Comparing the speciality restuarants to Celebrity's

uktog

We sail next week and are thinking about where we might eat each night. I am sure we will vary between venues but my question is from recent cruisers who have also sailed on Celebrity - to what extent does Aqualina and Prime C compare with Muranos Ocean Liners etc on Celebrity in terms of food and service. I am assuming there is no table side preparation but otherwise any differences

Thanks

If anyone has the answers to the above could they also answer a query I have regarding the speciality restaurants. Do they make up tables from a mix of guests or only take reservations from couples at a table for two or readymade parties wanting to dine together. I will be on the same cruise as uktog and would also like to eat in the various venues but as I travel solo I am wondering how seating in Aqualina and Prime C works....I know the main dining room is open seating and you can ask to join a table, I hope one can also do that in the other restaurants...

Anne

Hi Anne,

I'm pretty sure that the SR's are by reservation only, so joining a table might be difficult if you just arrive that night at the restaurant. But you can make them once on board, so if you meet up with others that you would like to dine with at the SR's, then you'll likely be able to make a reservation at that time for a future night. Or, if you find others on your roll call to join up with at dinner, then an advance reservation could be made.

We dined there on the first night of the cruise and it was a great way to start the cruise. Perhaps a suggestion on your roll call to others to join you on the first night in Aqualina? Tables accommodate up to 6 or 8 (sorry, can't remember if I saw any parties of 8, but definitely 6) ... and if you or someone else is a Captain's Club member, you can make a reservation 60 days in advance of the cruise.

P.S. uktog, We didn't dine at Celebrity's specialty restaurants, so unable to compare ... but thought that the SR's on Quest were excellent!

Thanks Susan - I know the speciality restaurants are by reservation only what I was wondering is do they only take reservations for 'full' tables of 2, 4, 6, 8 or whatever, or if you ask for a reservation on a certain night would they put say 3 couples or 2 couples & 2 singles together to make up a table for 6, etc....Hope that makes sense!!

Anne

The specialty restaurants on Azamara are different---not better or worse---than Celebrity's M-class specialty restaurants. They are probably closer, in concept and execution, to the specialty restaurants on Solstice. The food is very good to excellent but the style is more modern and not the old-style (but still nice) formal continental service found on the M-class ships. Likewise, the menus on Azamara are not the traditional continental menus found on the Celebrity ships. They are reservation-only (not hard to get) and for service flow reasons they do not put together random guests at tables. Finally, there is an optional $5 per person gratuity, not the mandatory $30 per person for the Celebrity M-class specialty restaurants.

If anyone has the answers to the above could they also answer a query I have regarding the speciality restaurants. Do they make up tables from a mix of guests or only take reservations from couples at a table for two or readymade parties wanting to dine together. I will be on the same cruise as uktog and would also like to eat in the various venues but as I travel solo I am wondering how seating in Aqualina and Prime C works....I know the main dining room is open seating and you can ask to join a table, I hope one can also do that in the other restaurants...

Anne

Hi,

The tip to go to the roll call is a good one, however we found that you meet so many people very quickley on the smaller ship that you will not find a problem arranging dining companions, it may be also an idea to meet with the Maitre D as soon as possible and ask him to ask if anyone would like to join you when you book.

Enjoy your cruise and look after the ship we sail in Feb.

Hi Everyone !

I think Fpetrarca gave a great explanation. I thought the food was outstanding in Azamara's Specialty Restaurants. It is hard to compare it to Murano's, as the menu is different, and the service is more formal at Murano's or any of Celebrity's M-Class Specialty Restaurants. I thought Prime C was similar to Solstice's Tuscan Grille. I am confident that Prime C's success, had a great deal to do with the concept behind Tuscan Grille.

Jayayeff : The Specialty Restaurants are by Reservation only, and the table size will be what you request. Unless requested, they do not seat you with others. However, you cannot simply ask for a table for 6, as they will be asking for Cabin numbers when you make the reservation. Everything needs to add up. I believe the largest table size table is 8, but it could be 6. Most of them seemed to be tables for 4.

I hope this helps !

Jayayeff : The Specialty Restaurants are by Reservation only, and the table size will be what you request. Unless requested, they do not seat you with others. However, you cannot simply ask for a table for 6, as they will be asking for Cabin numbers when you make the reservation. Everything needs to add up. I believe the largest table size table is 8, but it could be 6. Most of them seemed to be tables for 4.

I hope this helps !

