Mariner of the Seas Around the Horn of South America

glgolfer

Hello hornblowers. Here is an interesting tidbit from "events at sea" concerning Radiance of the Seas in Chile:

(Chile) reports that the ship arrived yesterday in Puerto Montt with a 12 meter long dead humpback whale entangled on the bow. The Navy undertook an inspection but was unable to determine whether the whale was alive when it was struck. The remains of the animal were removed by a fishing vessel and transported to the open sea. The two thousand passengers on the cruise did not know of the whale strike when it happened, but could see the whale on the bow when they tendered ashore from the ship.

My back wentout and Judy had to push me around in a wheelchair for 2 days. Better now so I can walk again.

haven't felt like playing computer til now/ Will try to keep up and post more.

Oh no! take care of that back...when your back hurts you feel like you hurt all over.

Hi Paul, I'm verry sorry about your back. That is always a miserable thing to have to suffer with. Please let Patrick & Daryl know that I will write soon. One more day at work, and then I am off for almost a week...my own President's day vacation. Thanks. ~Patti :)

San Jose was much too long a trip for us to take from here so we went to Sarchi a little community that is famous for building the painted carts and many other painted and artistic things. We thought it was worth a visit. I think we also visited a metal church.

San Jose was much too long a trip for us to take from here so we went to Sarchi a little community that is famous for building the painted carts and many other painted and artistic things. We thought it was worth a visit. I think we also visited a metal church.

We did the same thing at this port, and liked this port much more than Puerto Limon.

I'm walking again thanks to modern medicine, We're acxyually docked at Puntarenas, Costa Rica as there is a problem with depth at Caldera. It's actually a better place as it's close to downtown.

Judy's off on the private zipline tour.

Now that I feel better will try to catch up the next couple days.

Hard to believe it's almost over. Have to starty thinking about packing.

http://www.puntarenas.com/puntarenas/mapapuerto.html

Link to the map of Puntarenas, Costa Rica. You probably won’t need it.

Hope you feel well enough to cab it in Acapulco to the La Perla Restaurant and sit down and enjoy the cliff divers. Beats walking and standing. Have the cab driver get you there in enough time to get a seat and relax before the show.

I’m concerned about your back unless you know what it is.

Prior to the 1 PM public show with the cliff divers, La Perla is pretty much reserved for the ship tours. We just caught a cab about 11:30 from the pier and our cab driver made arrangements for great seats in the restaurant to watch the public show.

You don't get the folkloric dancers at the public show, but we also didn't have to fight the crowds. :)

I thought the best thing about Puntarenas...was the giant crocodiles in the the Torcoles river. : -)

Paul, so sorry to hear that you hurt your back, but glad to read that you are feeling better.

I am interested in what transpired when you all arrived at Puntarenas regarding the yellow fever vaccination. Did they ask for proof as you were disembarking the ship?

I can not believe that your 46 day adventure is nearing an end. It seems like yesterday that we were wishing you a Bon Voyage. Now we are saying Welcome Home. I do hope that you had a wonderful trip despite developing a cold and then back problems.

Nothing asked or said about a yellow fever shot. This despite the website and folks in the San Jose tourist bureau and the Miami Consulate and others being adament we had to have it to enter the country.

I still think it's a good idea to get it as it only takes one encounetr with the wrong mosquito to get YF. It's good for 10 years and you should get it while your immune system is strong.

Nothing asked or said about a yellow fever shot. This despite the website and folks in the San Jose tourist bureau and the Miami Consulate and others being adament we had to have it to enter the country.

I still think it's a good idea to get it as it only takes one encounetr with the wrong mosquito to get YF. It's good for 10 years and you should get it while your immune system is strong.

When my parents sailed around the horn, they were checked for all their shots and visa's at embarkation. Those who didn't have them were not let on. That was 2 years ago, but it might be up to the ship to make sure no one gets off who doesn't have them or didn't let anyone without them on to begin with.

Thursday 12 February 2009

I’ll try to catch up as best I remember and add stuff from Judy’s blog.

One fun thing the 2nd leg was the day we ate at Johnny Rockets. Our waiter’s name was Herpaul.. I pointed at Judy and said I was herpaul. We had a lot of fun with that for a couple minutes/

Judy’s voice still comes and goes and she can’t get rid of a cough. Of course, many folks onboard are coughing and/or having a problem talking.

I’m still coughing and wheezing, but at least I can walk again even if it is slowly.

Medical report over.

The weather has been overall excellent with mostly sunny, clear skies and calm seas.

This is going to jump around as I remember things.

3rd leg slot tournament was the worst of the three. We all put in $20 and lost almost half of it. Got back $10 and some change.

It’s 0130 on Friday the 13th.

Sea day. 1000 slot tournament where everyone got to bang on the machine for 5 minutes.

Party at Bobbie and Ricks at 1630.

Liars Club at 2230 with Abe, Captain Johnny and Simeon. The words were:

Whisterpoop – A slap up side the head.

S***tah – A small thorny tree or bush.

Kaggerkak – An albino cockroach, (might not be spelled right).

Cockermouth – A small town in the UK.

Today, Valentines Day with dinner at Chops. The sea day before Acapulco.

Archived