy that and would be a lot cheaper than a Manhattan hotel. An 8 am CA departure would put the OP in NY around 5 pm, the height of rush hour on a Friday night. We don't know which airport they are coming into. Both JFK and Newark could be a nightmare trying to get into Manhattan. Getting into the city on a Saturday morning should be a breeze by comparison.

Check out the Holiday Inn on 57th Street. It is in a good area, near Carnegie Hall, yet close to the cruise terminal. You won't have to worry about getting to the pier in the morning, it is a five minute cab ride, or you can even wheel your luggage if you are up to it. If you get up early enough, you will have time to walk around Manhattan and see some of the sights. jmo. I am not partial to airport hotels, and you still have the hassle of getting into Manhattan the next morning.

The NYSE stopped giving tours after September 11th I'm pretty sure but I would call the exchange and ask.

Hotel is fine in a Midtown location.

City bus is going to be the easiest transportation for your group. Cabs can be a pain to get and are non-existent if it is raining.

Book your hotels NOW. That is peak time for Manhattan and I think your dates are over fashion week.

I would recommend a slightly different solution for your pre-cruise lodging...

Right across the Hudson River in Weehawken NJ there is Sheraton Suites on the Hudson. From the airport (are you flying in to Newark?) take a cab to Weehawken - and then the next morning take the NY Waterways Ferry over to the Westside. Many people walk from the ferry terminal to the cruise ship terminal. As a PP said - NY is either a taxi, public trans or walking city. (NY Waterways may have a shuttle bus that will take you to the cruise ship. They have shuttles that bring commuters all over the city.)

Walking to the cruise ship terminal might be easier and faster than taking a cab as the line of cabs and car service cars backed up onto the Westside Highway (I used to work right next to the cruise ship terminal.)

There are some other hotels on the Jersey City Waterfront that will have the ferry service as well. If you really wanted to stay in the city - there are a few smaller hotels downtown that might be of interest.

Just some additional thoughts from a "Jersey Girl". Hope this helps.

Check out the Holiday Inn on 57th Street. It is in a good area, near Carnegie Hall, yet close to the cruise terminal. You won't have to worry about getting to the pier in the morning, it is a five minute cab ride, or you can even wheel your luggage if you are up to it.

To the OP,

Forewarned is forearmed,

From Carnegie Hall to the pier would be about 3/4 of a mile schlepping luggage though NYC streets.

Good luck with that one! :eek::D

To the OP,

Forewarned is forearmed,

From Carnegie Hall to the pier would be about 3/4 of a mile schlepping luggage though NYC streets.

Good luck with that one! :eek::D

So he has wheels. I would rather schlep than stay in downtown Newark. jmo

Thanks everyone for all your post. We are hoping to fly Jet Blue and I know they are limited on flights, so probably won't get there until late that day. I think they fly into JFK? Probably the airport would work best for us. Now where to stay at the airport?

With the bunch I am traveling with, I can guarantee you, we won't be walking to the terminal even if it was only 1/4 of a mile. I have 2 people who use walkers and with 10 days worth of luggage each, even if we all worked together, I don't see that happening. Now, if it was just my husband and myself, yep would do it in a heartbeat.

Thanks also for the tip of booking now, haven't really given it that much thought, not realizing what was going on there at that time.

That is like trying to book a room in Long Beach and not realizing it was the same weekend as the Grand Prix. Ugh! Hopefully, not as bad.

I will keep you posted on what we end up doing.

Any other helpful hints are appreciated for our trip!!

Once again, thanks everyone! It really helps to talk to those that live near the area in situations like this.

Happy Cruisen

Chris

Chris,

I travel with my 90 year old mother, who also has mobility issues. We finally stopped flying to San Juan and now cruise out of Bayonne. The most important thing is the safety of the two folks with mobility issues. Insist on wheelchairs in the airports even if your folks normally do not use them. You will get priority treatment and no one will get knocked over by inattentive people with rollerboards. A few dollars in tips will go a long way towards improving the quality of your journey.

Definitely stay at the airport. Manhattan is tempting, but getting your entourage there on a Friday night may have its problems. You can always check in early the next day and then go back off the ship for a couple of hours.

