Royal Caribbean vs P & O

:) We are planning our honeymoon for next August, and have found two suitable cruises (I don't like to fly so we need to sail out of Southampton, and our wedding is on 14 Aug, so departure needs to be within a day or two of that). One is with Royal Caribbean, and the other with P & O. Both itineraries are quite similar, and the costs are also quite similar.

We have never cruised before and would really appreciate some guidance or advice from people who have to help us to decide which one to book!

We are both in our mid/late twenties, and are looking at either a superior balcony stateroom or a junior suite. Any thoughts on which we should go for would be much appreciated!

Thanks x

I've never sailed P&O, but you won't go wrong if you decide on RCI! A JS on RCI is a lovely way to cruise--lots of room in the cabin, and you get a bathtub/shower rather than just a phonebooth sized shower. A walkin closet and plenty of space for 2.

RCI has lots to do (or nothing, if that's what you're looking for!) The ships are well-maintained and quite beautiful!

Whichever you pick, you're sure to have a wonderful time! Cruising is great!

We have done 30+ cruises, mostly with RCI, the ships are all lovely and well maintained. We sailed on Independence from Southampton, a beautiful ship with so much to do onboard. Though we have not sailed on a P&O ship we have sailed with other UK companies ( Thompson and First Choice ) with predominantly British onboard and much prefer to sail with a mix of American/Canadian/ European guests as it is more interesting learning about other cultures from your fellow guests. Having said all that, our cruise on Independence left on the 27th August , was probably 99% British and over run with about 1200 kids !!! if you are looking at the school holidays it will be the same for you. Cruising for families is perfect when there is no flying invloved, no luggage restrictions, no hanging around at the aiport. The P&O ship, if it is Ventura ,will be the same as that has Noddy onboard !!!

Are you sure you can't manage a short flight to Barcelona and pick up a ship there? :)

We've done 11 cruises (and 3 more booked) with Royal Caribbean, 4 on Princess, as well Carnival, Costa, Star Cruises, Airtours,Thomson and one on P&O. Guess which line we prefer?;)

Although we're in our 50's, we've had many young honeymooners at our dinner tables - mostly American travelling to Europe for the first time. We much prefer travelling with people from other countries - it makes for interesting conversation. We found too many people on the P&O ship were dyed in the wool P&O fans, who'd never consider another line - and CERTAINLY not an American line full of loud Americans (a total fallacy - we've never found them to be any louder than Brits:))

We prefer the food on Royal Caribbean as there's too much "ethnic" food for our taste on P&O. One lunchtime buffet we had a choice of Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Italian, Japanese, Thai and ONE English dish

One thing we did appreciate on P&O was the kettle and tea/coffee tray in the cabin

Most other things were equal - staff, cabins, entertainment, shore trips

I wouldn't say we'd never go on a P&O ship again, but if cost and itinerary were similar, we'd choose Royal Caribbean. If you ask this question on the P&O board, you'll probably get opposite answers:)

I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever ship you choose

One thing we did appreciate on P&O was the kettle and tea/coffee tray in the cabin

Suekay, in case you aren't aware, Independence has kettles in all her cabins and reports are that Brilliance now does too. It sounds like RCCL is finally starting to listen to it's guests from your side of the pond, at least in regards to a few ships.

Hi there -

I live in Sydney, and it's fair to say P&O have had their fair share of bad PR over the last 2-3 years with the Brimble case. I would honestly have a look at the ships you will be sailing on, and make part of your decision based on the age of the ship and when each was last refurbished. The one thing P&O was notorious for until a few years ago was giving Australian passengers some very old ships that were unreliable. That is improving, but a lot of the P&O vessels now in Australian waters are older Carnival vessels.

Hope this helps! PS - We are doing Rhapsody of the Seas 17 night ex Sydney October '09, if that helps answer the question about my preference :)

Cheers,

onedude

Hi there -

I live in Sydney, and it's fair to say P&O have had their fair share of bad PR over the last 2-3 years with the Brimble case. I would honestly have a look at the ships you will be sailing on, and make part of your decision based on the age of the ship and when each was last refurbished. The one thing P&O was notorious for until a few years ago was giving Australian passengers some very old ships that were unreliable. That is improving, but a lot of the P&O vessels now in Australian waters are older Carnival vessels.

