Complete Cruising Newbie with 2 kids....

Jimmy_Twotimes

Hello Everyone

This is my first post as we have never gone on a cruise and am completely clueless!!!!

Here is the situation, my wife, myself and our two children (6 years old and 2 years old) are looking to celebrate out 10th Wedding Anniversary with a 7 night cruise. Having never done this I would really appreciate any advice on cruise lines, destinations etc that would make an enjoyable trip for us but mostly for the children.

The other issue we have is budget! In the current climate, and me being the only one that works we would want to get the most bang for our very weak pound....So advice on how to grab good deals would also be handy. I spose it doesnt help that we would also have to go during the school hols.....

And as if that wasnt already a lot to ask - as we arent the best flyers, we would prefer a sailing that left from the UK...

Now i know that I'm being a bit greedy with the advice but, truly any help would be much appreciated from people with experience...

Thanks in advance :)

Do the Norwegian Jade out of Southampton. NCL takes children as young as two in their youth program. You will get a lot of bang for your buck and NCL is great with kids- very casual. There are lots of sailings out of Southampton that are reasonably priced.

You could try P&O. As they're a British company the weak pound wouldn't be an issue, they sail from the UK so no flights necessary, and their kids' clubs start at age 2. You can find out more by visiting their website. Click on the "P&O Cruises Experience" menu tab at the top and then on "family fun".

Hope this helps.

Fiona.

I think NCL & Carnival are the only lines with programs for 2 year olds. We've been on two Carnival cruises & are taking a 3rd next month with our three boys (2,3 & 5). I really think that Carnival is by far the best bang for your buck.

Since Carnival won't have any ship in Europe other than the two first cruises on Carnival Dream in Oct, that leaves NCL...But in Europe, you have other options besides the big boys from the USA. Try Thomson Holidays, who charge in pounds, and have some sailings from the UK. Also consider Fred Olsen cruises. These lines use older, smaller ships but that shouldn't matter on your first cruise. See a good brick and mortar TA! EM

Sometimes you can indeed get last minute deals. If you are willing to gamble on that and aren't wedded to a particular sailing- then wait. If you are the type of person who likes to plan well in advance then buying ahead of time is probably a good idea. With the economy being what it is- I'd probably wait.

You could try P&O. As they're a British company the weak pound wouldn't be an issue, they sail from the UK so no flights necessary, and their kids' clubs start at age 2. You can find out more by visiting their website. Click on the "P&O Cruises Experience" menu tab at the top and then on "family fun".

Hope this helps.

Fiona.

Or you can also post a query on the Cruise Critic P&O - UK Message Board.

Archived