new to princess - dining question/attire

bskmom

Hello again,

I took the advice of this board and got a TA to book our cruise. I am waiting for her to call back but I want to be prepared. We are 16 people going on Carribean Princess in July (hopefully). We are used to NCL and Freestyle. I know that Princess has anytime dining. My MIL likes to eat early anyway so I am hoping it should not be much of a problem. My husbands family does not like the idea of eating with other people but my thought is if we did want to sit together should we try to do TD and would they just put the 16 of us together? My daughter has severe food allergies so on NCL the MD always made reservations for us even though it was freestyle. It was easier to always be in the same restaurant so the wait staff was familiar with her allergies.

Also what is the dress code like? NCL my kids wore polos and adults wore neat and casual clothes. There were optional formal nights but you didn't have to. I know Princess has formal nights but are they optional or you must bring a suit for boys/men. If we did TD and wanted to opt out of formal nights could we? Any info on dining and attire would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Patti

The formal night question, you'll likely find, elicits a lot of impassioned responses. Some say men without jackets have been turned away, but I've never witnessed it. Technically, the suits would be best. People will tell you to do the buffet on formal nights if you don't want to dress up, but the allergy problem certainly makes that more complicated. Actually, even just a sport coat and tie would do. You will see a lot of people dressed up, more than on NCL or Carnival. I wear a tux (rented on board), but I like to dress up.

Thanks everyone,

I don't mind dressing up but some of my husbands family does. We did RCCL (just the 5 of us) and I liked that we were all dressed. It is more my husbands family. I guess I am also concerned about the best way to get all of us together at dinner. 16 is a lot of people - the most we have had cruise together. 8 of them are first time cruisers so I am in charge. I love that these boards provide so much help. It is harder this time for me since I have never cruised Princess.

Another quick question - from cruise deck plans I can't seem to find connecting rooms. Does Princess not have these or are they just not shown. My eyes aren't great but I can't find them in the brochure either.

Thanks again

PS Still waiting for TA..... I just want to book all ready...

Patti

Another quick question - from cruise deck plans I can't seem to find connecting rooms. Does Princess not have these or are they just not shown. My eyes aren't great but I can't find them in the brochure either.

Thanks again

PS Still waiting for TA..... I just want to book all ready...

Patti

Only the Diamond/Sapphire/Coral/Island have true connecting rooms, and very few at that.

Otherwise you would have to connect via the balcony only. :)

With 16 people you all would not be able to sit at the same table in either TD or Anytime Dining. If you all want to sit at adjacent tables I would suggest you see the maître d' mid-afternoon on embarkation day to make arrangements for your group. Also make certain you TA cross references all the reservations. Since your daughter has severe food allergies the maître d' will also see to it that all necessary arrangements are taken care of for her. Do make sure you fill in the Princess Cruise Personalizer with all information for her allergies.

If any in your group will be uncomfortable dressing up a bit for diner there is alway the buffet that is available for casual dining and dress.

If any in your group will be uncomfortable dressing up a bit for diner there is alway the buffet that is available for casual dining and dress.

Many people will recommend the buffet as alternative if you do not want to dress up. Yes it is an alternative, but it is not necessary. They will gladly seat you in the MDR on formal night if you are dressed casually. They always seat me and I always dress casually on formal night.

Only the Diamond/Sapphire/Coral/Island have true connecting rooms, and very few at that.

Otherwise you would have to connect via the balcony only. :)

Althought Colo Cruiser does not like the "R" class ships in the Princess fleet or allow them to come to mind, the Royal, Pacific and the Tahitian all have connecting rooms and are shown on the deck plans.

With that large a group and given the dining configuration of many of the Princess ships, I would ask for a set time at anytime dining, either 2 adjacent tables for 8 or adjacent tables of 8/4/4. That way you can change seating among yourselves from meal to meal to give everyone a chance to sit with other members of the party. I would be most surprised if, given the allergies issue, he failed to accomodate you.

Remember, its the maitre d' and only the maitre d' that can set this up. If you ask a waiter or dining room captain they will tell you they can't do it. Many people assume that is final, but its not. It means what they said, they don't have the authority. I have made similar inquiries on ocasion and was ready to give in before analyzing their response. They never volunteered that the maitre d' could make the decision, and I thought they were the definitive response.