Hope this helps! PS - We are doing Rhapsody of the Seas 17 night ex Sydney October '09, if that helps answer the question about my preference :)

Cheers,

onedude

hey onedude

laura and andy are sailing out of southampton so they get the nice P&O ships:D, not the old dungers

Us Brizvegans are finally leaving carnival behind with our next Brisbane based ship from 2010. We're moving up to the 1991 ex-Regal Princess/Ocean Village 2. At least it has some balcony cabins:rolleyes:

pete

I am a confirmed fan of Royal Caribbean, my friends of P & O.

P & O is a little more sedate but what I like about RCI is that you can choose your level of involvement in activities. My husband and I are not particularly 'joiners' if you know what I mean and (before our first cruise) we had been concerned that we might not be able to do our own thing - nothing could be further from the truth.

Go for it - you will love it.

I am from England and have sailed with both lines. With P&O as young people, watch which Ship you sail on out of the UK. Some Ships attract older cruisers (60+) on Ships like Artemis (aka Arthiritis) and Arcadia.

I sailed on Oceana which had a fair mix of ages and we had a lot of fun but RCCL have a better night club scene. The big disadavantage with RCCL this year is all drinks are priced in dollars and you quickly rack up a drinks bill if you like a drink or three. This year we are sailing on Jewel of the Seas ex Harwich, our choice was mainly based on ports of call but also that on our available dates it would have meant Artemis so that really influenced our choice. Just carefully read P&O brochure and judge the style of Ship you would be sailing on and go from there.

Hope this helps

Bill

I have cruised about 8 or 9 times with RCCL and 3 times with P&O (also NCL, Celebrity, Carnival,etc).

As for your question, I enjoy both equally. I have only cruised RCCL form an American port, so the cruises were 'angled' towards American tastes as far as food, drinks and entertainment were concerned.

On each of my P&O crises we left from Southampton, so all of the above were geared towards British tastes. RCCL from Southmpton may different from RCCL from the States.

My last P&O cruise was on Ventura which I enjoyed immensly.

P&O is MUCH more formal with about 95% of men wearing Dinner Jackets on formal nights (and also many wore jacket and tie on 'informal' nights).

I think the point made about P&O pricing in Sterling is also very relevent. ( I am cruising on Brilliance this Monday and the fall in the £ will make the drinks much more expensive!)

One last point- on P&O you are still allowed to bring your own alcohol on board (although they are talking about changing this at some point)

My last P&O cruise was on Ventura which I enjoyed immensly.

P&O is MUCH more formal with about 95% of men wearing Dinner Jackets on formal nights (and also many wore jacket and tie on 'informal' nights).

I think the point made about P&O pricing in Sterling is also very relevent. ( I am cruising on Brilliance this Monday and the fall in the £ will make the drinks much more expensive!)

One last point- on P&O you are still allowed to bring your own alcohol on board (although they are talking about changing this at some point)

We have been on P&O Ventura and RCCL Monarch of the Seas. Both ships were absolutely lovely. We felt the average age was lower on the RCCL ship but I agree with the point made above that P&O pricing in sterling is very relevant.

We found Monarch of the Seas very expensive re alcohol but I understand this varies from ship to ship.

P&O - a bit traditional (not as much as Cunard).

RCCL - very friendly crew and a tad less formal

Gail

hey onedude

laura and andy are sailing out of southampton so they get the nice P&O ships:D, not the old dungers

Us Brizvegans are finally leaving carnival behind with our next Brisbane based ship from 2010. We're moving up to the 1991 ex-Regal Princess/Ocean Village 2. At least it has some balcony cabins:rolleyes:

pete

Oops! My bad. Sorry everyone.

And Pete, yes I wonder when P&O Australia will finally give us something of quality?!

Cheers,

Ash

Archived