To Dress up or not to drees up

prico

Greetings to all, and Happy new years in advance.

Well so far I read a lot about what can I wear or “what can I get away with” in the dining room on formal nights or any nights for that matter. This will be my 8th cruise and I want to get your reaction to my post.

I wear a suit every night for dinner and to party in the various bars on the ship in the evenings. My wife dress up too.

The majority of you have been on many cruises so don’t worry about hurting my feelings because I respect your opinion and will consider it.

Do you consider wearing nice clothes (suits) every night a overkill or show off. You seen people like me on the main dining rooms and you must have formulated comments or opinions. Let me have them.

The wife and I will still dress up but your opinion could make adifference.

Thank, and once again, Happy 2009 and happy cruising.

Frank

I think it's great that you dress for dinner! I can't imagine anyone thinking it is overkill or showing off. We consider every dinner on a cruise a "date night" and always dress to look good for each other. Enjoy your New Year!!

I only dress formally on formal nights and follow the ships dress code the other evenings. When I do see a couple dressed up, I wonder if they are celebrating a special event or maybe they are use to dressing for dinner. I will say that I enjoy watching a couple dressed up who is dancing as I think it adds to the overall elegance of the dancing.

I'm sure that in your previous eight cruises, you have seen people dressed to the nines and others that don't. I'm there to enjoy myself and get the most of my vacation which is what all cruisers want...IMHO.

Happy New Year to you, too!

Carole

I react much more kindly to people who dress "up" than "dress down", especially for dinner. While my husband appreciated our last cruise where he did not take a suit coat (much less a tuxedo!), we did dress in nice clothes, were fully clothed (no tank tops, shorts, flip-flops, ever, even during the day), and the one time I was in a t-shirt at lunch (I was in a workshop and didn't take time to go back to my cabin to change) I was uncomfortable.

So go ahead and dress up, if you're comfortable!

We enjoy dressing for dinner on a cruise though on our next one on NCL we won't, as we'll be staying on in Spain for several weeks and don't want to drag along dress clothes.

I personally think that a suit lends a bit of class, but I suspect that's related to our age more than current fashions.

There was an article in our local paper that designer silk and wool pyjamas for men are all the rage on the fashion runways and will be the 'in' work wardrobe come spring, so pyjamas as cruise wear won't be far behind I'm sure.

Whether or not someone is overdressed or underdressed, I say to each their own. Personally it doesn't effect me one way or the other. If you're comfortable, continue to do what makes you comfortable. Do you wear a suit for work everyday? If so, you're probably comfortable in a suit. People that are not accustomed to that - not so comfortable. And who wants to spend their vacation uncomfortable? By the way, it also doesn't offend me to see jeans in the dining room either. We do dress for formal night though, it's nice to get dressed up and take nice pictures since we don't do it very often at home.

I don't think it's overkill at all...as a matter of fact, it is pretty close to what I do: first and last nights, dress shirt or sweater with nice khakis or dress slacks (with or without a sports coat, depending on the line), no tie; black tie on formal nights; jacket and tie (suit or sports coat and slacks) on every other night. We always dine late seating, or in the case of single seating, after 8:00 p.m. so there is plenty of time for showering and dressing at leisure if we go ashore. I always over pack, but I have a 'better too much than too little' philosophy when on board.

I think people should dress appropriately and comfortably. If you enjoy dressing up I think that's great. At the risk of being flamed, I prefer to see someone dressed up than someone dressed down, i.e. t-shirt, jeans shorts. Wear what makes you feel good.

Have a great cruise.:)

I agree. While I don't really pay much attention to what people wear, I will notice if a person is dressed rather shabby, especially if it stands out, like jeans on formal nights.

On our last cruise we were in Chops and a group of 5 men in their late 20's maybe early 30's came in dressed in old faded Tshirts and ripped jeans, I was surprised they were allowed in dressed like that. We were told the dress code was semi-formal for the specialty restaurants so we were in suits and dresses.

I personally wouldn't wear ripped jeans to the grocery store, but to each his own, apparantly it's the style.

So wear what makes you comfortable and I find nothing wrong with wearing a nice suit to dinner every night. I see men wear suits to dinner at local restaurants, it's what they are used to and what is comfortable to them.

First, I do not care what you wear but you asked :)

If you are coming to dinner in a suit and tie every night I will be wondering why however I will never notice that unless we are sitting at the same table for dinner. I have enough problems remembering what I wore to dinner two nights ago to remember that you wore a suit and tie every night. ;) Any opinion I might form would be based on conversations, were you prompt or late every night, were you demanding, etc. That says far more about you than whether or not you wear a suit.

I would not think you were a snob, show off, or trying to make a statement if you were in a suit every night. Now if you wore a tux every night I might notice that even if we were at different tables ;)

Happy dining!!!

Greetings to all, and Happy new years in advance.

Well so far I read a lot about what can I wear or “what can I get away with” in the dining room on formal nights or any nights for that matter. This will be my 8th cruise and I want to get your reaction to my post.

I wear a suit every night for dinner and to party in the various bars on the ship in the evenings. My wife dress up too.

The majority of you have been on many cruises so don’t worry about hurting my feelings because I respect your opinion and will consider it.

Do you consider wearing nice clothes (suits) every night a overkill or show off. You seen people like me on the main dining rooms and you must have formulated comments or opinions. Let me have them.

The wife and I will still dress up but your opinion could make adifference.

Thank, and once again, Happy 2009 and happy cruising.

Frank

If you are comfortable wearing a suit every night, then go ahead and do it. There may even be a few other pax similarly dressed. I am from the informal side but then I live in the west part of the USA where suits are not that common. People will judge you not so much about what you are wearing but the way you conduct yourself. If you are polite and considerate of others, you will be readily accepted.

Incidentally you will see all modes of dress from suits to kilts to military uniforms to western wear and more. We are all inhabitants of our spaceship earth with many different cultures and modes of dress. We need to accept the different cultures, mode of dress and languages.

Go on the cruise, wear your suit proudly and have a great time. Remember to be tolerant of others.

First I like to thank you all for sharing your opinion. I will be dressed up every night. (NO tux). As 2008cruisebegginer mentioned, I do wear a suit everyday to work and feel comfortable wearing them during evenings. My wife too gets dressed up during evenings and we always receive positive comments but a lot has to do with our personality. We are extremely friendly people. Once again thank you all.

P.S. Anyone on Vision Of the Seas on 8 Feb 09 out of Santo Domingo?

Frank

I dress every night to suit me.. get lots of compliments. I am retired so this is a nice change from capris, and regular stuff. I dont care what others wear..just dont like hairy armpits, and ball caps to be seen from my chair...My exchange student is frim Hennef/Heneff (?) Love that lil guy, who is now 267 yrs old.. Saw him this summer in London..where domu live in Germany?..lucky

Archived