I had a feeling this was going to be the case as with 100% single supplements, etc. Azamara is clearly not one of those lines that goes out of its way to cater to the single traveller. One of the reasons I enjoy Crystal so much is that they are so accommodating of singles, even in the speciality restaurants the Maitre d' on several nights will make up a Table for Eight from those who wish to dine there but are not travelling as part of a group, be they family or friends. I found the set-up on Oceania the same as you describe on Azamara and whilst I did meet people whom I was able to eat in the speciality restaurants, I would rather not have to wait and hope, but know than I can if I want to....

Anne

Hi Anne,

When I was on the Crystal Serenity last year, I thought it was such a wonderful idea of the line to do the "table of eight" for singles. What a wonderful way to meet other singles who are traveling alone.

Sheila

I had a feeling this was going to be the case as with 100% single supplements, etc. Azamara is clearly not one of those lines that goes out of its way to cater to the single traveller. One of the reasons I enjoy Crystal so much is that they are so accommodating of singles, even in the speciality restaurants the Maitre d' on several nights will make up a Table for Eight from those who wish to dine there but are not travelling as part of a group, be they family or friends. I found the set-up on Oceania the same as you describe on Azamara and whilst I did meet people whom I was able to eat in the speciality restaurants, I would rather not have to wait and hope, but know than I can if I want to....

Anne

I don't know about Quest, but on Journey, Prime C restaurant has a large table in the front part that could easily accomodate such a table. They used it two nights for a wine tasting menu, but it was otherwise vacant. You might mention it early in your cruise, and perhaps they would do something like that for you. We found management to be very responsive to comments/requests/complaints.:)

I found the set-up on Oceania the same as you describe on Azamara and whilst I did meet people whom I was able to eat in the speciality restaurants, I would rather not have to wait and hope, but know than I can if I want to....

Anne

I find that odd.

On Oceania we always ask to be seated at a table of 4 or 6 ... they seat you with others, you do not have to find people on your own to share the table with

We have met many people by sharing a table

I find that odd.

On Oceania we always ask to be seated at a table of 4 or 6 ... they seat you with others, you do not have to find people on your own to share the table with

We have met many people by sharing a table

Azamara will do that in the main dining room, but not in the specialty restaurants. They are by reservation only. :)

Azamara will do that in the main dining room, but not in the specialty restaurants. They are by reservation only. :)

So is Oceania ....that is why I am surprised

When we make our reservation they ask how big a table we want.

They seat us with others

Thanks to all for your comments/ideas/suggestions. As my trip is next weekend (17th Jan) no time to make advance plans but I will certainly speak to 'the powers that be' when I get onboard and hopefully be able to work something out....

Anne

Thanks to all for your comments/ideas/suggestions. As my trip is next weekend (17th Jan) no time to make advance plans but I will certainly speak to 'the powers that be' when I get onboard and hopefully be able to work something out....

Anne

Hi Jayayeff !

Have a wonderful Cruise. Bon Voyage !

Thanks to everyone for their comments -you have reflected what I thought was the case and I am sure we are going to have a very difficult time chosing our eating venue each night!

A

On Oceania we were always able to ask to share a table in the specialty restaurants. That's why, when we sailed on Azamara, I was surprised that they didn't have this option. I noted on the comment card that I thought this shared tables should be an option.

We're sailing on Azamara again in a few weeks. I'll be sure to mention it to the hotel manager at the CC get together and note it again on the comment card. Although I'm part of a couple, I thought the idea of a sharing table for people sailing alone is also a great idea. We're always happy to have singles join us as well. At a certain age, one thinks about the possibility that one could suddenly be traveling alone.

Prime C and Aqualina Restaurants are by reservation only. Guests need to speak up and ask the Maitre d' if they want to join others. The staff will do all they can to accommodate a guest but they are not psychic. Speak up and let people on the ship know what you want and they will always do their best. Also....the $5.00 per person is not a cover charge but a "suggested gratuity". On Celebrity you are charged $30.00 per person...quite a good deal on Azamara. Azamara is not Oceania even though the ships are sister ships.

Thanks to everyone for their comments -you have reflected what I thought was the case and I am sure we are going to have a very difficult time chosing our eating venue each night!

A

Hi Uktog !

I truly do not believe you will have a difficult time at all. Just communicate your wishes to the Maitre'd at each Dining Venue, and they will do everything possible to accomodate you. The wonderful crew onboard, work very hard to keep you happy.

If you have any interest in the Specialty Restaurants, I highly recommend you make your reservations as soon as possible, to avoid any disappointment. Please try not to worry, as things will likely work out to your satisfaction.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Archived