passport question - stamps??

ViolaSwamp

This will be our first cruise on which we take passports.

Okay so I'm pretty sure we will want to leave our passports in our cabin safe when we go ashore.

BUT I want the cool stamps from the islands. :cool: Is it possible to get the passport books stamped when we get off the ship and then run them back to the cabin? Is that really doable? Do they even have stamps for these islands (USVI, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Turks & Caicos)?

I feel like a tool for even asking this - I should know the answer I think... :rolleyes: :o

Well, first of all, none of the stamps in my passport are remotely "cool". Usually just a box or an oval with a date in them, so I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to get them.

I wouldn't spend my island time trying to find some immigration official to put his mark in my passport.

BTW, the USVI and Puerto Rico are US immigration....

you can get stamps. When the ship is "cleared" a immigration official comes aboard. You can on some ships take your passport to the front desk and ask them to get it stamped at each stop by that official. You will need to surrender your passport to them to get it done. Not every place will stamp it. Its difficult to get it stamped yourself as there is no immigration official off the ship waiting for you as the ship has been cleared.

Some passports stamps are cool for what they say.....

Depending on how much you travel, those "cool" stamps can be a curse. My passport expires in 2012, but I am close to out of space for the required stamps for air/land entry to many countries. Last year I flew to Glasgow via Iceland - changing planes. I got stamped into and out of Iceland on the way over. On the way back, I got stamped in and out again -- then - because of mechanical difficulties, we had to get off the plane again, so I got stamped in and out again -- a total of six spots - one and a half pages blown through for two brief airport layovers. Getting additional pages added is almost as much hassle as getting a new passport - but it will soon be necessary.

Depending on how much you travel, those "cool" stamps can be a curse.

I also think some countries give you extra "scrutiny" on entry if your passport has stamps of certain other countries they don't get along with.

Depending on how much you travel, those "cool" stamps can be a curse. My passport expires in 2012, but I am close to out of space for the required stamps for air/land entry to many countries. Last year I flew to Glasgow via Iceland - changing planes. I got stamped into and out of Iceland on the way over. On the way back, I got stamped in and out again -- then - because of mechanical difficulties, we had to get off the plane again, so I got stamped in and out again -- a total of six spots - one and a half pages blown through for two brief airport layovers. Getting additional pages added is almost as much hassle as getting a new passport - but it will soon be necessary.

you can get extra pages for free. Just fill out the form for added pages and send it in. It comes back in about a week....

I also think some countries give you extra "scrutiny" on entry if your passport has stamps of certain other countries they don't get along with.

This definitely happened to me at CDG airport recently where the examiner took exception to my Egyptian visa. I got the third degree on why I had been there!

Also, I understand that most Middle Eastern countries will not let you enter if you have an Israel stamp in your passport.

we did a similar trip last year and ended up with a couple stamps, because we did Grand turk after FLL and then on to san juan..where we were stamped as we went through the immigration line on the ship. and we got another stamp somewhere else...but perhaps they were stamp happy with us cause we were canadians?...Jamaica's stamp is the shape of their island...but yes my dd liked getting the stamps.

When I went to Fanning Island a few years ago (part of my Hawaiian Island cruise), they would stamp our passports for (if I remember correctly) $5. When departing the ship I had forgotten my passport in my cabin. For a brief moment or two I thought about going back to the ship to get my passport - then go back to the island - then go back to the ship. I decided it wasn't worth it.

The stamps can really be a pain in the behind. If your cruise goes to places like Egypt or Libya, and you already have a stamp from Israel, you have to go and apply for a new passport because there are a number of countries that won't allow anyone in with an Israeli stamp inside their passport.

Government issued photo ID that exactly matches the name on the plane ticket.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

The stamps can really be a pain in the behind. If your cruise goes to places like Egypt or Libya, and you already have a stamp from Israel, you have to go and apply for a new passport because there are a number of countries that won't allow anyone in with an Israeli stamp inside their passport.

Egypt allows people in with Israel stamps and passports. Right now only Libya Iran and North Korea have a problem with Israel stamps. In fact there is a driect border crossing between Israel and Egypt.

, as Islands usually dont do that, just on re-entry to USA

You can get your passport stamped anywhere. My sister in law did this on our cruise on the 14th. She had to find the location of the immigration office, wait until it was open, then get it stamped....which she did....each island:eek:..bless her little heart.

Immigration offices were near the port in each area, thank goodness...but we found many were closed for lunch or break or some such. She wouldn't be detered however and managed to get a stamp on each island.

Is there a website that list immigration offices around the world? How do you find them at the port?

When you get off the ship, ask the security or other officials that will be around the area ashore. They'll direct you.

Egypt allows people in with Israel stamps and passports. Right now only Libya Iran and North Korea have a problem with Israel stamps. In fact there is a driect border crossing between Israel and Egypt.

The Project Visa website states that having a passport stamp from Israel could cause problems when entering the following countries: Algeria, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Sudan, UAE, and Yemen.

http://projectvisa.com/countryinfo.asp?countrycode=il

Am I correct in the fact that I should not take my passport with me to shore? Should I take a copy of it? I had a friend that recently was injured on a dune buggy excursion and the ship left with her passport. I'm trying to figure out what to take with me on shore when we go to The Baths in Tortola; I'm assuming $ and some sunscreen but if I take a towel is there a place to put it and will it be a pain as I hike? THANKS. Just discovered this website and find it very helpful. Am a fan of Trip Advisor and always use it before going on a trip so this cruise website is great.

When you get off the ship' date=' ask the security or other officials that will be around the area ashore. They'll direct you.[/quote']

Grand Cayman's is labeled; Nassau is the building past the terminal (to the left, facing the street), _before_ you enter the street. You'll need someone to let you through the gate.

Jamaica is an unlabeled room in the main building; just ask. Tortola is a five-minute walk (what isn't?), past the markets to the left, kinda underneath/in back of the tourism office.

Those places are where I've gotten my US passport stamped. Anywhere else, just ask Guest Relations on board (the worst they can do is say no), or just email the tourism office in the country where you're going and ask where Immigration is in port.

This will be our first cruise on which we take passports.

Okay so I'm pretty sure we will want to leave our passports in our cabin safe when we go ashore.

BUT I want the cool stamps from the islands. :cool: Is it possible to get the passport books stamped when we get off the ship and then run them back to the cabin? Is that really doable? Do they even have stamps for these islands (USVI, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Turks & Caicos)?

I feel like a tool for even asking this - I should know the answer I think... :rolleyes: :o

Oh, Grand Cayman's is cool indeed:

Cayman Islands 2008

If you can't view it, just go to flickr [dot] com and do a people search for alertfive - then look at (my) passport stamps.

Archived