Kudos for Air Deviation but!!!

Dianneon2

We're booked on the Quest Western Med cruise Sept 16th and requested Air Deviation because we are hoping to spend a few days in Rome before taking the train to Venice where we board. We fly home out of Barcelona so I wanted to take advantage of the cruise arranged flights. In the meantime I've been reading some negatives about air deviation routes, timing etc. so when I came across a great non-refundable deal for a charter direct from Toronto and no additional fee for return from Barcelona, I thought what the heck I'm never going to get flights as good as these through Air Deviation so I'll pay more for convenience.. Guess what? next day, an e-mail arrives from Air Deviation with the perfect itinerary- Toronto to Rome direct on Alitalia, Flight from Rome to Venice and then Barcelona to Toronto with one stop enroute on Lufthansa. The positive thing i suppose is that we were able to upgrade to Business class with reclining seats for a lot less than we would have paid for equivalent seats on another airline. Since the cruise isn't until Sept. I thought I would have lots of time to cancel the Air deviation request but I guess now I'll be paying for that even though we can't take advantage of their great itinerary. I'm just too eager to get things planned.

Long story to say I was really impressed with the Air Deviation package offered and will be kicking myself for a while. Dianne

. Since the cruise isn't until Sept. I thought I would have lots of time to cancel the Air deviation request but I guess now I'll be paying for that even though we can't take advantage of their great itinerary. I'm just too eager to get things planned.

Long story to say I was really impressed with the Air Deviation package offered and will be kicking myself for a while. Dianne

Do you not have the option of taking or declining the deviation within 24-48 hrs?

My other flight was non-refundable so I had to turn it down but still pay the deviation fee. I was impressed though that they offered a direct flight from Toronto at good times and a good airline. Dianne

My other flight was non-refundable so I had to turn it down but still pay the deviation fee. I was impressed though that they offered a direct flight from Toronto at good times and a good airline. Dianne

Hi Dianne,

We did very well with Azamara's air deviation from Toronto-Rome & Athens-Toronto on Air Canada. I was a bit confused by your post though ... did you decide to fly with Alitalia?

Susan, Sorry if the post was confusing. i was trying not to ramble. We actually booked on Air Transat and upgraded to Club Class seats because my husband is on the large side and finds most plane seats very uncomfortable. I wasn't expecting air deviation to fly us from Rome to Venice-that was the real kicker for me because we now have to pay for the train but I'm sure it will be worth it for the experience alone. Dianne

I too am confused about your flights but thats fine.... You really should take the train from Roma to Venezia just because you don't have to bother going to the airport and spending most of the day in travel. It is much easier on the train. The train station is in the centre of Rome and when you exit the train station in Venice, if is your first time, you will be amazed.

I would take the first class train, and dine on board with a bottle of vino. or buy a great picnic before you board the train.and sit in coach as you watch the countryside go by..... Most trains make one stop in Florence on the way up.

Susan, Sorry if the post was confusing. i was trying not to ramble. We actually booked on Air Transat and upgraded to Club Class seats because my husband is on the large side and finds most plane seats very uncomfortable. I wasn't expecting air deviation to fly us from Rome to Venice-that was the real kicker for me because we now have to pay for the train but I'm sure it will be worth it for the experience alone. Dianne

Now that you've explained, it all makes sense.:) But I'm surprised that you have to pay air deviation if you aren't using it ... I thought the charge applied only if you accepted the flights that the cruise line offered? Or do they charge as soon as you tell them you want to use air deviation?

When I arranged our custom flights with Azamara, I picked the airline and dates and then asked Azamara to give me a price on those exact flights (I also gave them flight #'s). However, as Captain's Club members, we were exempt from the first charge for deviation, and only would have been charged had we made subsequent changes to those arrangements.

Susan, you're right, I didn't have to pay the air deviation charges after all. When the offer came through it stated non-refundable charge so I assumed that meant I would be charged regardless of whether I accepted the offer or not. In a subsequent e-mail yesterday, they said I would not be charged. Just saved $150. to put towards my club seats on Air Transat. Dianne

Did you happen to price the Bus. Class seats through Azamara and compare them to the prices you got on your own?

When we do our Med. cruise, we are definitely upgrading, I'm just not sure which way will be cheaper - on our own or through the cruise line (be it Azamara or Celebrity).

Archived