Capt Dag's Homecoming Voyage 2009

vaitape

Sounds like a great plan, Vaitape! Any idea how you'll spend your week after Copenhagen? We have managed to have hotels store our luggage, and also stored it in airport left luggage facilities--dumping the cruisewear is always a good idea. Be prepared for some pressing when you get on board.

Someone said that the dress code was enforced throughout the ship--La Veranda is actually always CCC. But don't count on being able to go to a lounge before or after dinner; the dress code will probably be in force there. I hate formal nights, wish they would be permanently gone.

I would love to do this itinerary, having spent time in Norway on land, but can't justify the high per diem, and the timing. One of these days, we're going to do the Hurtigruten, which is not luxury, but is a cost-effective alternative to see this wonderfully amazing part of the world, and it runs all year.

--La Veranda is actually always CCC.

I am afraid that I, too, believed that the dress code applied to all public areas, including La Veranda. I have searched through my old "Passages" but cannot find anything to confirm or deny this. Can you point me to a ruling? I accept that you have cruised since I was last on Regent and thus you must be more aware of what is acceptable than I am.

Hey there Wendy......how are you faring these days? Missing my Mimosas, I'll tell you!!

We learned yesterday that there are 2 informal and 2 formal nights on this cruise. That puts us in our room for the 2 formal nights I guess because no way will my husband go out and purchase a black suit nor rent a tux for this cruise. We are very casual people and lead a low profile, laid back life-style that does not require anything more than a sport coat for the receptions, parties, weddings and funerals that we attend. Plus I think it is pretty @#$% silly to lug all that gear for 2 nights worth of wear.... I know this subject has been discussed ad infinitem (and ad nauseum for some) so will leave it other than to say that there should be at least one venue for eating\drinking open for folks like us on the formal nights. Surely hope we will be allowed out on deck at least!

We are actually going earlier rather than staying later Wendy and will do some traveling in Poland, where my husband's family originated. We're sort of doing a "Roots" thing......as in discovering where we came from.

Wow, that sounds great. We spent time in Lithuania a few years back and it was awesome, I'd love to see Poland.

Yes, the dress code thing is a pain. I may have told this story before, but when we first went on a cruise with a formal night, David's beloved sports jacket had grown too small for him (our son wears it now.) I told him that he needed a sports jacket and a dark suit; he said "choose one". I said, get a suit. He went to our local mass market suit store (Moore's, here in Canada), and was sold a dark blue suit the jacket of which can be worn as a blazer, plus a pair of grey pants. So, I pack, one jacket, two pairs of dress pants. That's it. Shoes, no problem, David only owns one pair. I let him take jeans if the destination isn't too tropical for daywear, otherwise the docker-types.

We'll have at least 2 formal nights this December if we go on Voyager. Ugh. But we'll survive.

And yes, I'm missing everything about our recent adventure, although much of it is still with me, just locked inside.

Wendy, Very good idea with the dark suit and 2 pairs of slacks.

I think we'll probably enjoy a quiet night or 2 in our room with a movie or go out on deck to enjoy the long days so we'll make do. I forgot to ask exactly when the formal nights were though.

I told him that he needed a sports jacket and a dark suit; he said "choose one". I said, get a suit. He went to our local mass market suit store (Moore's, here in Canada), and was sold a dark blue suit the jacket of which can be worn as a blazer, plus a pair of grey pants. So, I pack, one jacket, two pairs of dress pants. That's it. Shoes, no problem, David only owns one pair. I let him take jeans if the destination isn't too tropical for daywear, otherwise the docker-types.

Matriarchal society or what?:)

According to my "pre-new computer sytem" itinerary which I printed off, the first formal night is Jun 27 (2nd night of cruise). This is an at sea day. The other one I can't see as the lower part of the page didn't print well, but I know there are 2.

Wendy, your husband only has one pair of shoes?? I know some peple aren't into fashion, but that's going a bit far. Surely you mean only 1 pair of dress shoes.

No, I mean one pair of shoes. He has winter boots, and summer sandals, that's it. He takes good care of his shoes, and buys good ones.

Orpington, uxorial, not matriarchal. He allows me to pack for him on cruises, everything but his personal care items and prescriptions. It all started when I told him when we were going on the PG in 2000 that he could not wear jeans--I got him khakis from Land's End and we went from there. Otherwise, he lives in jeans, and his single pair of shoes.

He allows me to pack for him on cruises, everything but his personal care items and prescriptions. It all started when I told him when we were going on the PG in 2000 that he could not wear jeans--I got him khakis from Land's End and we went from there. Otherwise, he lives in jeans, and his single pair of shoes.

Well, at least it is easy to pack! And he doesn't take up a lot of extra space with packing shoes. My son's size 14 1/2 shoes take up exactly 1/2 of a roll aboard suitcase, but you can stuff huge amounts of socks, underwear, etc, in them.

Ok folks......I've got another question........ Anyone know what disembarkation day routine is? We will be returning to the US after the cruise, having done some traveling before embarking. We will purchase air through Regent and will pay deviation. Will we have transport to the Copenhagen airport?

If you're flying with Regent air, and you're going straight home in Copenhagen, you should have transfers to the airport included. (I say "should", because no knowing what the "new normal" will be with Regent.)

I agree. If you have booked Regent air then it is their resposibility to get you to the airport in time for your flight. They have done with me on three occasions and I cannot imagine thr "new" Regent will be any different.

Archived