Hello again,

I took the advice of this board and got a TA to book our cruise. I am waiting for her to call back but I want to be prepared. We are 16 people going on Carribean Princess in July (hopefully). We are used to NCL and Freestyle. I know that Princess has anytime dining. My MIL likes to eat early anyway so I am hoping it should not be much of a problem. My husbands family does not like the idea of eating with other people but my thought is if we did want to sit together should we try to do TD and would they just put the 16 of us together? My daughter has severe food allergies so on NCL the MD always made reservations for us even though it was freestyle. It was easier to always be in the same restaurant so the wait staff was familiar with her allergies.

Also what is the dress code like? NCL my kids wore polos and adults wore neat and casual clothes. There were optional formal nights but you didn't have to. I know Princess has formal nights but are they optional or you must bring a suit for boys/men. If we did TD and wanted to opt out of formal nights could we? Any info on dining and attire would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Patti

The kids can wear polos and pants on "smart casual" nights as can the adults males. Women can wear pants, skirts, dresses, or capris and a top of course (!) on smart casual night.

Formal nights are formal and not mandatory but if you chose to eat in the dining rooms you will have to adhere to the dress codes. If you don't want to be dressed formally you can do room service, eat the buffet, have pizza, burger, or hot dogs. You can also enjoy the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on one of these nights.

You will see a wide array of answers to the formal question as many poster get very passionate about dress on those night. There are people who don't follow the dress code and have been allowed in the dining room and then there are some sailings and ships where they won't be allowed in the dining rooms.

I'm sure you'll love Princess, have fun!

We went on a family cruise 2 years ago..15 of us and we had 2 tables of 8 next to each other...people sat were they wanted each night, we had the same wait staff. Three of us had major food allergies, the head waiter came after dinner each evening and took our order for the next evening meal (and if we wanted he took our order for lunch). They will make anyting you want on the menu to fit your needs if at all possible. We had early seating, traditional dining because we had 2 young childern in our party. It was great and we had no problems with allergies. As far as dress...I never saw anyone asked not to come in to the dinning room on formal night as long as they were not in jeans, shorts, etc.

you will have a great time...just be sure to talk to your wait staff the first evening, and the head waiter will take care of everything...thats why we love to cruise.

I have been on 2 cruises with family groups, both on Princess. We had Traditional Dining. The first cruise there were 14 of us, a round table for 8 with a round table for 6 right next to it. The second cruise there were 12 of us, a round table for 8 with a round table for 4 next to it. It was great! We rotated each night so that everyone ended up eating with everyone at least once. At lunch we were able to be seated in the dining room at one long table for 12 of us. The dinnertime dining arrangement was all done through our travel agent when we booked the cruise. We loved it because no matter where everyone was running all day, we had a set place and time everyday to meet for dinner.

I finally booked today!!! I am so excited. I went with the TD at the early seating. We will have two tables of 8. I think it will be best to maintain a relationship with our servers. I will definitely talk to the MD. We have had wonderful luck with NCL and their MD with my daughters food allergies. They really seem to get it - more so than traditional restaurants at home so it is actually more relaxing for me. I am sure it will be the same on Princess. I have had my TA make notes in our reservations noting the allergies (and unfortunately she has type 1 diabetes as well). I think we will be ok with the TD and since it seems that Princess has laundry (I know who wants to do laundry - but it will help - NCL does not have self service) I won't have to overpack like I usually do and can afford to throw some dress shoes and jackets for the boys in their luggage. My daughter and I enjoy dressing up. I will leave it up to the rest of the family to make their own decisions. Again thanks again and you will notice I added a countdown clock!!!

Patti

Don't feel intimidated into going all out on formal nights as some would have you believe. The suggestion of formal attire is followed by many, but being bared from dining in the main dining room is a option they hardly ever enforce except in extreme cases. If they look decent with a clean pair of Dockers & polo shirt, even with out a jacket & tie they'll be welcomed.

