sorry another question - drinks in with the price of cruise

Hi,

You are correct. All the drinks in fridge in the room are charged, including bottled water. All the drinks in the Windjammer, tea, coffee, glasses of water, fruit punch are free. Glasses of water, standard tea, coffee, concentrated juice in the Main Dining Room is free. Specialty coffees and freshly squeezed juices are charged. Ditto cafe promenade / Sorrento's. Milkshakes in Johnny Rockets are charged.

I've probably missed something out. I know someone else here will fill in.

A couple of things to be aware of in the drink department. IMO there are several drink "offers" to exhausted thinking-less-than-clearly travelers soon after they get to the ship that I feel are presented as gifts but are really disguised sales pitches. That person handing you "A nice rum punch for sail away" will wait until you have taken a drink out of it and be asking for your charge card to the tune of eight dollars or so, and that "would you like some sparkling water" at dinner the first night will also be costing you. I have NO problem with these being offered for sale, and with people buying them, but offering something as if it is included and waiting until you have drunk from it to ask for your charge card is a sleazy way for them to start your trip. The sparkling wine offered you for the toast at the Captain's Welcome Aboard is at no charge [subject to change, of course]. Cruises offer a great value and I enjoy them greatly, but attempting to sucker-punching your wallet as soon as you step aboard gets a great trip [and it will be a great trip] off to a poor start.

Couldn't agree with you more Thom. Last cruise..... first in recent years..... sat in Windjammer after boarding and the daily drink is being hawked around in the souvenir cup. I had no idea you could request the drink (at a cheaper price) in a regular cup, also had no idea that the cup was collectable and could be taken away as we had paid for it. So now I have one cup (retrieved from the trash) sitting in my kitchen for no good purpose other than holding some clips, but it's MINE!!! ;)

You mentioned "standard tea" is that iced tea? and I thought someone said they had lemonade? We are not big soda drinkers but wondering as well what our free non-alcoholic choices were when we are not in the dining room or windjammer?

All the ships that I have been on have also offered lemonade for free. At breakfast, they offer milk, apple juice, and orange juice for free. In Europe they offered guava juice at breakfast but I don't remember seeing it anywhere else. They charge for milk and juice if you want them other than breakfast. I think all the juices are a mix so the flavor is sometimes too bitter or too sweet, depending on who mixes it. I've seen packages of cocoa on some ships that you can mix with hot water. Both regular and sugar-free cocoa were available for free. If you order the "specialty" cocoa at the bar there is a charge. The tea is available as either "iced" from the dispenser (mom says it's too strong and cuts it with water) or they offer 3 or 4 types of tea bags to make your own. I remember seeing Earl Grey and chamomile but not sure about the other flavors. Cinnamon and lemon maybe? I think there was plain and de-caffeinated Lipton's as well.

On our recent cruise there was lemonade and unsweetened iced tea (a change for us Canadians used to the sweetened kind) in Windjammer and available in the MDR at no cost, along with coffee and a variety of hot teas to choose from (herbal, caffeine free, Earl Grey, etc). Any soda, alcoholic drink, or specialty coffee was not free. We are not big soda drinkers so this worked for us.

You mentioned "standard tea" is that iced tea? and I thought someone said they had lemonade? We are not big soda drinkers but wondering as well what our free non-alcoholic choices were when we are not in the dining room or windjammer?
They have iced tea and tea bags available for hot tea. Lemonade also. Some ships have fruit punch but not all.

Forgot to mention above, you can get milk free through room service (to go with your cookies at night) but I was charged $2 or $3 for a glass with lunch in the dining room. I know milk cartons at breakfast in WJ or a glass of milk in the dining room was free at breakfast.

The prices on Legend varied by the drink. The lowest one was $6, the highest $12. I never asked about refilling a glass. You could ask for the drink in a regular cup and the price would be $1 or $2 cheaper. The highest priced drinks were martinis in glasses that lit up.

The windjammer almost always has unsweetened iced tea and lemonade free from the dispensers, there is also a water dispenser and ice there. I usually bring a 1 quart bottle with me and keep it filled all day from there. I pour from the cups into my bottle, putting the actual bottles up to the dispensers is not allowed, there are signs posted saying not to fill your bottles there. I usually do 1 cup of lemonade to 3 cups of the tea, gives me a nice mixture, the lemonade by itself is very good, but a little too sweet for my liking (and diabetes).

They now charge for milk/chocolate milk in the dining room?:confused:
They did on Legend in May. I only ordered it once during lunch in the dining room. It was never offered during lunch in WJ. I never tried to order milk during dinner. I know it was free during breakfast and from room service. I thought I had ordered milk on a previous cruise during lunch and not been charged, but it's hard to remember everything.

They did on Legend in May. I only ordered it once during lunch in the dining room. It was never offered during lunch in WJ. I never tried to order milk during dinner. I know it was free during breakfast and from room service. I thought I had ordered milk on a previous cruise during lunch and not been charged, but it's hard to remember everything.

Wow. I know on our last cruise (which admittedly was a few years ago) our daughter had chocolate milk in the dining room every night. That's sad if its changed. It's getting to the point where you have no idea what you will be charged for, and that is not a good thing.

Wow. I know on our last cruise (which admittedly was a few years ago) our daughter had chocolate milk in the dining room every night. That's sad if its changed. It's getting to the point where you have no idea what you will be charged for, and that is not a good thing.
It would probably be best to ask if it's included once you board. My Legend cruise was a Eurpean itinerary and RC does change the rules sometimes based on location. I'm sorry but I just can't remember for certain whether I ordered milk on any US or Caribbean itineraries and was charged for it. It seemed strange to me that it was included for breakfast but not lunch. However, they do that with orange juice too. You might also ask this question on the Family Cruising board since people with kids are more likely to have recent answers to a milk question.

It would probably be best to ask if it's included once you board. My Legend cruise was a Eurpean itinerary and RC does change the rules sometimes based on location. I'm sorry but I just can't remember for certain whether I ordered milk on any US or Caribbean itineraries and was charged for it. It seemed strange to me that it was included for breakfast but not lunch. However, they do that with orange juice too. You might also ask this question on the Family Cruising board since people with kids are more likely to have recent answers to a milk question.

Thanks. It's really not a big deal. I just hate not knowing for sure when and what there will be charges for. Especially if it changes depending on your location on the ship (Windjammers vs dining room) or the time of day. It would be nice to know these things without have to ask.

How much does the drink of the day in the souvenir cup cost on Royal? and if you keep the cup can you refill at a lower price? Thanks

No, for hygienic reasons they would not refill your used cup. Just get the second one in a regular glass.

They now charge for milk/chocolate milk in the dining room?:confused:

The answer to this seems to vary. On Explorer in October, I was not charged for milk in the DR at dinner. My wonderful assistant waiter remembered every night and brought me a glass of milk. :)

Archived