Funny thing happened on our HAL cruise

Presentation

I'm an ambi, so where I sit dictates which hand I use for the fork (and, therefore, elbow). Often, just to watch the reaction, I'll start left-handed and, after a while, go right-handed for the rest of the meal. If I'm doing "right," then I'll cut things fork-left, knife-right, then toss the utensils simultaneously from one hand to the other, having them pass each other over the plate. But you pay extra for that.

I am not a good example for children -- so I play it straight when around them.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]While we're on dining etiquette.......[/B]

[B]If, at a very formal dinner, a lady is seated to the right of the host (Captain), is she to take the lead and lift her silverware first or wait for the Captain to, after everyone at the table has been served?[/B]

[B]Is it still the responsibility of ladies seated on either side of Captain (or host) to 'turn the table'?[/B]
[/quote]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]The captain is the host -- the HM is the host -- the lady to the right of him is not suppose to left her fork (or any other utensil) before the host.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='ger_77'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Pipedreams, your dog might be great with the plates and cutlery, but how is he/she with the tall glasses???:D[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Smooth Sailing! :):):)[/FONT][/quote]

Actually that isn't my dog in the pic,but I have one that looks similar. He probably could do glasses though. I give him the peanut butter jar when there's hardly any left in it. He's gone for hours,out of my hair and not barking,then brings me the clean peanut butter jar to showoff.

[quote name='Boytjie']Why not just tell her what the parallel cutlery means rather that reach over and handle her cutlery? I would be annoyed if a stranger handled my stuff uninvited.[/quote]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Both I and another lady at the table did try that. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='mariner']HAL used to offer a lecture on where to put what when there was a hostess aboard. But, alas, they eliminated the hostess.[/quote]Perhaps that could be a task for the Party Planner. She didn't seem overworked on our last cruise.

• 2 months later...
[quote name='[SIZE=3']Krazy Kruizers;17529298][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The captain is the host -- the HM is the host -- the lady to the right of him is not suppose to left her fork (or any other utensil) before the host.[/FONT][/B][/quote][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Would you believe, have finally received an answer from the Emily Post Institute..I've always believed you are correct & now have the answer which confirms it: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]This is their reply: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Quote Dear Elizabeth & XXXXXX

Thank you for writing The Emily Post Institute. Recently we have been inundated with letters and that has delayed our response time. We're sorry for any inconvenience. Normally we try to process letters within two-three weeks. Thank you for your patience and understanding.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We are pleased to provide you with the following answer.

Unfortunately you did not copy the URL to the thread so we were unable to see the conversation that was had.

From what information you have provided us with, we think that if you are seated at the Captain's table for a formal dinner that you should wait until the Captain begins dining or invites the rest of you to eat before starting
in on your plate of food.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Unquote[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Cheers & hope you all enjoy your dinner with the Captain.....:):)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Betty[/SIZE]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]While we're on dining etiquette.......[/B]

[B]If, at a very formal dinner, a lady is seated to the right of the host (Captain), is she to take the lead and lift her silverware first or wait for the Captain to, after everyone at the table has been served?[/B]

[B]Is it still the responsibility of ladies seated on either side of Captain (or host) to 'turn the table'?[/B]
[/quote]

Wow, I never knew that. We have been invited to the Captain's table many times with Celebrity (only once with HAL) and they usually seat Lauren to the Officer's right side. I had better give her the "head's up" concerning her roll in all of this!:rolleyes::)

Enjoy!
Kel

This is a very interesting thread!

Shouldn't the waiters wait until everyone at the table is finished before clearing any plates? That is what I was taught and if a waiter tries to take my plate before my companions are done I always ask them to wait until everyone is done. On the other hand, I was also taught that when the host has finished eating then the guests should also stop eating very shortly after so as not to hold up the progression of the meal. What do cruisers do when seated with strangers ... I think I would feel awkward holding up the table.

I watched the Emily Post video mentioned above and noticed that the lady was eating Continental Style when cutting meat but American style when not cutting anything. I've always been criticized for doing exactly that - am I the only one who eats this way?

[quote name='kelmac']Wow, I never knew that. We have been invited to the Captain's table many times with Celebrity (only once with HAL) and they usually seat Lauren to the Officer's right side. I had better give her the "head's up" concerning her roll in all of this!:rolleyes::)
Enjoy!
Kel[/quote]

[SIZE=3]No, she really has no role except to schmooze the Captain.:D..Only kidding!..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]As the Emily Post Institute states it is the Captain who either starts to eat or invites all at his table to eat..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[quote name='seabreezer']This is a very interesting thread!

I watched the Emily Post video mentioned above and noticed that the lady was eating Continental Style when cutting meat but American style when not cutting anything. I've always been criticized for doing exactly that - am I the only one who eats this way?[/quote]

No, not at all. I eat mostly in the Continental Style having been born and raised in the UK but, having lived happily in the US for most of my life, will often cut my meat European Style then switch immediately to American style. I have to say though that no one has ever criticized me for my eating habits (at least not to my face - maybe behind my back?:D).

Valerie:)

[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=4][COLOR=teal]Three days from the end of our last cruise on the Veendam we returned to our cabin to find an invitation to have dinner with the Captain the following evening.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=4][COLOR=#008080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=4][COLOR=#008080]We had no idea why we were invited, and when we arrived at the Piano Bar for cocktails there were others there as well...people we had seen several times during the cruise, some we had even spent some social time with as they were CC'ers. None of them could shed any light on the invitation process either.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=4][COLOR=#008080]Finally we went to dinner in the Queen's Room....the small dining room next to the main dining room on deck 5. Right after the wine was poured and just before dinner the Captain rose and explained to all of us...about a dozen couples and some Officers...that we had been nominated by the crew who worked at Front Desk to join the Captain for dinner. It seems that the group was determined by the crew to be the most pleasant and respectful in the way in which we had dealings with the crew.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=4][COLOR=#008080]We were obviously extrememly please and honoured with this recognition. We had a wonderful evening. Of course Captain Albert is well known for his graciousness and skills as an entertainer. He is a marvelous dinner companion.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=4][COLOR=#008080]I ate with a fork and knife![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='SDHALFAN']No, not at all. I eat mostly in the Continental Style having been born and raised in the UK but, having lived happily in the US for most of my life, will often cut my meat European Style then switch immediately to American style. I have to say though that no one has ever criticized me for my eating habits (at least not to my face - maybe behind my back?).

Valerie:)[/quote]

We too, were taught the continental style. When dining with people from different places, I never really understood why some people would cut with a knife in their right hand then switch their fork over. Now that I have learned this is taught, I must ask - Is it universally accepted that knife and fork should be parralel when finished? Regardless of position on the plate? I have seen people leave their cutlery (silverware/flatware) "open" and when asked, they have indicated they are "done"...

:confused::confused::confused:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Having been born and raised in the Netherlands, count me in as #3 here who has been taught the continental style. I have never 'switched over' to the American style. I have also been taught from a young age that the knife and fork are placed parralel on the plate when finished. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived