I cannot believe what I saw..!!!!

ASIWISH

We were offered a suite on this ship during the initial build out for $2.1 million plus, (if my memory is correct), $14,000.oo per year in maintanance fees. They bought us, and a handful of other prospective buyers, a fantastic dinner at the Four Seasons Restaurant in Boston for the presentation.

Anyway, Mrs Banjo & I politely declined to "Buy In" at the "Pre Sailing" price. We decided that buying part of a ship that has a limited useful life is not a good investment for our future. And, not only that, I just could not seem to find that extra $2,000,000.oo hanging arround anywhere! But I did look in the mattress, just in case, LOL

We can do a lot of really HIGH PRICE cruising for that kind of $$ and never see the same cabin twice, so.... ....we would have declined anyway, even if we had the $$ to make a purchase like that.

Also, BTW, I had read somplace that the people who bought in were not so happy to be living next door to suites that were rented out as Cruise cabins, because they were unsold. Seems the clientell was not up to their standards, HMMMMMMM????:o I think that part has now been resolved.

I agree, rather than be locked into an ivestment like that, I would rather take a lot of really nice high end cruises , or like I said have my own personal yacht.

I am surprised for those prices , the owners don't have a review board or a tenents comittee like some of those ritzy bldgs in NYC (and I am sure other places). If you want to buy an apartment in the bldg you put in an application and it is approved or denied by the board.

Travel on The World can be booked through a travel agency that is a preferred agent for ResidenSea. Our agency has booked it for a few luxury clients who are really interested in spending a lot of time in a few ports in a specific region.

One thing that is nice about it you can book a minimum of 5 nights like you would a hotel get off the ship and take a land tour of a few days or a week and meet up with the ship again and do a few more nights. Think Snow Birds in a floating resort hotel for a month or two in Asia or the Caribbean or the Mediterranean. It appeals to the same type of passengers who book a world cruise but want to concentrate their time in a specific region. The Residence Sea will be sailing up the Pacific coast to Alaska this spring and spending a few days in San Francisco. I hope to get a chance to tour it then.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

The World was docked in Haines when we were on our Alaskan cruise. I had arranged to do an excursion through an independent tour operator. He picked us up on a bus at the dock. (We had to catch the ferry from Skagway to Haines to meet up with him.)

There were several passengers from the World doing excursions with his company. They asked if he could stop the bus at a doughnut store. I thought it was hilarious that anyone on a cruise ship could be wanting more food. But then I found out that everything was a la carte on it. Even people with a ton of money try to save a bit by buying provisions on land instead of on the ship.

I am surprised for those prices , the owners don't have a review board or a tenents comittee like some of those ritzy bldgs in NYC (and I am sure other places). If you want to buy an apartment in the bldg you put in an application and it is approved or denied by the board.

In New York City all co-ops have boards that approve new owners (and usually renters of co-ops owned), not just the ritzy ones. Condos don't have such boards.

In New York City all co-ops have boards that approve new owners (and usually renters of co-ops owned), not just the ritzy ones. Condos don't have such boards.

Oh Ok Thanks

Wasn't really sure how that worked, I have never been in the position to buy one *LOL*

I know there have been a few celebs that got turned down . I guess the other tenents didn't want the bldg full of paparazzi and gawkers. Can't really blame them.

I'm not an expert by any means (but thanks for the compliment.) I would echo RuthC's comments. Such a residence ship isn't a fit with HAL's overall marketing plan. But who's to say? If things ever really seriously drop off, it might make sense to take one ship out of inventory and try to "sell" it for residential use.
Maybe it's me ... but I just cannot understand this concept at all. Why spend all those bucks for the initial outlay when you are still paying to cruise in the form of the maintenance fees (and paying big bucks too!)

Wouldn't it make more sense ... assuming you had lots of bucks ... to just take a suite, maybe the Penthouse, on a ship doing lots of exotic sailings ... for example, the Prisendam? Negotiate with HAL for a per diem rate to have the suite 365 days a year. At least then you get all the services of a standard cruise ship, while having your own comfortable digs onboard. And, most importantly, it is far cheaper than buying a condo on a ship like the World.

I think the World is an entirely different environment than a regular cruise ship. I don't think they offer much of what a cruise ship does ... lots of entertainment, activities, and other staples of a cruise. People consider their condos on the World as vacation homes that move. They spend most of their time in their apartment, on their balcony and maybe at the pool. When the ship stops in ports, it generally stays there for several days so that residents can wander in and out of port at their leisure.

