8:30am flight??? San Juan

PIED PIPERS

we have a 9:45 am flight out of San Juan.... now I am a bit concerned. Never thought it would be a problem since the ship got in at 5am.

Hi, I would try and change your flight if that is at all possible.

If you're referring to your Explorer cruise, it's not the same. The Explorer doesn't get in as early.

No I was refering to my Galaxy cruise out of San Juan in 2007.

(I know its time to clear off my "sailed" cruise):(

Thinking of booking the galaxy in feb.Was wondering if booking a 8:30am flight was to chancy to make.I know the get in to san juan at 6am how early do they let you off?

The time that the ship arrives in port is virtually irrelevant. What is much more relevant is the time that the Customs and Immigration officials arrive at the terminal to clear the ship and begin processing passengers arriving back in the US. You also need to factor in the travel time between Old San Juan and SJU and the time needed to check in with your luggage and pass through security.

As others have told you an 8:30 am flight is just not something that any experienced cruiser would recommend. Book something later in the morning or around noon if available. Why ruin a perfectly relaxing cruise experience by worrying about making it off the ship and to the airport for such an early flight.:confused:

slightly off-topic ...that you dont have to go through the usda line if you keep the cruise luggage departure tag on your bag...

Not really off topic since it was brought up earlier, and quite correct. There is no need for returning cruise passengers to go through the USDA line at SJU. That could save 10 minutes or so, but for all the reasons above I would still never even consider a flight before 10 -10:30.

Hmm....there may have been no need to go through the USDA line, but the Continental agent wasn't going to let me check my luggage until I did, and she clearly saw the cruise baggage tag attached because she asked how I liked the cruise as she was pointing me to the USDA screening. This was Dec 29.

we have a 9:45 am flight out of San Juan.... now I am a bit concerned. Never thought it would be a problem since the ship got in at 5am.

I also think you are cutting it way too close with that flight too. When we left from San Juan on American Airlines, it took a half hour to drop our bags at the drop off counter and then another 45 minutes to get through security. I'd change that flight to one after 12:00.

I live in NY and the security lines at the San Juan airport were the worst I have ever been through - even worse than the NY airports.

slightly off-topic but i was told by the airlines checking in at san juan that you dont have to go through the usda line if you keep the cruise luggage departure tag on your bag...apparently they do some sort of check at the pier before you get your bags...does anyone else know if this is still true? it was last november and in feb (not sure why no one ever tells passengers this)

We did not have to go thru the usda line when we flew out Dec. 27. We were flying with AA.

Laura

ok new question.. it will cost $150 per person to change our tickets plus the difference in ticket prices. now it is $300 more per person. That is a total of $900.

can I purchase travelers insurance that would cover some expenses if we miss our flights?

I do not care about preexisting illness. Just want to see if it would help to cover the additional cost incurred if we miss our flight and have to pay the extra fees, or stay in a hotel.

ok new question.. it will cost $150 per person to change our tickets plus the difference in ticket prices. now it is $300 more per person. That is a total of $900.

can I purchase travelers insurance that would cover some expenses if we miss our flights?

I do not care about preexisting illness. Just want to see if it would help to cover the additional cost incurred if we miss our flight and have to pay the extra fees, or stay in a hotel.

Insurance companies cover themselves pretty well and I highly doubt that insurance would cover these expenses if you are not following the time limitations given by the cruise line for flight times. Read the fine print carefully.

Thom

Insurance, from my own experience, will not cover missed flights because you booked a flight that was way too early to make. These companies are smart and they know that cruise lines tell all their passengers never to make flight reservations for before noon. There's a reason why those early flights are so cheap as they know cruise passengers cannot make those flights.

Hey all you've given OP good advice but I'll chip in too... in the islands things can move slower for no fundamental reason whatsoever, remember? Sorry to share the bad news, best of luck with an inexpensive rebook option... and have a lovely sail on the Galaxy, we'll wave as you sail past at night!

Archived