Tablemates at Dinner

ChrisRobinson

DW and I are on the Valor in Feb. First seating for dinner.

We liked the "open dining" option on other cruiselines.

We typically meet others during the day and like to arrange to meet for dinner later that evening.

If my research is correct, we are "assigned" a table the first night on CCL.

While the adventure of eating around the same table and same people each night can be appealing, what if we decide we want our own table or to eat with friends.

Obviously, we could eat at the buffet or $pecialty places each night as an option.

We are new to CCL. First timers. We like dressing up a bit for dinner, nice wine and fun conversation. How flexible is the Maitre De (sp) with tables and seating???

If the ship is full, and they usually are, all seats in the dining room will be assigned. If you see empty seats, it is because those folk chose to eat elsewhere, for personal reasons...maybe they wanted late seating and were assigned early. The waiters will know if there are to be empty seats at their tables. If you meet people and want to dine with them, it can't be done unless there are unassigned seats at one of your tables. If you do decide to dine elsewhere, it is common courtesy to inform your table mates or wait staff, as usually they wait until all diners are seated before taking orders, and to just not show up delays this for the others. EM

No, you can't change tables at will. Sorry, but the arrangements are made prior to your boarding the ship.

You CAN see the Maitre d' about changing, but it might be a little iffy as to getting a table for four, in case you meet those new friends. It would entail changing both your assignment as well as the other folks. Kinda complicated...but you can always ask once on board.

Oh, and you have only requested first seating. You won't know for sure until you see your Sail & Sign card just prior to boarding.:)

Just go see the maitre'd once you board the ship, he will be in one of the dining rooms. They will make every effort to accomodate your wishes. We had him change our dining times and also asked for a table for 2, which he also arranged. They are great about trying to make you happy!:)

We are new to CCL. First timers. We like dressing up a bit for dinner, nice wine and fun conversation. How flexible is the Maitre De (sp) with tables and seating???

At least on our last Carnival Cruise, the Maitre De put a lot of effort into accommodating seating changes. When booking, we asked for early and were assigned late and had it changed. When asked, I was told it was very unlikely they'd be able to accommodate us, but we actually ended up at a private table next to the window. It wasn't the privacy or window we were looking for, just the earlier dinner seating.

They are in the business of making customers happy and will usually try to do that.

I think what you are asking is if you can perhaps have dinner with one couple one night and then perhaps dinner with another couple a few nights later? I know what you mean... sometimes you meet people during the course of the cruise and want to have dinner with them... not really going to happen on Carnival unless you go on one of the ships with flexible dining... you can go to the Supper Club, that is your best option, unless you opt for the buffet... or you can hope some of your tablemates don't show up. A table for 2 really isn't going to help you in your situation if you want to dine with others... I would go with whatever seating you have, and if you do meet others, just try to get ressies in the supper club and have a nice dinner with friends... good luck.

Check with your TA or Carnival directly. They now offer open dining on some of their ships. We are on the Legend in February and have the open dining option.

Probably too late to cancel for a February cruise without being penalized... depending on the date.

We've asked to move only once and it was on a Carnival cruise. I don't mean to be rude, but the people that were sat with us were literally disgusting and there is no way I could take a week of it. I felt bad, but there was no way. I don't want to go into describing the situation. We were moved to a table for 2 the next night. I prefer sitting with a group over a table for 2, but this would have just about ruined our dinners, which are an important part of the cruise.

Did I read somewhere that they were no longer putting the table numbers on the tables until dinner? If this is true how will you know if you got the seating you wanted before hand so you will know if you need to go see the Mat're D?

We usually ask for a table for 2 but never get it, so we always have to go see "the guy".....who has always changed it for us.

Can anyone tell me if this is true?

Did I read somewhere that they were no longer putting the table numbers on the tables until dinner?

I haven't seen nor heard of anything like that. May be something new?

If this is true how will you know if you got the seating you wanted before hand so you will know if you need to go see the Mat're D?

I never go to the dining room and check out my seating before the first night's dinner. I just go as I'm suppose to, and it's usually fine.

I've had to ask for a change only once, due to the fact that my tablemates the first evening were a family of absolute slobs and ruined my appetite.:rolleyes:

We ALWAYS check out our table assignment prior to dinner the first night..reason being..we do not fit comfortably in a booth...hate that constant shoulder to shoulder action..Another reason is I find the tables in the booths are always high or the seats are well worn and ya sink more...whichever way you want to look at it :D..at any rate..the 1/2 chairs, 1/2 booth combo works okay if we get there early enough to sit in the chairs..luckily our last cruise our tablemates preferred the comfy seats and we preferred the chairs so it worked out well....cruise before was a 4 person booth so we asked to be changed...we were assigned to a 2 person table under the stairs....:eek: ..but hey we asked to be changed so we dealt with it..actually was fun as we were right by the entrance and lots of people said good evening to us as they walked by...maybe they felt sorry for the "old couple" stuck under the staircase...who knows..ya make the best of a situation and go on...it wasn't like we had to eat at that location for the rest of our lives...;)

We went as soon as we got on board and switched from a table of 8 to a table for 2...One night we decided to walk by our old table to see who was sitting there.....from the looks of things the best thing we ever did on that cruise was switch our table!:D

Sitting arrangement on Carnival are really "Luck of the draw" although they will usually assign you early or late seating if you request it before hand. Remember that you can always request a change should you not like the table you have been assigned to. That, however, usually takes one day to arrange.

Personally, I like the table of eight because you are bound to find some one you like. The problem is that those tables are so large that it is difficult at times to hear every one especially if it is not circular.

I have to say that we have had more nice people than not so nice people at the dinner table. We have been on 11 cruises and when I go over the pictures, I can still remember many of the folks we dined with.

One story I remember was when we cruised with a couple from Germany and some one at the table asked them if there were any remains of concentration camps near their home. Yes, you are right, that was rather awkard! With 3,600 people aboard, that can happen. Fortunately, every one ignored the question and we went on to another topic.

After 4 cruises with Carnival I have only changed tables one time. We were at the end of the line for our seating time on the first night. When we arrived at our assigned table, there were two empty seats out of 10. One was on one side near the window and the other was on the other side and opposite end. I think most of the 8 people already seated knew each other and were engaged in conversation. We introduced ourselves and politely asked if we could rearange the seating so that we may sit next to or accross from each other. The 8 people seated just started to look at each other but nobody moved after a few seconds, I decided We didn't want to sit with these people and walked away. The Matr'd was very understanding and found us table with nice people.

With open seating you can choose your tablemates, but you sit at a different table every night and ahve a different server every night.

You will love the fact that you will walk into the Dining Room every night and sit at the same table and have the same server. The server will learn things you like and give you better service, and also know you by name.

As others mentioned, you can go by the Dining room the first day and request a change, but you will have to keep the same table for your entire trip.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Thanks for all the responses and input.

I, myself, am up for the 'adventure' of meeting assigned tablemates, DW isn't so much. I am a 'glass half full' guy and think our tablemates will be fine. If they are not, they will be fodder for stories about our travels for years to come.

NevadaHiRoller hit it on the head. If we are with rude, disgusting, etc... poeple, it'll ruin an important aspect of our cruise.

I think we'll stick with our assigned table first and see who all is there... if DW dig in her heels and tries to make my life difficult, we will ask to be moved/shuffled.

Again, thanks for the input. FWIW, one of the real advantages with open dining is being able to invite new friends, who are like minded and friendly, to dinner.

Archived