Like I said, even if I had the bucks to afford something like the World, I wouldn't be interested. I like cruising and everything associated with it, and I don't think I would get those things on a ship like the World. I'd sooner book myself some really nice digs on a HAL ship ... or even a luxury line ... and enjoy all those things, and at a far, far cheaper price.

Blue skies ...

--rita

But then I found out that everything was a la carte on it. Even people with a ton of money try to save a bit by buying provisions on land instead of on the ship.
Yep! I heard that too. If they eat in one of the onboard restaurants, their tab gets added to their onboard account. The ship also has a grocery-type store onboard where they can buy stuff to cook in their own kitchens. They can also hire one of the onboard chefs to cook a meal for them in their condo ... and you can bet that's not cheap.

Like I said, the World wouldn't be for me. When I cruise, I like to have all of the onboard services available to me. I'm not at all interested in cooking my own meals, nor in being nickle and dimed for every meal served to me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

But condos may have rules such as no undergraduates and/or no short term leases such as under a year term.

Maybe it's me ... but I just cannot understand this concept at all. Why spend all those bucks for the initial outlay when you are still paying to cruise in the form of the maintenance fees (and paying big bucks too!)

Wouldn't it make more sense ... assuming you had lots of bucks ... to just take a suite, maybe the Penthouse, on a ship doing lots of exotic sailings ... for example, the Prisendam? Negotiate with HAL for a per diem rate to have the suite 365 days a year. At least then you get all the services of a standard cruise ship, while having your own comfortable digs onboard. And, most importantly, it is far cheaper than buying a condo on a ship like the World.

I think the World is an entirely different environment than a regular cruise ship. I don't think they offer much of what a cruise ship does ... lots of entertainment, activities, and other staples of a cruise. People consider their condos on the World as vacation homes that move. They spend most of their time in their apartment, on their balcony and maybe at the pool. When the ship stops in ports, it generally stays there for several days so that residents can wander in and out of port at their leisure.

Like I said, even if I had the bucks to afford something like the World, I wouldn't be interested. I like cruising and everything associated with it, and I don't think I would get those things on a ship like the World. I'd sooner book myself some really nice digs on a HAL ship ... or even a luxury line ... and enjoy all those things, and at a far, far cheaper price.

Blue skies ...

--rita

High end condos can typically have monthly condo fees in the $5,000 per month and up range.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree with you and when I read the requirements for buying into this it was very obvious that there is a certain type of owner they are looking for. There is no chance they will be sailing with anyone with less than a certain financial stability. I personally did not find this appealing but some people feel very secure in a controlled environment. I'm with you....the penthouse sounds FABULOUS!!! Cherie

I agree with you and when I read the requirements for buying into this it was very obvious that there is a certain type of owner they are looking for. There is no chance they will be sailing with anyone with less than a certain financial stability. I personally did not find this appealing but some people feel very secure in a controlled environment. I'm with you....the penthouse sounds FABULOUS!!! Cherie

I feel the same way

A little while back someone posted a thread just for fun here

If time and money were no object what would your dream cruise be .

I had said I would love to sail on every line out there , in their top suite . Not so much a world cruise all at once on one ship. But eventualy taking enough cruises together you would have saiiled around the world and at the same time experience what each line has to offer.

Oh Ok Thanks

Wasn't really sure how that worked, I have never been in the position to buy one *LOL*

I know there have been a few celebs that got turned down . I guess the other tenents didn't want the bldg full of paparazzi and gawkers. Can't really blame them.

Boards have the power to turn down applicants, but they have to be careful to not run afoul of anti-discrimination laws.

But condos may have rules such as no undergraduates and/or no short term leases such as under a year term.

Co-op boards can make rules about leasing apartments, not so sure that they can rule out a class like undergraduates. Condo Boards usually have less power than Co-op boards do.

The World was built in 2002 and bought by the unit owners in 2003 I think. Not inexpensive and my recollection is that even the cheapest units start around 7 figures and you have a stiff bill for your share of operating costs. The units are very nice and would I like to live on it year round - you bet I would.

http://www.aboardtheworld.com/

[quote name='TheKuhnFamily']Jim: You seem to be an expert on HAL... Has HAL ever considered this concept? Timeshares, maybe?[/quote]

I have no idea what HAL has considered or not.

My own theory is that many of today's cruise ships will become low income housing, maybe even prisons, of the future.

Archived