Call the cruiseline and have a chat about the mobility issues. Ask how the wheelchair assistance works for embarkation. When we travel RCL, I just tell one of the people at embarkation that I need a wheelchair and that is it. We always get extra special attention which really reduces the stress level for Mom. If your cruise has assigned tables for dinner, you might want to be sure that your table is located closer to the doors.

For the pre-cruise one night to crash, I agree with the people who suggested staying at a hotel by the airport. Every major hotel chain has a hotel in the area. It will be much easier to get to the cruise terminal on Saturday morning then get to Manhattan during Friday night rush hour. I would suggest setting up car service for your group to get to the terminal. This way if there is a line of taxis to the pier, you won't pay extra for the running meter.

The Roosevelt is a good hotel, very centrally located. It is in a bustling, crowded neighborhood during the daytime hours, a little quieter in the evenings. It will be easy to get around from that location. If two of the people in your group have walkers, use the city public buses. They are very accessible for handicapped (and/or people who use walkers) and you get to see the sites while on the bus.

Well, I took the tip and called the Roosevelt today. They are completley booked!! I tried both after the cruise and before and booked! What recession?? Can you believe that, for Sept 09 Booked!

So, you helpful people, now I need some places to possibly stay in Manhattan for a pre/post cruise for 3 nights or so. I know it will be expensive, but I want to make sure centrally located and safe area and of course the best price possible. What's it gonna cost me?

Happy Cruisen

Chris

Well, I took the tip and called the Roosevelt today. They are completley booked!! I tried both after the cruise and before and booked! What recession?? Can you believe that, for Sept 09 Booked!

So, you helpful people, now I need some places to possibly stay in Manhattan for a pre/post cruise for 3 nights or so. I know it will be expensive, but I want to make sure centrally located and safe area and of course the best price possible. What's it gonna cost me?

Happy Cruisen

Chris

Yes, there is a recession - big time - and you can feel it in NY. However, don't forget this is a MAJOR city....as in NY, London, Paris, Tokyo. It's the Big Time! Every country in the world has people that come here to do business and they gotta sleep somewhere! :D

Also realize that the euro/dollar ratio is still in the euro's favor and there are tons of European visitors here. So just because Mr & Mrs American Tourist might not be visiting as much, the rest of the world is. ;)

So, it doesn't surprise me at all that the Roosevelt is booked in Sept.

In terms of recommending another, I think what I would suggest is that you look on the internet and find some hotels that sound good and are in your desired price range, then come back on here and get opinions.

BTW, once you have your rooms booked, you can call the Roosevelt a week or two before your visit, and switch if rooms open at the Roosevelt. But at least you have something definite. I do this all the time when I travel and the hotel I want is booked at the time I'm making my plans. :)

How many people are staying in NY after the cruise? You could check out short term apartment rentals. I found this web site with just a little effort - http://www.manhattanlodgings.com/mw/mw_2bed.shtml. This shows 2 bedroom apartments on W 58th St. between 6th & 7th - a prime location. I've also heard Radio city Apartments mentioned and I'm sure there are many other options. You would get a lot more space for your money plus a place to make coffee and small meals if you like. The down side is that there would not be your typical hotel services. Your mobility challenged companions would have a more comfortable space to hang out in if they chose not to go on an outing.

I've stayed in apartments in Paris and London and felt that I got a tremendous value. Last year I paid $166 for a huge studio in the very heart of the Latin quarter - safe street - 12 x 18 room with Murphy kitchen, 6x7 bathroom, large closet, and a 2x12 balcony overlooking a street busy with pedestrians during the day and quiet at night.

Happy Cruisen

Chris

As I stated in my earlier post, it is Mercedes Benz Fashion Week. Hotels will be at a premium price and hard to find.

Peak season in NYC is from right after Labor Day until the day after New Years.

Book a cancellable backup you can live with and start shopping.

I do not know if this helps but we have stayed at the Sheraton Towers Hotel in August 2007 and 2008 pre-cruise. This is about 1.5 miles to the pier and also very close to Times Square and the Theater District.

It was very close to everything we wanted to see and there was no shortage of cabs in this area.

Good Luck with your search.

Archived