On causal evenings you sons can wear a decent pair of jeans & a polo shirt which will be fine.

Don't feel intimidated into going all out on formal nights as some would have you believe. The suggestion of formal attire is followed by many, but being bared from dining in the main dining room is a option they hardly ever enforce except in extreme cases. If they look decent with a clean pair of Dockers & polo shirt, even with out a jacket & tie they'll be welcomed.

On causal evenings you sons can wear a decent pair of jeans & a polo shirt which will be fine.

That's like saying, it's okay to speed through that school zone because it's hardly ever enforced. I really don't mind how people want to dress, but I don't think you should be passing along bad advice. And trust me, it is bad advice you are passing out. Dress codes do get enforced. You might be setting someone up for an embarassing situation.

The idea is that this is a night where you are asked to dress up. If you make an effort, even if you don't necessarily follow the letter of the law, you will be fine. If you pretend that there is no difference with any other night, you might be disappointed. It's easy to do and doesn't require anyone going to a great effort.

That's like saying, it's okay to speed through that school zone because it's hardly ever enforced. I really don't mind how people want to dress, but I don't think you should be passing along bad advice. And trust me, it is bad advice you are passing out. Dress codes do get enforced. You might be setting someone up for an embarassing situation.

The idea is that this is a night where you are asked to dress up. If you make an effort, even if you don't necessarily follow the letter of the law, you will be fine. If you pretend that there is no difference with any other night, you might be disappointed. It's easy to do and doesn't require anyone going to a great effort.

What you say is true but even thought it's suggested & most everyone follows their suggestion, a strict enforcement is rarely an item of concern especially for the younger crowd. As long as their neatly dressed on formal evenings with or without a jacket & tie, they'll be welcomed in the dining room. Even you yourself said that if they make an effort they will be fine.

It would be interesting to get the OP view on this subject after their return.

TO THE OP - I suggest you read the Princess "Answer Book" suggested dress guidelines for formal and casual nights and make your own judgement call. There are some folks who will tell you that anything goes, which may be true on some ships and with some Headwaiters - however - you may also be turned away if you are nnot dressed appropriately.

SO - do what you think will be OK without taking the advice of posters. Dress guidelines is a very hot topic on this forum and you will get a myriad of answers - some right and some wrong.

Ron

Even you yourself said that if they make an effort they will be fine.

That is my most objective assessment. By making an effort, I imply something that is of a higher standard than dockers and a polo shirt per your post. I have seen people dressed exactly that way turned away during our last two cruises.

That is my most objective assessment. By making an effort, I imply something that is of a higher standard than dockers and a polo shirt per your post. I have seen people dressed exactly that way turned away during our last two cruises.

AWW, C,mon Rob - you are making that up. NOONE gets turned away according to the few seasoned cruisers who have

seen anyone admitted on all ships and all itineraries.

Ron

.To the OP: it has been my experience on Princess that most men will make the effort to dress up on formal night if they are eating in the main DR --- fewer tuxes than there used to be, mostly dark suits with a few sport coats and ties. I don't doubt the posters who say they have been allowed in with casual clothes, I just haven't seen it. I know my DH would be uncomfortable if he felt underdressed, but obviously not everyone feels that way. As long as your relatives know what to expect, they can make an informed decision. Princess is not like NCL where only a portion dress up for formal nights.

The cruise answer book recommends a jacket for men, which is why it is so often referred to here by those who like to dress.

The reality is it is not enforced. I never where a jack and I am always seated on formal night. They simply do not deny people dinner in the MDR for lack of a jacket on formal night any more.

Maybe it is because Carnival, NCL, Azamara and others do not require jackets and people can not keep all the cruise lines rules straight or maybe some other reason. But the facts on the ship are they will gladly seat you on formal night without a jacket no matter what it says anywhere. They always seat me (but I never speed through school zones)

You must travel different ships than myself. We were only on 4 Princess cruises in '08 & although most people do dress up there were many exceptions to the formal rules. If the OP feels that they might be chastised by the fashion police, then by all means pack the tuxes for the kids, but just remember that not all people care to partake in the formal dressing & will eating the same food right along side you.

Archived