debarking the Voyager?

How was last weeks debarcation? Since so many drive to the port, I am guessing that the "self assist" , carrying off your luggage, is over crowded. Tho' we are driving, I'm thinking we may just wait a bit to get off the ship to avoid crowds. How is finding your luggage after debarking?

Our last Voyager cruise, self-service was a nightmare. They all scrambled off, then stood in line. An hour later when we got off, they were still in line.

They have not changed to color coded baggage system. It is really a snap....if you send one person to claim the bags and another to get in line for a porter.....then you exit using the lines set up for the porters, not the lines set up for folks to pick up, move, pick up, move, pick up, move......

Just one person's opinion, but I have just finished a cruise, why would I want to shlep luggage?

We must have hit the line perfect last time as we were about 20 back from the front of the line and were off 10 minutes before the official time to start debarkation. Less than 15 minutes wait from the time we got in line.

Compared to a similar embarkation on the Rhapsody when every elevator was full and we couldnt even get to the point to get off for 20 - 30 minutes, it was a pleasure.

Can't comment on last week's but on the 12/14 sailing it went very smooth for us. We didn't do self assist, learned our lesson on that a few years ago. Since we live close and drive home we signed up for 9:15 time slot and it was not bad. As someone else mentioned, getting a porter is the way to go in my opinion, well worth the few dollars for the tip!

debarkation has been really great *knock on wood*

Looking forward to meeting you on the 1st of Feb as we do enjoy your posts because they are so insightful and extemely informative of the Galveston Port.

As for debarkation, this is one cruise that we don't care if we are the first off or last ones off. But we remember our last Rhapsody cruises and it was a total nightmare line to get through customs. In your opinion, when is the line the shortest - JS time or waiting to the last ones off the ship? Of course that would be on average.

Archived